Post Operative Issues.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lorie,

From one BAVrepair to another......this is probably not your situation, but my husband had a BONE FRAGMENT that worked loose from the base of his incision. At first, we thought it was a wire but my dentist husband kept telling me it was bone. He turned out to be right! Fortunately, it worked itself out and kept him from having to follow through with a surgical visit!

Best wishes and please take it easy!

Lorie,

I am just now returning to normal strength in many directions (12/12/07 mitral valve repair). At 9 weeks, however, I didn't dare pull sideways or any ways, as my sternum's pain gave me ample warning to not do it. Since I babied my chest, I have been finally able to resume pushups (only 2 normal and 6 from my knees) and stop when pain starts. I can, however, carry two 40 lbs. buckets full of water for my chickens (gradually went from about a gallon in each arm at 10 weeks to full in about 15 weeks post surgery).

As for back and shoulder pain, I did something that I'm not sure I'd recommend for anyone else. I'm just saying it worked for me. I found a flat vertical wall section about 5 inches wide, stood as erect as possible, and firmly smacked the center of my back against that wall section. I heard several crunches as displaced vertebrae realigned and the pain almost instantly vanished. I got a very small amount of new pain near my sternum (I did this about 4 weeks post operation), but that quickly vanished. I did the same thing whenever my back or shoulders felt 'wrong' a couple of more times (always standing up as straight as possible) and the pain for me went away. I, of course, didn't lift more than a half gallon of milk at the time. I also made certain to thoroughly brace myself for any coughs with a wadded up jacket or my coughing pillow. An absolute for sneezes, too!

A friend of mine had excellent results with his heart, but terrible results with his sternum because he tried to lift 100 lbs. chunks of petrified wood and other rocks too soon after surgery. It hurt, but he ignored the pain. He now can't even lift 30 lbs. two years later, and his sternum still hurts. Moral: If it hurts, don't do it. At some point it will no longer hurt, then feel free to do whatever it was that used to hurt. Pain is your friend right now: Listen to its sage advice.

Yes, I concur with the others. It's time for X-ray or CAT scan. Then leave the weeding and raking for someone else. If necessary, hire some high school or college student to do it until your sternum problems have been resolved. A couple of hundred dollars paid now to someone else doing the work could save you a lifetime of agony. My prayers are with you.

Chris

Dear Harleygirl, I slept in a recliner for six weeks post-op. Went on a low impact vacation at 9 weeks still taking Darvocet every 4 hrs and only taking care of myself. Yard Work? You've got to be kidding me! The pain is telling you--You are doing too much physically. I had sternum pain from the minute I opened my eyes untill the twelve week milestone. Any time I over did it -The sternum told me. Take it easy girl. You have just been through the biggested trauma to your body (God willing )you will ever go through. It takes one year from your body to heal completely. I know you're tired of being confined and feeling bad but, give yourself a little more time to heal and listen to your body.

Just wanted to update you all regarding my "condition." I have done some extensive research on costochondritis and it appears that most of my symptoms line up with this so at least I know my problem has a name. It can and is aggravated by "overdoing it" so I have consciously been trying to take it easier and hoping for the best. Last night, in sheer desperation, I took the Percocet that I had left over and it really did help...along with a Motrin and I actually slept last night.

I did call a local cardiothoracic surgeon and set up an appt to evaluate the pain and the sternal wire. I also set up an appt with my primary care doctor for tomorrow just to get some more pain meds for sleeping. I guess I didn't realize how much they can help, as I have been trying to not take the pain meds. Spoke with Dr. Raissi's office and they concur with my plan of action but I did not call Dr. Raissi himself...coincidentally they called me to check on me today so I told them my situation.

More than the specific advice, I want to thank you for the moral support. I "disconnected" there for a while, and that was probably the worst thing I could have done. I wasn't even taking calls from my best friends, just feeling like isolating myself and curling up in a little ball. I refuse to succumb to this, however, and chose instead to be in a state of thankfulness and patience. I realize now, after you all shared your stories of recovery, that I was expecting too much too soon and I am probably more the norm than not.

