Post Operation question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Santos

Hello everyone this is my first post here. On April 13th 2011 I had Mitral Valve Repair at Redwood City, CA. Everything has gone pretty good but I still feel right pectorial pain and some fatigue. I am about 8-9 weeks post-op so I am wondering how normal this is. The pain is sharp at times then feels dull and runs up to my neck sometimes. I dont have a fever and I am eating fine. I was wondering if this was normal and when all the pain and discomfort goes away. I did a echo a few weeks ago and my Cardiolist said my Mitral looks fine with mild-moderate leakage and he cannot hear a murmor anymore and he said my tricuspid valve had mild leakage which he said was very normal and was not a big deal. Anyways I just wanted to post and get some feedback, I think at times I get impatient but I guess its only 8-9 weeks out but I feel like I should be alittle farther along.

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.
Yep, sounds like them nerve endings are healing, but I think they should be almost finish giving you the discomfort.

Keep in mind that everyone heals differently and at this stage of post-op you can take 3 steps forward then have two steps back during recovery, meaning 3 really good days and do too much for our own good then have 2 days of feeling like crap. Try not to get discourage, this pain and fatigue just might be normal for you and for others.

It's been four years since my surgery, but remember trying to do some gardening at 12 weeks after surgery and I was still getting tired and sore if I did too much.

Hi Mike. I'm 15 weeks post-AVR-op and just worked the past two weeks a full 40 hours each. I am completely and utterly exhausted by the time the weekend rolls around. It's frustrating because when you are feeling good, you are feeling really good (probably better then before the surgery) but then you do too much and you crash. Just keep reminding yourself you had major surgery two months ago. It will be a while before you are completely healed. Heck, I just started having pain this past week in my right shoulder incision. They had some monitor there during surgery and it's been completely numb since then. I guess with the pain the nerves are finally starting to heal.

Take care, rest when you need to and you'll be back to yourself in no time!
Heather

Mike, I had the same sharp to dull pains, and for me it was just to the left of my sternum, and was worse when I turned my head to the right. That was at 6-9 weeks post operation, and now at almost 15 weeks post operation I don't have any of the pain in my chest/sternum. Once in a while I will get very dull aches in my chest, but it is typically on a day after doing too much. Most often, I feel back to normal aside from the ticking! It did get markedly better for me after 12-13 weeks, although many people on here seem to turn a corner at around 8-10 weeks also. Hope it continues to go well for you.

I'm about 3 weeks post op from AVR and the only pain I still have from surgery (besides the incisions which are nearly healed) is a deep dull/sharp pain to the left of my sternum. It does seem to get worse the more I try to do physically so I've been trying to hold back and not overdo it too soon.

My cardiologist attributed the pain to the aortic reconstruction that was done during my surgery - perhaps it's all part of the healing process?

Glad to hear it gets better soon! A bit of Tylenol seems to do the trick to manage the pain for me. At least it doesn't keep me awake at night.

David

It sounds like you are doing pretty well. Did you have it done minimally invasive or sternotomy out of curiousity? Keep in mind that they did have to cut through muscle. That takes a while to heal.

Did you and are you doing your post-op physiotherapy exercises? As Mickey Mouse as they may seem, it is imperative to do them ASAP after surgery to avoid musculoskeletal immobility and pain.

Mike Santos
Welcome to our Family and to the other side of the mountain !!!!! Surprised me, your only 20 minutes from me........and had your surgery the day before I had mine.
My Surgeon told me, the occasional sharp pains, I am having on my left side, shooting from breast to arm pit....are nerves that were cut, healing themselves and would lessen with time. I take Tylenol for this, as my Surgeon said no aspirin products, except the 80 mg enteric coated baby aspirin, I take daily. I am also feeling extreme fatigue at times ( felt better at 6wks post op than now) .........but I think it is from some depression, I am experiencing mostly. I was supposed to start Cardiac Rehab on June 7th.. then June23...insurance still has not approved it ......I am FRUSTRATED.........I think this is contributing to the depression. I am willing, and ready to go....soooooo ready, but insurance companies seem to not take a patient's emotional/ psychological feelings into account. I have a treadmill and a recumbent bike, I am trying to work out on, while waiting for the insurance approval, but it worries me, when my pulse jumps up to 130 after only 3-5 minutes on the recumbent bike.. I had been doing very well, felt better daily... till dealing with my insurance's lagging occurred............and I know, post OHS depression is common, just want these feeling to go away, not wanting to even get out of bed some days, or having some of my sense of humor "missing in action", it is definitely not me. I want ME back...lol. I am trying very hard to be..............Patient. Have an appointment with my GP next week, will discuss this with him.........see if a anti-depressant , even for a short time would be helpful. ( They take about a month to really get in our systems, to give us positive results and I sure hope my insurance company works faster than a drug !)
Your not alone , Mike. I am sure these things will pass soon, for both of us. My prayers are will you....
Renee
GO Team 2011 !!!!!

Dx BAV with severe stenosis and 3 proximal arteries 75%+ occluded 11/2010 4/14/2011 AVR Edwards "Magna" Bovine Tissue Valve / a Triple Bypass. St Agnes in Fresno,Ca. Dr Richard Gregory ( no complications)

Latest posts

Back