pre-op/ post-op : does yoga help?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar bee

if OHR is such a mechanical strain on the sternum, rib cage, lungs, etc, why not do some yoga, extensive stretching (or whatever) PRE surgery in order to prepare the body a little bit for the incoming strain? I imagine that could reduce the strain, soreness post-op???

Furthermore, the yoga breathing exercises should also help to strengthen the lungs, right??? Again I am talking more pre- than post-op, but probably it would help both ways

anybody having experience with Yoga??

tks and well2all
ar bee

I think yoga or, for that matter, any CONSISTENT physical exercise is bound to help you -- the fitter you are before the surgery, the better. I don't do yoga, but I used to go to a Tibetan Buddhist center for a relaxation/meditation technique called Kum Nye and I try to keep up the exercises. It is more like tai chi than yoga. It involves very slow, deliberate motion like tai chi and also lots of breathing exercises.

But I think that what got me through both surgery and the recovery period with a minimum of back/shoulder/chest pain or sore muscles was that I religiously followed my cardiologist's orders to "WALK." From November to the middle of February I walked several miles EVERY day. I do mean every day. I am lucky in that I live in Northern California where even in winter the weather is usually mild enough to get out. On days of really heavy rain, I walked indoors. Malls are good if they will let you in to walk before the shops open (as some malls do these days -- there are several "Mall Walkers' Groups" in our area, mostly from senior centers, but nothing that says others can't participate).

I agree with Marge - that ANY exercise, both physical and mental, prior to surgery that will get the body more fit is going to help in the aftermath of surgery. I was in fairly good physical condition and able to keep active before surgery so my recuperation was rapid, however some just aren't able to do much. SOB, etc stops us cold, doesn't it.

I have done some (a novice) yoga and I look at yoga more from the mental aspect than the physical - I am wanting to get back into yoga soon post my mitral surgery last November but there are a lot of poses that I know would be risky to do with the sternum still healing. I want to start up yoga again mainly for the relaxation/spiritual/mental aspect that it has on me. I know several people who do yoga religiously and I want to be like them!! They are the calmest, happiest people, living for the moment.

Walking is the #1 best exercise for the physical body if you ask me - it also has a strong mental component to it also.

Christina L.

Three cheers for yoga! I am a big yoga fan and think that it helped to prepare me mentally before surgery, keep me in a relatively good frame of mind and keep me loose/limber post surgery. I started doing yoga stretches four days post-op and believe they helped alleviate pain and keeep me from stiffening up. As for the sternum, I figured they had w.i.r.e.d i.t. s.h.u.t. - the wires weren't going anywhere with a little stretching, and I let pain be my guide. Certain poses, especially childs pose, helped stretch the chest and back muscles that got messed with during surgery.

yoga

yoga

I am Honmonbutsuryushu. I have just begun to coach an individual on how he may meditate to relax. He is in stage one. I will today talk to him about stage two. In a few weeks depending on how he is doing I will continue.

I think yoga or tie che is a good direction. Just don't push to hard yet just keep yourself fit. After the surgery then start slowly pushing. With that said if you don't relish learning a new thing....try walking!!!

Namu Myohorenggekyo

Med

I'm a yogi. Been going to classes for years. I found that pre-op I wasn't able to do any exercise other than my yoga. I had to stop hillwalking, aerobics, ski-ing etc because I was too breathless. Yoga classes helped to keep me reasonably fit and supple but even then there were a few poses which I found too strenuous. Post-op I went back after about 3 months. Certain things I felt I couldn't do because it was putting too much strain on my breastbone but after about 6 months post-op I was back to normal. I do still have a problem however with a couple of wires which dig in and scratch the surface of my chest if I am stretching my upper body but I am going to mention this at my checkup in August and hopefully get them removed.

Shanti

Latest posts

Back