"Pick a date!"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok...sooner seems to be the best idea...

I will double-date with Marguerite and go on the same day as she picks...then you guys have 1 less days worry too...you can pray for both of us at the same time except for the time-difference :D ...we have got a name for ourselves too :D ...

yes the kids will be able to come visit me...i was wondering when they should see me ?.... in ICU with all the tubes and stuff ? or later when theyve taken that scary stuff away ?... mums and dads what do you reckon ?...these are 3rough and tuff boys 10, 13, 15 ...bearing in mind that the oldest and youngest also have the same condition as me ...all thoughts appreciated...

i am having my OP at the "Mount" ( how funny is that for our mountain-climb!)which is the best private hospital in Perth and i am only a 25 minute drive away from home, i get a preview tour too so I am looking forward to that!...

ok...I am nearly ready to book that date...

now i better to go see my doc and get those valiums i chickened out of asking for yesterday...then i can ring surgeon-john and tell him what day i want our date!...

The Earlier the Better

The Earlier the Better

I vote for the earliest possible, Ton. When my surgeon asked me when I wanted to due it I told him "As soon as possible." That was on Friday. His office called me on Monday and asked "How about Thursday?" I only had to worry and fret for three days.

I'm married to an Aussie Girl and she says that you should wait a couple of days before having the boys in to see you. To quote her... "It's better to be saying to them "How are you?" than "Who are you?"

The first couple of days after surgery can be rough and scary for the visitors with the tubes and the discomfort and the drugs that make you more than dopey. Better that the boys see you when you can smile at them. When you get out of ICU or Cardio Care and into the general population you'll be feeling more yourself and will by then be congratulating yourself on your good decision to have the surgery in the first place.

Jerry

Hey Ton...

The kids both saw their Dad immediately after he was extubated and they were prepared for that. Our rough and tough 14 year old had no prob as we were able to explain things with his understanding. My in laws brought my daughter up however when Nathan was just 1 day post op and didn't have a gown on and saw his chest tubes--this freaked her out pretty good. I had not explained chest tubes to her. She was pretty upset for 2 weeks, and she had been told she needs her heart evaluated 2 weeks prior due to murmur. I think kids can handle almost anything in this dept, as long as you prepare them ahead of time. Wish we had given more clear cut instructions as to those first 2 days.

Dont worry the Cath-Angio..is NO PROBLEM. I was scared to death..but there wasnt even any pain at all involved. It was actually rather fascinating to watch.

I know that has got to sound strange..(that it is fascinating..) but I was so surprised how simple this procedure was..in fact I told the doctor..

"Uh...Im not ready...I not in a twighlight yet.."

To which he replied.. "Im already half way to your heart"... (WOW...didnt even feel anything..)

Your gonna do fine.. we will be thinking of you.

Back