Phew! Escaped the knife...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfsparky

Yup, I've escaped the knife...this time anyway. I must admit that I wasn't looking forward to it as it's only been a year since my AVR (Ross Procedure)...the memories are still pretty vivid!
Went to see the surgeon as it looked like it was nearly "that time", but strangely enough, my echo results this time showed an improvement! I was very relieved to hear that and surprised and as I know that valves generally don't improve over time, so it may just be a variance in the way the different techs has done the echoes. Two months ago the pulmonary homograft gradient was 42mmHg, and this time it is 32mmHg! Figure that one out!!! Oh well, the longer I can avoid surgery the better, as they are not quite sure why my body is rejecting (immune reaction) to the homograft. There's a few theories but nothing substantiated. A funny moment was when the surgeon saw my wife's extensive research, and then asked if he could make a copy it all!!! I know he's one of the top cardiac surgeon in Australia...but it does leave you feeling just a little worried when he's copying your findings!
Anyway, just glad that surgery is not as close as we expected...it's been tough trying not to get anxious about it over the past few weeks,
thanks all,
Chris

Chris,
That's fabulous news! I know you're relieved and I hope you and your wife do something special to celebrate.
Sue

<< A funny moment was when the surgeon saw my wife's extensive research, and then asked if he could make a copy it all!!! I know he's one of the top cardiac surgeon in Australia...but it does leave you feeling just a little worried when he's copying your findings!>>

Actually, Chris, I think that's reassuring -- that your surgeon is that open minded and interested in a patient's research (or at least putting up a good show of being interested) is great.

Anyway -- great news. Now go have some fun!

Great news!

Regarding the doctor copying your wife's info. It's a good thing. Most doctors are so busy they don't have the huge chunks of time needed to research, much as they might like to. It is so time consuming. Like your wife, I am doing it all of the time. That's why docs subscribe to journals. So that amount of info. was probably a solid gold "find" for him/her.

Chris,

Good news for now! You'll probably have some ups and downs in the future because echos aren't that accurate. Don't stress over it - just pay attention to what your body tells you and listen to your doctor. Sounds like you have a good one; I'd be glad he was interested in reading your wife's research.

My PCP was very thrilled when I gave him the information I downloaded from Al Lodwick's site on coumadin management, and he thanked me for it!

I agree with Marge, Nancy, and Bill. I think it's great when a doctor wants to know more. Virtually all the problems I've had with doctors have been with ones who thought they knew everything - and that their patients knew nothing.

Of course, it would be nice if he had then handed over a bunch of information for you to ponder, as well.

You have great news. You should celebrate.

Best wishes,

Hi Chris,

Well that's great news!!! How are you doing overall? Are you feeling any better/worse/otherwise..??

I must get around to dropping you a line at some stage... maybe once I get back from Perth again.

In the meantime, I hope you keep on keeping on! ....oh, and perhaps you could send me the name of your doctor..!! ;)

Cheers
Anna : )

Latest posts

Back