Post - surgery ... Day by day

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, coming to the end of Day 6... I went in last Wednesday at noon, and I came home Monday morning. It's now Tuesday night, and other than having a lot in common with kittens (strength, not mobility), I'm feeling

Great news!
My resting HR is 91 now - a far cry from the 58 that's been normal most of my life, but I'll take it, for now. I've got time, patience, and I'm sure it'll come along.

That's actually good development recovery.

Mine is down after nearly a year to a little less than before.

:)

Sounds very much like my experience, the afib was scary but I read before going in so it wasn't o ut of the blue. Glad your progressing well. Walk, eat, sleep, walk, eat sleep, walk, eat sleep :)
J
(BAVR September 7 2012.)

Congrats on your recovery, nice to know I can compare to someone who is so close to my surgery. This was my second and due to scar tissue and the very severe calcification of the valve. But, the recovery seems to be going better, probably because I know what I shouldn't do this time. What is really interesting to me is reading about the different INR rates for everyone here. I can't hear my valve click, my 11 year old daughter heard it as soon as I got home. The doc said due to the scar tissue I may not hear it. It may be me just tuning it out. My INR is supposed to be between 2.5 to 3.5. I don't understand it but that seems high it me, anyone know what causes the level number to be set? The other question I have is that since I took no meds 13 years ago with the first surgery, obviously warfarin is lifelong. What about metoprolol, 25 mg twice daily? Also, has anyone been on simnastatin, 20 mg daily? I am hoping these are meds that can eventually be dropped, other then warfin.

The metoprolol is used for 3 purposes post-op, as I understand it, Tom: to keep your blood pressure down, which eases the workload on the heart as it recovers, to keep your heart rate down (same reason), and to control afib. The need for it should decrease with time unless you have high blood pressure or ongoing issues with afib. I'm on a very low dose (6.25 mg twice daily) primarily because that was all I could tolerate when I started it in hospital. I'm sure I could tolerate more now, and think perhaps I could use a bit more as I still have occasional moments when I feel like I'm getting a bit of afib, especially since I stopped taking amiodorone. My list of drugs has shrunk from 7 to 3 over the past few weeks:)

As for your INR; typical target INR for mitral valve replacements is 2.5 to 3.5. I understand sometimes the target is a bit lower with AVR, but can't comment with any real authority on that. Hope that helps a bit, and good luck with your recovery!

JiFaire: I understand exactly what you mean comparing yourself to a kitten; I felt exactly the same way 6 weeks ago. Today, I'm steadily increasing speed and workload on my daily treadmill bouts, actually ran up 20 steps 2 at a time the other day, because I literally forgot for a moment that I shouldn't be able to, am doing light weights, and really feeling like I'm returning to normal. What an awesome feeling!!! And it's only a few weeks away for you too, I'm sure:)

Since I'm a nurse not a lot surprised me about the surgery. Two things did surprise me I'm two and half weeks post surgery now. First was a brachioplexus injury from the chest spreading that affected of the three fingers on my left hand. This is supposed to recover but it may take 3 to 6 months. Second I had a bout of a fib in the hospital that resolved with Metropolol and magnesium and just possibly on its own. The a fib came back about 1 1/2 weeks post surgery at home and on follow-up I found that it was because I was ignoring the whole low salt diet Instruction. Apparently there are some stretch fibers in the atria that react to increased fluid and can result in a fib during the recovery period if you are slightly fluid overloaded and I thought that the whole reason I was on low-salt diet was because every cardiac patient is on low-salt diet. Better now and being a more compliant patient.

Now that's a great observation to post! (Being compliant with the low-salt diet).

I thought that one was more suggestion than order, but I'll start obeying, right now!

Well, here we are, at + day 11, and today is a pretty good day.

Had a bit of a setback on +day 7; when taking my golf-ball-sized Potassium pills, I choked on one. Arrggh. I coughed for about 20 minutes before I got it all out, puked twice, and damn-near killed myself in the process.

As a result, I've been pretty sore the last few days, and my INR got out-of-whack (I didn't know if I puked up a Warfarin tab, and didn't want to take another (just in case the answer was no), so by Friday, my INR had dropped. I've been consistent since then, so maybe tomorrow will show me back in line. Today is also the first day I haven't been hurting from the coughing.

So, what did I learn?

1] Take the horse pill first; that way if you puke, you don't lose the others.
2] Potassium pills - big as they are - are easier to choke down whole than they are once broken in half (no rough edges, I guess.)
3] DON'T go to take meds without making sure your cough pillow is there with you, because you can't run for it when you need it. Matter of fact, take that little baby with you everywhere you go.
4] DW reaching around from behind, grabbing my pillow and hugging, allows me to cough, blow my nose, and everything else almost as if I wasn't hooked together like Mr. Potato Head. That all-round support is a nice thing when my ribs are trying to go their own ways; how come nobody told me that?

Anyway, more INR testing tomorrow AM, have a visit with my own doctor (first since before the surgery), and I'm busy staking out my spot near the fire, the tree, on the sofa, so the grand-daughters and I can open presents.

I have no intention of going to the malls... my daughter says the crush is unbelievable, and that people just force their way through the crowd. I doubt that would be nice on my poor wimpy sternum ...

Hope all of you are having a nice lead-up to Christmas.

3] DON'T go to take meds without making sure your cough pillow is there with you, because you can't run for it when you need it. Matter of fact, take that little baby with you everywhere you go.

Ahmen to that :)

Glad to hear you are doing well

:)

Hey Jim,

Glad to here today is a good day and I hope your next week over the holidays are just the same. I'm a bit ahead with day 24 today. I hear you when it comes to the potassium tablets, I had to break them in half, but a full drink of water with each. I always sat up straight to make sure it was a downhill slide. Way to scared to choke or cough for that matter. Well you must be close to the end of those bad buggers, I dropped those and a couple others at day 14. My only deal now is I get a little chest pain when going for deep breaths, but also the I may have moved that 4 litre milk jug a little too much. Settled into a warm spot in the house for Xmas now, just got home from a 2 hr hockey game at the rink, got a little chill. All the heaters are firing now tho, nothing like - 20 C for us northerners,, merry Xmas to you and your family Jim. Keep up the good work. :)

Oh, those potassium pills (shudder). I had a nurse who had a bit of a trick which worked great; take those suckers on a spoon with some applesauce - they slide right down. Jam works too, and I think I might have used yoghurt as well. Hope you have a great xmas, Jim (and you too Oilman!) You're both over the worst and on your way now; I'm at 9 weeks now and starting to feel almost normal. Take care of yourselves (you too pellicle), Merry Xmas and Happy New Year:)

Best Christmas Gift Ever!!

Best Christmas Gift Ever!!

So here I sit, watching my kids and grandkids open their stockings on this Christmas morning, and it dawns on me that this scene is brought to us by my friendly local cardiovascular surgeon... A fact for which I am profoundly grateful.

To all of my new friends on here, Merry Christmas, and know that I wish you the best of everything in the New Year.

So here I sit, watching my kids and grandkids open their stockings on this Christmas morning, and it dawns on me that this scene is brought to us by my friendly local cardiovascular surgeon... A fact for which I am profoundly grateful.

To all of my new friends on here, Merry Christmas, and know that I wish you the best of everything in the New Year.

Super nice post!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Rachel

Latest posts

Back