Plavix information

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilyn

Can someone give me information on Plavix. I was recently put on it plus 2 aspirin. Is there typical side affects? I have been on it a little over 2 weeks. Someone told me to watch going to the dentist. Also, on my records it says acute coronary syndrome. Can you explain this to me. I just recently had a stent put in. I was wondering why they wrote this on my records.

Plavix is, in a form, an anticoagulant like Coumadin, but it works differently on the blood platelets. It acts like a Teflon coating, making platelets slippery and unable to stick together in clusters to form clots.

I had trouble on Plavix, coughing up a fair amount of blood and explosive diarrhea.

Since you have been stented, you have also been marked for life as having heart disease. Basically, hang on to the insurance you have for dear life. It will be next to impossible to get any other without a cost prohibitive charge for it.

The following events have been reported spontaneously from worldwide postmarketing experience:

•Body as a whole:
-
hypersensitivity reactions, anaphylactoid reactions, serum sickness
•Central and Peripheral Nervous System disorders:
-
confusion, hallucinations, taste disorders
•Hepato-biliary disorders:
-
abnormal liver function test, hepatitis (non-infectious), acute liver failure
•Platelet, Bleeding and Clotting disorders:
-
cases of bleeding with fatal outcome (especially intracranial, gastrointestinal and retroperitoneal hemorrhage)
-
thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) – some cases with fatal outcome – (see WARNINGS)
-
agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia/pancytopenia
-
conjunctival, ocular and retinal bleeding
•Respiratory, thoracic and mediastinal disorders:
-
bronchospasm, interstitial pneumonitis
•Skin and subcutaneous tissue disorders:
-
angioedema, erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, lichen planus
•Renal and urinary disorders:
-
glomerulopathy, increased creatinine levels
•Vascular disorders:
-
vasculitis, hypotension
•Gastrointestinal disorders:
-
colitis (including ulcerative or lymphocytic colitis), pancreatitis, stomatitis
•Musculoskeletal, connective tissue and bone disorders:
-
myalgia

I started Plavix at least a year ago, before my AVR. The only side effects that I get is that I bruise more easily.

I think that a person needs to take the side effects with a grain of salt. If you looked at the side effects of ANY medication, you probably would be reluctant to take it. Before the internet, I always had a current PDR, and just reading the possible side effects of a medication would make me queasy.

As long as you are being watched by your doctor, taking blood tests on a regular basis, and having no overt signs of side effects, If I were you, I would not worry.

Latest posts

Back