Post-op Atrial Fibrillation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rider76

Two weeks post AVR and in rehab hospital. For the past week, I've had increasing edema in my legs, more shortness of breath and am not walking as far as I did six days post op.There is poor medical supervision from the resident doctor. I phoned my cardiologist and had friend drive me there today. She diagnosed post-op A-fib. She changed my medications, adding a blood thinner, increasing the Lasix and adding meds to keep my blood pressure up.

It's frightening to think that the A-fib was not caught here. It never occurred to me that - despite its high Medicare rating - this rehab does little more than "warehouse" its patients and do light PT.

Catherine

Not fun, is it? Also, afib is not uncommon immediately following aortic valve surgery. Hope yours can be resolved with meds until it decides to settle down.

I had some afib for the first month post-op. I was given warfarin and amioderone for a few months, but since my afib stopped at about 4 weeks out, I was able to discontinue these meds at month 3.

So why are you at a rehab hospital? Sounds like you'd be just as well off at home, not to mention more comfortable in your own environment which will help you feel less like a sick person and get you recovering better too. Just my two cents worth. :)

I can echo what Steve said above, a-fib is VERY common post-op and the treatment for it is warfarin, which you're probably already taking. Some people remain in a-fib for years, so while it's not very comfortable, it really isn't anything to panic about. :)

So why are you at a rehab hospital? Sounds like you'd be just as well off at home, not to mention more comfortable in your own environment which will help you feel less like a sick person and get you recovering better too. Just my two cents worth. :)
I would much rather be home, but I live alone and both the surgeon and cardiologist felt I was safer in rehab. Now I'm not so certain. I'll give it another week and see if I feel safe enough to go home. My balance is improving, so I can hope.

Catherine

Latest posts

Back