Planning for the year ahead after AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike dab

I have to pick an insurance plan for 2014 and I need some feedback.

Before my AVR, I had ultrasound twice a year for my heart, valve and carotids. Also had a heart cath every 18 months to check my valve.

The ultrasound is reasonable at about $550 and I can cover that out of my pocket if I have a high deductible, low premium, policy.

But the heart cath is about $7k.

Do you still do the heart cath regularly AFTER AVR? I have some mild artery blockage, but nothing serious.

My doctor really didn't give me a straight answer, which is understandable. Things can change based on my condition at any time.

What has been the experience of my fellow AVR friends?

Mike,

I can only speak of my experience.

I have had a cath only once -- just prior to my 2005 aortic valve and root replacement.

That cath showed I had no blockages, so that may have something to do with not having to have another so far.

All best to you in obtaining a new insurance plan that works best for you.

Bob

I wouldn't think that a cath should be necessary unless something else comes up. My AVR was a year ago September, and all I have had since is a yearly ultrasound and checkup. If you have a tissue valve, they may eventually want to do a cath if and when it looks like it will need replacing, and there is a slight chance of it with a mechanical if there looks like something is wrong. But, ordinarily, in my humble lay opinion, I don't think the doctor would want to do something that invasive without good reason. Of course, my doctors have only called for a cath when absolutely necessary, such as diagnosing my bicuspid valve, making the call that I would actually need surgery, and preparatory to the surgery. I think I have actually been cathed three times as an adult, and two or three times associated with my childhood surgery. The only other thing I would think you would need that for is checking on the artery blockage, should they think it's gotten worse. Fortunately for me, I have no experience with that.

I have never had a heart cath post AVR.....or any other testing that was not out-patient since my surgery......and now, only have echoes every couple years. Other than the minimal cost ($4/wk) for INR self-testing, warfarin @ $4/mo and a check-up(echo) every couple years ,I have no medical costs related to my valve.....knock on wood.

Mike - I can't remember anyone here who has had serial cath exams at all. Most of our docs feel that unless there is evidence of a real issue, they don't want to do any invasive testing until absolutely needed. I had only one cath - just before my combined valve, bypass and pacemaker surgeries. None since - only echo's since, and those have all been trans-thoracic (the "normal" one - not down the throat).

Back