Post-op transition from prescribed narcotics to OTC meds (Advil vs. Tylenol)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SB42

Hi all,

I thought I would pass on this information that I recently found out. After I was released from the hospital, I was given Dilaudid (40 count) for pain management. I now know that Dilaudid is a serious narcotic that I guess can be very addictive because when I asked for more, the surgeon / cardiologist said, "no way." My general Dr. then prescribed me Hydrocodone (generic for Vicodin). Started taking that, but soon found out that I responded well to Advil. Would take Hydrocodone after those horrible coughing spouts due to the fluid buildup in my lungs (as we all know is common with OHS). So I continued taking Advil to manage my pain...

Here is the interesting fact that I recently found out....first off, I am not a doctor, but my father-in-law is a world renowned orthopedic surgeon. I was telling him how I was able to make the switch to OTC (over the counter) meds (i.e. Advil). He told me I would be better off taking Tylenol as Advil supposedly has ingredients (don't ask me what they are) that SLOWS the bone healing process. Guess what, I am now using Tylenol as my pain medication without having to use maximum daily usage - LOL

Just food for thought as my post is intended for informational purposes only, I recommend that you direct any of your specific medication questions to your specific medical resources! In other words, don't take my word for it ;)

Best,

Scott

Thanks.

Post op, after coming off the Dilaudid I was only given Tylenol and was specifically told not to take Advil. Perhaps that was the reason. :)

Does support my statement, Roberta....thanks for having my back ;)

Interesting, Hydrocodone (generic Vicodin) actually has Tylenol in it...so you CAN NOT mix both!

sounds consistent, Jkm7...appears that Tylenol is most recommended choice post prescribed narcotics...

For me, taking Tylenol did as much good as would eating the buttons off my shirt. No effect for me, regardless of dosage. Once I was able to drop the hydrocodone, I really didn't need anything anyway.

LOL...next time try some maple syrup with those buttons from your shirt...good to hear your transition from prescribed meds to OTC went well!

Most generally, cardios will recommend tylenol to those who are blood thinners. I was and still take it when needed, which is not often. But as a cardinal rule, as for all antiinflammtoid meds, you need to have the liver tested for damage. As you have heard on television more often these days, these fly by night lawyers are playing on this information to make money. All it boils is common sense and good care of your body. Just always be careful on taking meds and no changing them without consulting a medical person. Take care and keep taking care of the body, hugs for today.

I stopped taking hydrocodeine 5 days post op, because it played havoc with my already sensitive digestion. I just used paracetamol, which I think is the same as Tylenol. I think I was very lucky though, because I did not suffer much from post op pain. I was also advised to avoid ibuprofen containing pain killers, because they can interact with warfarin.

@carolinemc & Madsometimes...thank you for the useful information provided for us "all." I decided tissue (Bovine) so not on bloodthinners...carolinemc's point of always consulting your medical resource is priceless! I thought, without asking, Advil was my solution because I responded best to it, that is until I spoke with my father-in-law, who is a doctor, and told me the disadvantages of Advil vs. Tylenol. Tylenol actual is getting it done for me, so win-win :)

I got off the percocet 3 days post-surgery because I hated the way it made me feel. I wasn't in much pain so they gave me tylenol and it worked fine for me. I have a bovine valve so no blood thinners (except a baby aspirin). I do take an anti-inflammatory every day for a herniated disk. They took me off that 7 days pre-surgery but I was allowed to start taking them again 2 days post-op.

Day 3 post op, the nurse gave me a morphine pill at night.....AWFUL.
Day 4 post op, the nurse gave me an Oxycodone pill.....AWFUL.
They got mad when I refused their stupid drugs, but I managed to get regular Tylenol daily for the next few days.
No problem with that one and it just took the edge off the pain so that I could still function a bit.

Latest posts

Back