Powerball

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Douglas Riley

This is my first post but I've been visiting this site for a few years now. I have a question for anyone out there. I received a Powerball at Christmas for strengthening the wrist and forearms but on reading the instructions it said it was not to be used by anyone with any heart conditions. On the assumption that having my mitral valve replaced (mechanical) I now didn't really have a "condition". What do you think? Regards to all. Doug.

Ok, you've got me - what is a Powerball? Anyway, the best person to ask is one of your docs or an exercise therapist. How long ago was your surgery? I think the use would depend on what you do with the Powerball, and how those motions would affect your sternum, if you are still in the healing stages.

Sorry I'm not much help, but just wanted to welcome you - if you've been lurking for a while and decided to jump in, you are a brave one !

Is this it?
http://www.dynaflex-intl.com/
Send them an email (and post if you find anything). I would suspect it's just lawyerly language. If you use it, don't hold your breath (valsalva).
For the "heart condition" part of your question, here's what the American College of Cardiologists thinks: "Patients who have undergone valve replacement are not cured but still have serious heart disease. They have exchanged native valve disease for prosthetic valve disease and must be followed with the same care as patients with native valve disease...".

It will be a good exercise for the hands tto count the money you win with 'powerball'.

As for the exercise power ball, how heavy is it? or how much stress does it cause you?
I echo above friends, it is best to check with you doctor.

I would imagine that holding the breath while using it, which generates internal pressures, is the underlying concern. If you're concerned, by all means contact your cardiologist or his physician's assistant to see how that might work with your particular heart issues.

Patients who have undergone valve replacement are not cured but still have serious heart disease. They have exchanged native valve disease for prosthetic valve disease and must be followed with the same care as patients with native valve disease...
Pfahh! Too bad one of them didn't get up and say the same thing when the first broken leg healed. Then they'd have a franchise on that, too...

Best wishes,

thought maybe you got a ticket and you won (at first glance) but you got me/us. we don't know what the heck it is. maybe you can take a pic and show us. Sounds like we might have some takers in VR.

There have been warnings to those expecting valve replacement but we will wait for them to jump in. The warning might be for those who have damaged hearts or had a heart attack instead of damaged valves. I would not do it because I had a heart attack and then quad bypass and it would not be good for my heart to be pulling, lifting, tugging anything. for you it could be a whole other story. best wishes in finding the answer. then tell us?

Inside of it is a gyroscope and counter.

picture.php

Thanks Bina for saving me the trouble of posting a picture. This is basically a device for strengthening ones grip, wrists and forearms. I am 5 years after surgery and try to exercise both aerobically and with weights. I thought it could be something to do with a BP issue as this device could be deemed to work in an isometric manner. I'll contact my cardiologist and get his advice (hate to bother him). Soon as I know I'll enlighten you all. Thanks for the help. Regards, Doug.

Hey Doug, I just wanted to say "HI" and thanks for finally posting!
You can post on Throwdowns and let us know how you are keeping in shape. We encourage everyone to let us know what they are doing to have a healthy lifestyle. Whether you walk, bike , run, swim, walk your dog, tennis, golf, soccer, anything !! Let us know what you do. Debbie :)

I was wonderring if you started using the powerball and if you like it. I'm thinking of getting one for Justin, it would probably help his arm they moved his pec muscle from.

The Powerball was sold in the 1970's as "Dyna Bee" (see picture). I still have one. It exercises mostly the wrist and forearm muscles, but if you move it around it will also work the upper arm muscles to a lesser extent. I do not think that there would be many cautionary issues related to cardiac as the arm muscles are smaller and I don't see how even strenuous Powerball use would elevate the heart rate that much. It is kinda neat to use and does strengthen wrist and forearm muscles, but that's about it.

Back