In terms of cardiac rehab, well I did start last week, as recommended and I have to be honest, I don't think it is really going to be all that helpful and seems to be more of a time committment than I am willing to give. Honestly, I am by FAR the youngest person (that isn't the problem, being the youngest person in there, makes me feel good) but the level of exercise is far too light, only 10 mins per machine for 30 mins total and then 30 minutes of education and some pre-stretches and light weight lifting. I have been exercising more vigorously since week 2 or 3 and this really isn't my ideal of the "highest and best use of my time." I can't imagine doing this for 12 weeks....I am the ONLY person that has had open heart surgery except for one other guy and his surgery was years ago. The only thing positive I can say about it is that it ensures that I get out of the house and do some exercising. ANyone have any thoughts on this, should I continue or just bow out and do something more constuctive with my time, like vigorously walking for 45 mins or so?
It's three days a week and really cuts into my time, from 10:30 am to noon.

Nice to see you back Marguerite~your posts always brighten my day and your optimism is contagious! Thanks!

Take care everyone!

Lorie,

Sorry to hear about your setbacks.
I too have been struggling lately with sleep and with keeping positive attitude. Although I've been lucky enough to avoid (so far) the unfortunate complications you are dealing with. I have had some recovery frustration though.
I'm in a similar rehab program. We only get 30 minutes of excercise and my surgeon has limited me to 100bpm. This makes it almost impossible for any type of real excercise. I'm 29 and the other people in my class are more than 2x my age. I'd also call it an almost vampiric atmosphere when I got there. Everyone was grumpy and complained all the time. However, I approached this as almost a game. I wanted to see how an enthusiastic and positive attitude would affect others in such a gloomy environment.
I vocally leveled with my trainer about my expectations and they agreed to let me work harder and longer. If I complained at all, it was on how I wanted to push more. I made a conscious effort to be happy and enthusiastic about it even when I really didn't feel like it. It turns out it rubbed off and now I actually look forward to rehab. I haven't lost any weight yet (frustrating) but I'm feeling better and I think I'm starting to look healthier.
As for getting real excercise out of it, I'm not too sure... BUT, what I have been using it for is to suck as much information and guidance from the staff as possible. This helps me identify my real physical limitations and has helped me to identify how far I can safely push myself when I excercise on my own. I've been trying to get in other excercise every day on top of my rehab. (I HIGHLY suggest Tai Chi for balance, flexibility, and attitude boost) Also, by showing enthusiasm, I've really gotten the staff to take notice and dedicate their time to helping me out because they're happy to finally have someone who wants their help.
Going through all of this is certainly a mental challenge above all else. I understand your point on isolation as well. Being raised as an only child, I naturally gravitate to isolation, especially under stress. My wife works all day and I'm on my own most of the time. I'm also a little germaphobic at the moment. I actually went into work for an hour today just so I could feel like I was part of something again. Now, work sucked, but being there helped me realize that I really do have great friends and family that are there for me. Even those who I didn't know were friends at the time.

Without discounting the reality of the situation we are in, I truly believe that we are all strong enough to use this to our advantage. Instead of letting this event bring us down in defeat and despair, we can use it as the defining moment in our lives to propel us towards a greater purpose, whatever we choose that to be. Easier said than done, I know, but it keeps me going every morning I wake up. We all have the heart of a warrior, otherwise we wouldn't have made it this far.

May you be well, at ease, determined, and happy.
-Brian

"You must retain faith that you can prevail to greatness in the end, while retaining the discipline to confront the brutal facts of your current reality."
-Admiral Stockdale

harleygirl528 said:
In terms of cardiac rehab, well I did start last week, as recommended and I have to be honest, I don't think it is really going to be all that helpful and seems to be more of a time committment than I am willing to give. Honestly, I am by FAR the youngest person (that isn't the problem, being the youngest person in there, makes me feel good) but the level of exercise is far too light, only 10 mins per machine for 30 mins total and then 30 minutes of education and some pre-stretches and light weight lifting. I have been exercising more vigorously since week 2 or 3 and this really isn't my ideal of the "highest and best use of my time." I can't imagine doing this for 12 weeks....I am the ONLY person that has had open heart surgery except for one other guy and his surgery was years ago. The only thing positive I can say about it is that it ensures that I get out of the house and do some exercising. ANyone have any thoughts on this, should I continue or just bow out and do something more constuctive with my time, like vigorously walking for 45 mins or so?
It's three days a week and really cuts into my time, from 10:30 am to noon.

Nice to see you back Marguerite~your posts always brighten my day and your optimism is contagious! Thanks!

