Post-Surgical Question For Aneurysm Repair Folks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

I think I am going to have to create a pseudonym to post under so I don't look so obnoxious!

For those of you who have had aneurysms repaired, I have some questions. I am probably repeating myself here.

What sorts of activities are you able to engage in? What sorts of activities are you limited to? Are you able to do more than you previously were able to do?

1) Can you run?
2) Bike?
3) Ski?
4) Water ski?
5) Light weight lift?
6) Run road races?
7) Play basketball?
8) Play baseball?
9) Play flag/touch football?

What other things can you do

And again thank you to all of you for your patience, kindness, and attention. You really don't know how much it means to me.

What sorts of activities are you able to engage in? What sorts of activities are you limited to? Are you able to do more than you previously were able to do?

1) Can you run?
2) Bike?
3) Ski?
4) Water ski?
5) Light weight lift?
6) Run road races?
7) Play basketball?
8) Play baseball?

I had my ascending aorta replaced in Sept 2007. I can run, bike, ski, lift light weights - pretty much everything I could do before I can do now, even better. I don't play sports so I can't answer for those activities but once you are fixed and fully recovered, you should be able to do most anything. If you end up on Coumadin, you may want to be cautious with some of the more adventurous/high contact things.

You can't really use me to compare, because I had lots of things go wrong and lung disease to boot. I cannot do any of those mentioned things. I'm completely sedentary and on oxygen 24/7/365. Most of the others can pretty much do everything you've got listed. Robthatsme hasn't said a thing in any of these threads, so maybe this one will get his attention?

I'm 5 weeks post op today. I can not do any of the activities mentioned except walking. My recovery has been better than most and I expect to try some light jogging next week. I'm on a 10 lb restriction until 6.5.09, then 40 lbs, 80 lbs 7.5.09 and no restictions on 8.5.09. Come 6.5.09 I won't be able to pick up a 40 lb bar bell and start doing curls, but I will be able to so long as I use both arms, make sense?

I fully expect to resume all of my activities including skiing, sailing, backpacking, hunting, fishing, rock climbing, etc, etc...just trying to be patient and not rush it and hurt myself in the recovery process.

Hope this helps.

I had a David type valve sparing repair of an ascending aortic aneurysm in 2002 and can do all of that and more. No limitations.

I never really did most of those things before, but no one said I wouldn't be able to afterwards. I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to continue the lifestyle you have now. Obviously there will be a lot of restrictions at first as you are recovering, but in the long term you will probably be running and biking and playing sports like before--without the fear of your aneurysm hanging over your head. :)

After my repair, I went back to everything I had done previously, including step aerobics on two risers, weight machines (no isometric heavy lifting,according to my surgeon), skiing, walking, running, bicycling, etc. I got a tissue valve that surgery, so being anticoagulated wasn't an issue then.

I can do all of the above except flag football, since I do not know how to play...

I can run decently 7 km or so, so this is really the thing I have to crack. Will start a training program after I have recovered after my last surgical debacle. I used to run half marathons easily and full not so easily. So something has changed here, but I have been through a bit, and very few emergency surgeries seem to get to the same levels as planned surgeries.

I have stopped ice climbing due to colder hands than before and also diving due to that the risk still seems to be too high (but this is a bit unclear).

The main issue for me is the very strong heart thumping sensation, but this seems to be quite uncommon.

::g

I dont' know because I never did any of those things before my surgery :D.

Honestly though, here my answers:
1) Can you run? - Not since I retired from the Navy. I hate running. I do work on the eliptical, and stationary bike.
2) Bike? - See # 1
3) Ski? - I wish I could get my wife to go. I would love to go sking. I miss it.
4) Water ski? - No way! I spent 20 years in the Navy but I hate the water. I tried it after major chest surgery. I thought all my ribs were going to come apart.
5) Light weight lift? - Yes, if you count a 120z can of beer :). I do lift some free weights and workout on some machines.
6) Run road races? - Only if I am in the car :D:D
7) Play basketball? - No problem
8) Play baseball? - No problem
9) Play flag/touch football? No problem.

The only restriction I think was placed on me was not to do any heavy weight lifting, not that I did that much before surgery :).

Karl

Marfan people used to be told to avoid downhill skiing and other things where the chest could be hit (and the heart damaged). Strong BP control makes exercise safer. Weightlifting should be repetitive with lighter weights. (I know you have never been diagnosed as Marfan, however.)

I think I am going to have to create a pseudonym to post under so I don't look so obnoxious!

For those of you who have had aneurysms repaired, I have some questions. I am probably repeating myself here.

1) Can you run?
2) Bike?
3) Ski?
4) Water ski?
5) Light weight lift?
6) Run road races?
7) Play basketball?
8) Play baseball?

What other things can you do

And again thank you to all of you for your patience, kindness, and attention. You really don't know how much it means to me.

This reminds me of the joke where the guy goes in and asks the doctor if he can play piano. And the doctor says he can. And he goes "oh boy, thats great doc, cause I couldnt play piano before."
Having said that, there are many things on that list I couldnt do before the surgery! I do walk, I can still snow ski, I have never water skied, I swim...alot...in the ocean.Before my surgery last year I got out of breath when about 30 ft out. My son in law had to push me back to shore! Now, no shortness of breath!

Latest posts

Back