Patient Beware

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAJ

My wife has been an Intensive Care RN for about 20 years. She is now transitioning to become a home health care nurse. During classroom orientation last week, one scary fact was brought up. They were told that when it comes to OHS patients, be on the lookout for fluid overload. More hospitals are releasing patients in this condition. My wife quickly raised her hand and told the class that is exactly what happened to me. She also told them I went into CHF because of it and ended up back in the hospital for 9 more days.

Karl

Yes unfortunately it's true. They are in a big hurry to get you out the door and sometimes, that big hurry only brings you back in the door. Then again, there are others that go home and are fine for a while, then it shows up in them. I do think they need to really pay attention before releasing someone.

Fluid Overload

Fluid Overload

The docs/nurses should be teaching you to weigh yourself daily--ideally first thing in the morning after you pee, naked (dont gotta look in the mirror) to get the same contributing factors with each measurement. Keep it on the calendar. If you increase >2 pounds in one day or 3-4 pounds in 2-3 days, call your doctor immediately. Also look for the other classic signs (night cough, having to sleep upright, swelling--esp. in feet/ankles, etc). Keep a good scale, but place it far away from the mirror, dont want to scare yourselves and have more heart problems to start off your days. Just a thought. :eek:

Latest posts

Back