Pooled Purchasing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Protimenow,
I don't recall the poster's name but you coincidentally, I am sure, remind me of someone who had not tested his INR for a very long time. I'm finding an irony that you are very involved with multiple home test machines and strips and what not............

Wish I could remember more details but he hasn't posted here in a long time. Could it possibly be you? Don't know and that is why I am asking.

jkm7 - as you may have seen on other threads, I bought my meters on eBay. I have a physician who orders the strips for me from a medical supplier. My original tester was a 'classic' ProTime meter, and it worked just fine. I saw ProTime 3 meters - the next generation - and the illustrations made them look much smaller, plus the battery was replaceable, and it looked like the display was easier to read. I figured that an inexpensive upgrade to a smaller, probably more capable meter (for about $50) wasn't a bad idea, so I was able to buy it. It seems to work great and takes the same strips. It's not really smaller, but it works just fine.

I had been reading on this forum how members liked the CoaguChek and InRatio machines much more. I didn't realize that the CoaguChek S was this close to end of support (and end of strip supply) and got one, brand new in the box, for $40 DELIVERED. I thought I would compare the results to my ProTime, and decide which meter I actually prefer when it came time to get more strips.

I would imagine some of those on this forum have upgraded meters - perhaps from CoaguChek S to CoaguChek XS or from InRatio to InRatio 2. The difference may be that I didn't pay as much for either meter and I kept my old meter. Had I known about the impending end of support for the CoaguChek S, I may not have even bought the meter for $40. I was about to forget about buying the CoaguChek S when the vendor accepted my ridiculous offer of $40 for the meter.

If I don't waste most of my CoaguChek strips trying to get a good test, I should be good, test-wise, until next June. My ProTime strips don't expire until next March - and I'm not burning through them, either. I'll be doing tests using both meters to verify the continued accuracy of the CoaguChek S - a matter of personal curiosity. My total cost for my original ProTime meter, my ProTime 3, my CoaguChek S, and a backup ProTime meter that I was able to get for 99 cents, plus $5 shipping was less than the price of a box of XS or InRatio strips.

Who knows - perhaps I'll have a medical plan before then that will actually reimburse me for an XS or InRatio 2 bought from a more legitimate source by the time I'm out of strips. Then again, even though it's larger than the other meters, and the strips require refrigeration, I may just continue with my old reliable ProTime 3.

Last edited:
I am not on coumadin so have no need for strips or test machines (though I realize that could change in the future).
I only commented because you remind me so much of the other poster I mentioned and wondered if you could be that same person. He has not posted here for a long time and I don't remember what his poster name was.

Someone listed what they thought was his(?) name, but I wasn't able to find any posts when I searched for him. I'm wondering who he was, what his story was, and why he's not here any longer. (I also saw a post that said something about him being banned. I wonder if that's true)

Mr. Protimenow,
I don't recall the poster's name but you coincidentally, I am sure, remind me of someone who had not tested his INR for a very long time. I'm finding an irony that you are very involved with multiple home test machines and strips and what not............

Wish I could remember more details but he hasn't posted here in a long time. Could it possibly be you? Don't know and that is why I am asking.
It was ClickerMark from California. Middle aged dude, no health insurance, tech reviewer and writer for a couple of mags.
Real name is M--- B---------
Gone from this site May 2009 after posting too much bull regarding Home Monitors and Home Testing.

Latest posts

Back