Personal Best!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtkayak

5 months Post Op now. Last night I jogged for 7 miles on the tread in the gym. Heat is too unbearable in Atlanta to run outside. Anyway, 7 miles in 90 minutes. Had to slow it down the last 30 minutes heart was jumping out of range around 160bpm (target is 130-147). My HR dropped from 147 to 97 in 1:45 seconds after the workout. Yeehaw!!!! I also did 7 miles of Class IV whitewater last Sunday and it barely phased me. Getting ready to start paddling some Class V rapids here soon. The heart is absolutely loving the adenaline and I'm not tiring as fast as before.

There is life after OHS :)

mtkayak said:
5 months Post Op now. Last night I jogged for 7 miles on the tread in the gym. Heat is too unbearable in Atlanta to run outside. Anyway, 7 miles in 90 minutes. Had to slow it down the last 30 minutes heart was jumping out of range around 160bpm (target is 130-147). My HR dropped from 147 to 97 in 1:45 seconds after the workout. Yeehaw!!!! I also did 7 miles of Class IV whitewater last Sunday and it barely phased me. Getting ready to start paddling some Class V rapids here soon. The heart is absolutely loving the adenaline and I'm not tiring as fast as before.

There is life after OHS :)

That's a good show for 5 months out, Mike. I'm not surprised by the HR getting out of hand after an hour of jogging - I had that same phenomenon for about a year or so after surgery. But as I recovered, I could exercise for longer and longer periods before my HR jumped into the red zone. For now, I would just work on increasing duration while keeping your heart rate in a comfortable zone - just like you are doing.

Glad to hear you are back on the water and enjoying yourself again!

Congratulations. I'm glad that you are not adding the summer heat to the long run. Your recovery, of course, is wonderful and validates your progess. Looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks Y'all! Any advice on how to keep the heart rate lower? Should I step it down a bit? Lower my heart rate and do longer workouts. More of a low intensity workout? I think I might be pushing it just a tiny bit. 130-137 bpm seems to be a very comfotable rate. I would like to run a 10k in the next couple of months.

No advice...

No advice...

But I'd love to see pics of the kayaking!:D Brian

WOW! That is SO COOL TO HEAR about the quickly dropping HR! :) :)

I can't wait to get back to running after the surgery. I was never allowed to do it as a kid, then started in my 30's. Had to quit a couple of years ago because of the aortic valve going downhill...

I'd love to hear more about your life on Coumidin, etc. Do you travel much? I'm on the road a lot with my work, sometimes overseas, not in control of my diet, and far from decent medical care. Thoughts? Thanks!

StretchL said:
I'd love to hear more about your life on Coumidin, etc. Do you travel much? I'm on the road a lot with my work, sometimes overseas, not in control of my diet, and far from decent medical care. Thoughts? Thanks!

I've only been on Coumadin for 5 months now so it's hard to say how it's affected my life. But so far it has not affected it and I do not intend to change my lifestyle because of it :) Only my recovery has affected my life thus far. I do love to travel abroad (for pleasure) and I will not change that either. I have a trip planned in November to go to Equador to kayak. I travel here locally in Southeast a lot with kayaking and have not experienced any change in my INR. I bring a small first aid kit with me, that is the only change I have made but a lot of people I paddle with do that. My diet is the same now as it was before surgery, not a big deal. I don't like a lot of food that's high in Vitamin K (greens) so that's not an issue for me. I drink alcohol once a week now. I don't drink much during the week any more mostly because of the calories :) So far life is good :)

I will post some pic here soon!

Latest posts

Back