Potentially deadly fungus spreading in U.S. and Canada

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

The airborne fungus, called Cryptococcus gattii, usually only infects transplant and AIDS patients and people with otherwise compromised immune systems, but the new strain is genetically different, the researchers said.

"This novel fungus is worrisome because it appears to be a threat to otherwise healthy people," said Edmond Byrnes of Duke University in North Carolina, who led the study.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63L66H20100422

Yep, I heard that on the radio this morning. Treatment requires months or years of anti-fungals. First thing I thought of is that the antifungals interact badly with the coumadin/warfarin.
Not good.

One more....

One more....

The airborne fungus, called Cryptococcus gattii, usually only infects transplant and AIDS patients and people with otherwise compromised immune systems, but the new strain is genetically different, the researchers said.

"This novel fungus is worrisome because it appears to be a threat to otherwise healthy people," said Edmond Byrnes of Duke University in North Carolina, who led the study.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63L66H20100422

I have not seen the article, but it is worrisome for us because fungal endocarditis is awfully difficult to treat. Mycotic aneurysms come to mind as well. Asperigilus fungi cause this usually but is a rare event. I feel people just discharged from hospital are also at risk, because the blood loss makes them a touch more susceptible. People with artificial valves and who take steroids for some other auto-immune condition have to be alert. These people have to be alert anyway as common bugs are waiting, so to speak. Enough alarm for the day but what we really do other than be on the lookout?
Thanks for the update Ross.

Yep, I heard that on the radio this morning. Treatment requires months or years of anti-fungals. First thing I thought of is that the antifungals interact badly with the coumadin/warfarin.
Not good.

As with so many other things, it can be adjusted for.

Jerry, as you know, had Blastomycosis in his lungs, which then disseminated to erupt on his skin. He was on Itraconazole for 18 months, and just last month was able to discontinue it. The CT scan finally showed his lungs had cleared and the blood test showed none of the antigen circulating in his bloodstream. As for coumadin, there was little problem in adjusting for it; however, it's taking a little while to get it adjusted after stopping the anti-fungal. This is probably exacerbated by his starting COQ10 recently. It'll work itself out though.

Latest posts

Back