Take care everyone!

Hi Lori,
Tom went for his first cardiac rehab appointment today, it was just an evaluation. They set him up for a 7am time because of the class and who is in it. They thought he would be better off with younger people, even though he's 64 yrs young, who had to get up and start the day early because of work constraints, etc. even though we're both retired. He could have gone to the 8:15, 9:30, 11 or 12pm class three times a week but they thought because of who was in the class, he would have a more successful experience with the earlier and younger folks. Perhaps you may have this option. We have a home gym, a lot of equipment that's at cardiac rehab, but the opportunity to be monitored, encouraged while exercising, being pushed when it's appropriate is an advantage plus socializing with other OHS patients has got to be a plus, mentally and emotionally. So maybe the time you go can determine if you would get a more appropriate class.

Have you gone at all? I would give it a try.

Take care,

Judith

You know, Lorie, I was thinking again about the depression issue that you mentioned in your first post. Hopefully you're feeling better in this regard.

But I was recalling something that helped me think my way through some of my darker post-op moments. My problem was that I was feeling like a sickly failure. And it was in regard to the fact that I had to have another heart surgery just to survive and just to live. I don't ordinarily have dark thoughts. I'm not exactly a Pollyanna but I usually have many Pollyanna moments and I always figure things might get better tomorrow, no matter how dark they look today. But this dark post-op thinking was different for me and no doubt related to recovering from OHS. What helped me think through it was that I considered that lots of people need more common surgeries, such as C-sections and appendix removals, just to survive and just to live--and this made me feel much more positively about my valve replacement. It's a big surgery of course; but it's just one of many life-saving surgeries really.

Anyway, I thought I'd post it because it was something that helped me. Hope this finds you feeling better :) .

Lorie - I continue to have sleeping issues at 4 1/2 months out. The constant clicking and having to sleep on my back is enough to make me go crazy. I also have tightness and soreness about my neck and shoulders - massages help this alot.

I have been working for some time now and that takes my mind off the slower than I expected recovery. I did 24 classes of rehab and while they started easy enough, they told me the goal was to increase endurance and not intensity and to get your heart rate up to 20% above the resting rate. After the 24 sessions which ended a couple weeks ago, I feel pretty strong.

As for the weight, I thought I would lose all kinds of weight in the hospital (and so did my friends) and look like a war camp survivor on my release - but did not happen; I am about the same weight as I was going in.

My only words of wisdom are:

1. Go to the doctor if you have pain or questions.
2. Be patient.

Hope you have a wonderful Easter! - Jim :cool:

Lorie, if it were me, I would go to the classes, and ask for some extra-strong exercise - if nothing else, it seems to be getting you out the house. I think your posts are some time apart, but it may be one way to battle the blues - getting out sure beats curling up in a ball and vegetating . . . .

Glad to see your post

Glad to see your post

Hey Lorie, Im sorry you are having a time up there. I hope you are doing better today. I do have to agree with some of the others, I didnt think recovery would be this hard or long. As docs have said "you will feel just like yourself in a few months" humm all of them at least the ones I've talked to have not had there chests cracked. So from those that have had it done, it takes longer for some then others, and this is totally normal. My rehad was 36 visits long, I was the youngest by far, but it got me out of the house and comuning with others like myself (OHS) patients, we do have very similar thoughts and needs post op, regardless of our ages. So I would say go out to the classes and comune up a storm. The costrocondritis is a royal pain in the @%% so to speak, it does get better with time. I tried to do yard work post opand found that the hedge trimmers shure did hurt, actually what probably ended me up in the hospital for a night, eah go figure. Relax take it easy, I know that is not easy, but your body needs the rest, and is tellinhg you so. Hope your pain lessens soon; as we have taked about chronic pain is a frustrating thing in its self.
Lots of thoughts for you, Miike
Ps your husband is really looking out for the one he loves, as my wife did for me.;)

Weight

Weight

Forgot to say I lost about 30lbs post op. Started my Cardiac Rehad and gainede 25 of it back. Was the only one in my rehab class that gained weight. Took another year to lose 20 of that, so it was a process for me but doable. Just wanted to give my 2 cents on that. Mike

Interestingly, I think it was yard work that set my costochondritis off also! I was pruning the lower branches off some trees with a saw, perhaps a little too early post-op.

Latest posts

Back