Possible cause of endocarditis?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a different question. Is there a definitive test for endocarditis while it is developing? If you have been feeling unwell with symptoms of a cold that has lingered too long, with or without a fever, could you do a blood test and determine endocarditis? I ask because I've had so much dental work in the last 2 months and have some bleeding in gum, and now I have a cold (cough, headache but no fever) for a week. Having heard all stories, I always worry about endocarditis, but I am sure if I go to my PCP and ask for a test she will laugh it off. When I was first diagnosed, they asked me about having a high fever in the last few years, and then I talked about it with the cardio and she said endocarditis is associated with a high fever and is not like a common cold. However, I hear from people who have had it that they felt unwell for a while without a fever. It's so scary, now everytime I have a cold I get nervous.

They do blood cultures

Blood cultures are the way to go. Unfortunately it can be tricky. I started feeling run down in November. I almost fainted while just sitting there on Thanksgiving. Then through December I just got short of breath with everything . . . a flight of stairs, snow blowing the driveway, moving my luggage. So I finally made an appointment with my cardiologist at the beginning of January. He, judging from an echo, said my valve was failing and I needed to have surgery. With this I decided it would be smart to have the surgery closer to my family. This led to me going to a second cardiologist at the end of January. She noticed that I had a mild fever, something like 99.6. She sent me to get a blood culture. This came back positive after 5 days and I was in the hospital that night. The weird thing is that none of my other blood cultures have every come back positive, even the one that they gave me when I first got to the hospital that night before they started antibiotics. However with antibiotics I was less short of breath and then needed surgery after some questionable images with the TEE and MRI. After being in there, there was significant damage done. So on the whole I feel pretty lucky that one blood culture caught it but since I have had so many now that have been negative, I don't know what to trust.

I had Cardiobacterium hominis, which is a very slow-growing bacteria. There is still no definitive answer to how I got it. It is a little troubling to know that 2/3 of people have this in their throats and noses.

I also have to add that the whole thing is annoying since I have cut myself too many times to count. I have worked on bikes and cars since I was 10. All of my knuckles have scars from the number of times I have bashed them from a wrench slipping. Therefore, I agree with the chance comment. I think there is no way to stop yourself from ever cutting yourself and still live a life. With that said, I still have to fight my paranoia daily concerning what could reinfect me.

(bad habit I know):eek: that some patients are more susceptible to bacteria causing endocarditis than others.

and because most members are anticoagulated a skin breaking wound might possibly bleed more washing bacteria out.

Interesting subject.

Yes, very interesting! My husband is post endocarditis 2005 from strep viridans (mouth bacteria). We were told that he would have an increased risk of contracting the disease again, having had it once. He burnt his mouth at a BBQ 2 weekends ago, and I was obsessed over this burn. I contacted the mayo about possibly medicating him after this burn and was told that it was not necessary if the wound was not festing pus. Odd, he had nothing festering pus when he aquired endo the first time? His dentist even commented one week after the burn of the size of the wound at his teeth cleaning. I discussed this situation with 2 general surgeons I work for, and they both felt in their opinion, Nathan should be medicated -the risk of reinfection is something that should try to be prevented because the consequences are so severe, but that they also agree that it is a controversial subject. So far, we are 2 weeks post burn with no antibiotics and so far, no increase in temp :D Poor guy...I keep trying to get him to go for a culture, but he just won't! I often wonder, as did one surgeon, how much being anticoagulated is preventing these type of infections by washing out the wounds.

infections by washing out the wounds.
Don't know about anticoagualation helping to increase infection,But it may
help him to prevent it by a swish/garge with peroxide or a maximum strength listerine.
I also had endo as a resuly of oral surgery so have used this technique in
the past when worried. My best-Dina

Last edited:
Yes, very interesting! My husband is post endocarditis 2005 from strep viridans (mouth bacteria). We were told that he would have an increased risk of contracting the disease again, having had it once. He burnt his mouth at a BBQ 2 weekends ago, and I was obsessed over this burn. I contacted the mayo about possibly medicating him after this burn and was told that it was not necessary if the wound was not festing pus. Odd, he had nothing festering pus when he aquired endo the first time? His dentist even commented one week after the burn of the size of the wound at his teeth cleaning. I discussed this situation with 2 general surgeons I work for, and they both felt in their opinion, Nathan should be medicated -the risk of reinfection is something that should try to be prevented because the consequences are so severe, but that they also agree that it is a controversial subject. So far, we are 2 weeks post burn with no antibiotics and so far, no increase in temp :D Poor guy...I keep trying to get him to go for a culture, but he just won't! I often wonder, as did one surgeon, how much being anticoagulated is preventing these type of infections by washing out the wounds.

Wow poor guy is right......I was told by alot of cardio's and past surgeon the risk of endo is higher being subjected to it once already,and with 2 valves now much greater risk for me .Wonder why?

I sure hope your hubby is alright and pray he stays feverless,thats bit scarey for you's.

I never heard about the part being anticoagulated prevents these types of infections by washing out the wounds:confused:

zipper2 (DEB)

Wow poor guy is right......I was told by alot of cardio's and past surgeon the risk of endo is higher being subjected to it once already,and with 2 valves now much greater risk for me .

This is the reason my private dentist won't touch me and why the hospital here treat me like a VIP. Previous endocarditis, two mechanical valves then throw into the pot type II diabetes, kidney stones, diverticular disease, haemorrhoids, my stroke caused by endocardits and underactive thyroid. To quote my hospital dental surgeon, I am off the scale. I keep a suitcase packed at all times since I live alone.

This is the reason my private dentist won't touch me and why the hospital here treat me like a VIP. Previous endocarditis, two mechanical valves then throw into the pot type II diabetes, kidney stones, diverticular disease, haemorrhoids, my stroke caused by endocardits and underactive thyroid. To quote my hospital dental surgeon, I am off the scale. I keep a suitcase packed at all times since I live alone.

Thanks for the confirmation Sue and i think if i got it again i'd be
more aware 2nd time,knowing what symptoms to watch for.There is alot of things to trigger endocarditis .......for sure even the unknown things:(
Thanks again for info,this is a very interesting thread Gail posted.

zipper2 (DEB)

Thanks for the confirmation Sue and i think if i got it again i'd be
more aware 2nd time,knowing what symptoms to watch for.There is alot of things to trigger endocarditis .......for sure even the unknown things:(
Thanks again for info,this is a very interesting thread Gail posted.

zipper2 (DEB)

I think one of the reason people with a history of BE are on the group who still premedicate before dentists, even with the newer guidlines, is because their risk is high for getting it again (but I've never really understood why)

I think one of the reason people with a history of BE are on the group who still premedicate before dentists, even with the newer guidlines, is because their risk is high for getting it again (but I've never really understood why)

I must admit that I don't understand why either since the bugs were good and truly zapped and my valves replaced. The only thing that I can think of is AS it doesn't hit every person who has bleeding gums and all the other situations which can cause it that some people are more susceptible than others. Having said that we have members here who have had it more than once and since it isn't a common disease then this must be the case.

Back