Post Op Fluid Retention

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

I have my AVR plus repair of two others on Nov 26. Maybe 5 days post-op, I started to retain fluid again (had a big bout of that pre-op for a few weeks).

They have me on Lasix (40mg, 3X per day) and some other water pill that starts with "S" that I am too lazy to look up right now. That was 3 days ago. Since then, I've lost about 3 pounds, but the swelling is still pretty bad from my feet to my knees and to the eye, appears to only be reducing a tiny bit.

Doc's told me to go to ER if I had a sudden weight gain or if this bump from 80mg to 120mg per day didn't help.

I never seem to be able to get an answer as to why I am retaining fluids. Pre-op, it was CHF, but my lungs are almost 100% clear now and this seems to be localized to legs only.

Anyone else go through this and if so, how was it dealt with?
Kev

Yes, walking a ton and will keep doing so. Lost 3 pounds between yesterday and this morning. Eating like a piglet, so there must be some fluid coming out, I hope.

Good to know that the walking actually helps.
Thanks Ross!
Kev

My legs were balloons when I got out. It took, I'll bet 6 weeks or so until they came down to a more normal appearance. You might want to go to the drug store and get some mild compression stockings. They feel good as well as help squeeze the water from your legs and feet up and out.

Yeap. Kev are you walking around a lot? Mine seemed to only subside by walking it out.

I agree with Ross, with the walking AND compression stockings.
my other thought was are you watching your salt intake? especially since you are eating alot? I'm not just talking about the salt you add to the food, but how much salt is in the food to start with. If you are not cutting down on the salt (if you wereen't already on a low salt diet) it will be harder to get rid of the fluid.

I think since you had SO much fluid problems pre op it will be a little tougher getting rid of the fluid post op than a person who wasn't having fluid pre op.

I had this as well and agree with Ross. Plus, do not sit in a chair/couch with your legs hanging down for long periods. Either lie down (with a pillow under your legs to elevate them), sit with your legs elevated (like in a lazy boy recliner with the foot rest up), and do more walking. This will help to mobilize the fluid.

The other diuretic drug they gave you is probably Spironolactone, a mild diuretic that also helps to reduce potassium loss from Lasix.

Bill (former pharmacist)

You may want to get a Prescription from one of your Doctors for Compression Stockings that are sized and specified by the amount of compression needed. These can be obtained through Medical Supply outlets (by prescription only).

You may want to get a Prescription from one of your Doctors for Compression Stockings that are sized and specified by the amount of compression needed. These can be obtained through Medical Supply outlets (by prescription only).

If you do that, make sure to get the tool to put them on with. You won't get them on by yourself without it!

Latest posts

Back