Philip's Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip

Hello everyone. I am alive and at home! I was discharged from Ochsner Wednesday, May, 3 a few days later than planed after a Thursday April 27 surgery. Surgery
went well and I was able to be ex-tubated while in the surgery area so I have no memory of the vent. Soon after my BP dropped to some where in the range of 73/49 and it was decided that pain meds must be discontinued or greatly reduced. Due to the amnesia effects of the anesthesia I fortunately have little memory of this but I do have vague memories of begging for pain meds and people telling me to ?open my eyes and stay awake? while in more pain than I felt that I could endure. Now this is just like a bad dream that you still remember but in this distant past. On Sunday they removed the offensive central line in my neck and on Monday they removed the chest tubes so I got to take my 1st shower!
My liver is apparently very health or just loves anti-coagulants so it took extra days to get me in the therapeutic range for release.

Notes and observations:
? For those in the waiting room with there life effected by their valve, this is the most difficult time. Surgery is the easy part. This will pass.
? Tubes, wires, and connections: These were not as offensive as expected and the dreaded removals were minor compared to the dependency that they create. In the scheme of things these were relatively insignificant.
? Mechanical Valve Noise: My valve was apparently installed with an amplifier attached. I always hear it in quite areas and many times in louder environments. It is rapidly becoming background noise and doesn?t bother me. I envision this to be a great conservation starter in elevators!
? Hospital Food: You would think that in a city known for its food that even hospital food would be a cut above. That is not the case; all hospital food sucks.
? Home: You feel instantly better once you walk through the door. Last night no one woke me on two hour intervals. It is amazing how much more rested I feel
? Taekwondo, Hapkido, and distant running: It is hard to get in more than an hour at a time 1 week post-op. Kidding, I hope that much of that will return to my life but am now content with my short walks in the spring sun followed by sofa time with the cat. I AM ON THE MEND!!!!
? Friends and family: I saved the best for last. VRcom. You guys have been great. Some of you I have gotten to know; my VR rocks, thanks for getting me through the rough spots of waiting. There are others that I have had little dialog with but you are always there for all of us, the ?first responders? those always there with a greeting, or encouraging word. Thanks.
Other than my wife, children and 86 year old mother in law. I have no close family other than my mother, a retired RN living in another state. She has tagged teamed my care along with my wife. Never having been ?sick? except for the garden variety virus that I seem to catch every few years I always thought that if in the hospital I would want to be left alone. I now know better. Every visitor would bring ?happy tears? to my eyes. Friends have been a blessing in keeping life close to normal for the boys, getting them to school, and their many events, keeping them entertained. Even bringing home cooked meals. I?m getting spoiled. How long do you think I can milk this?

I am sure I am leaving out something but it will have to wait. The sofa is calling.

I hope to soon get caught up with all PM?s and emails??One step at a time>

Philip

Philip,

Great to have you home!!! Great to hear from you and take it easy and have a great recovery!!!

You hit the nail on the head with you OHS commentary.:D

Tom

Philips comeback Yay

Philips comeback Yay

I am so happy for you!!! It makes me feel so much better about my upcoming surgery. What a great outcome and keep up your wonderful attitude.

Lisa

Fantastic!! Home Sweet Home!! Philip, you sound great. It is good to finally hear from YOU!

I am so glad that you have no clear memory of your troubles or your pain. It is wonderful to be able to look back and see the positives as I'm sure it will speed your recovery.

Isn't it lovely to get all the help and care? Yes! But, I must confess, being somewhat of a solitary person, this week, where I've been at home alone to dawdle, sleep, walk, breathe, etc. has also been very very nice.

Congratulations on your new self!!! Now don't forget that incentive spirometer and get lots of rest!!

:D :D Marguerite

Hooray for Philip!

Hooray for Philip!

Good news all the way around...except the pain deal. I hope you don't feel like i mislead you regarding pain. I just didn't have any, but then again I wasn't forced off of pain meds either. Might have a little something to do with it, don't you think?:rolleyes: I admire your attitude as usual. All I can say is Philip, you made it!!!! You've certainly been on the front burner of my mind. So good to see you back on and being your usual precious self! Keep enjoying that New Orleans sunshine!
Debbi

Hey you sound GREAT! And you have the can-do attitude. You'll be back to your running in no time at all. I am already doing a lot of walking at 3 weeks, and I'm no runner -- so we each seek our own level, eay?

On your talking points -- I have to agree with most of them. I DID find the drain tubes (I had 4 of them) VERY irritating on my second day that I was awake. They finally pulled them about 3 PM and what a difference. Like you, not that much pain at all in removing them. And I hardly even felt it when they yanked the pacemaker wires. I'd been expecting something much worse.

The tube in the neck -- I actually had two of them, or maybe it was one inside the other. The first one they pulled extended about a foot all the way down inside my heart. The second one came out a day or two later and it was about eight inches long and went to the top of the heart. The hole that was left stayed quite tender for a couple of weeks. I am finally to where I can shave over it with no problem at all.

I guess Oschner must have escaped all the Katrina damage?
John

You sound great, Phillip and your post is very inspiring for those still in the waiting room. Best wishes for a great recovery.:)

Way to go, Philip! As long as the cat stays off the incision, it's an idyllic life.

And home is the best. No one trying to stick you with needles; even if food tastes bad it's a much better bad than hospital muck. No green jello you can't get a spoon in. And QUIET.

Welcome back. Keep breathing, walking and napping.

You sound so upbeat. Can't believe you just had surgery. Enjoy your walks in the spring sunshine. I am now stuck inside an office from 7:30am-4:45pm. Thanks to OHS still here to be stuck in an office. Enjoy your recover and have a smooth road.

Latest posts

Back