Parmesan-Crusted Talipia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I made it! Twas good, but I have a new problem. Does anyone have a way to make bay scallops taste decent? I served them as a side dish along with the tilapia and they were horrid. I've tried several different methods from soaking them in buttermilk to lemon juice and olive oil and everything in between and they still, no matter what I do, taste like crap.

Well I made it! Twas good, but I have a new problem. Does anyone have a way to make bay scallops taste decent? I served them as a side dish along with the tilapia and they were horrid. I've tried several different methods from soaking them in buttermilk to lemon juice and olive oil and everything in between and they still, no matter what I do, taste like crap.

Glad you liked the talipia & sorry about the scallops! I cannot help you there cause I HATE scallops!!!! :(

Sea scallops, no problem, it's just those darn little bay scallops that I just can't get right.

Ross,

When you prepare the scallops, do not over cook or over boil...once the water boils, add the scallops to the boiled water remove and add them to any sauce you prepared. When cooked, or boiled, should not go more than 5-8 minutes for each 1 1/4 lbs.

If you like I shall send a curry recipe, and a creole recipe. Should I post here or under a new recipe thread?

Ross,

When you prepare the scallops, do not over cook or over boil...once the water boils, add the scallops to the boiled water remove and add them to any sauce you prepared. When cooked, or boiled, should not go more than 5-8 minutes for each 1 1/4 lbs.

If you like I shall send a curry recipe, and a creole recipe. Should I post here or under a new recipe thread?

Put them on a new recipe thread Eva, that way people will have more access to them. :)

Stupid question from a non-chef. Is grated lemon peel, grated lemon rind, and lemon zest the same thing? Can you buy it, or do you have to make it yourself from a lemon? Does it mean just the white part of the rind or the yellow part or both? I have a few recipes that call for it, and I've always avoided those recipes because I don't know!

Stupid question from a non-chef. Is grated lemon peel, grated lemon rind, and lemon zest the same thing? Can you buy it, or do you have to make it yourself from a lemon? Does it mean just the white part of the rind or the yellow part or both? I have a few recipes that call for it, and I've always avoided those recipes because I don't know!

When I use lemon zest, I take a fresh lemon & grate the yellow part of the rind on the finest part of the grater so I guess you can call it lemon zest or lemon grate.

For this particular recipe, I use one whole lemon, grate the outside & then use the lemon juice to pour over the fish.

Hope this helped! :)

That's all I did, take the whole lemon and run it across the smallest grater I have. One lemon yields about, oh maybe one teaspoon of lemon zest/peel/ finger zest :eek:

Just use the colored part of citrus, the white part is bitter and nasty usually

ross that finger zest add a nice colore to the recipe :)

Avoid Talapia

Avoid Talapia

Hate to the bearer of bad news for you Talapia lovers but the following is some info I found on Dr. Weil's website:

If you haven't caught up on the news about tilapia, here's a recap: a study from researchers at Wake Forest University School of Medicine found that farm-raised tilapia, a very popular fish in the United States today, has very low levels of omega-3s and very high levels of omega-6 fatty acids (also found in seeds and nuts, and the oils extracted from them, such as cottonseed and soy oil). We get much more of these fats than we need ? they're found in most snack foods, cookies, crackers, and sweets. The body constructs hormones from omega-6s that tend to increase inflammation (an important component of the immune response), blood clotting, and cell proliferation. Omega-3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory.

The Wake Forest researchers said that the combination of fatty acids in tilapia could pose a danger for some patients with heart disease, arthritis, asthma and other allergic and auto-immune diseases, all of which are linked to chronic inflammation. In fact, the investigators said that the fatty acid profile of tilapia is worse than that of 80-percent-lean hamburger, doughnuts and even bacon.

U.S. tilapia consumption was 1.5 million tons in 2003 and is expected to rise to 2.5 million tons by 2010, the researchers reported. After analyzing farmed tilapia from various commercial sources, they found that it contained less than a half a gram of omega-3 fatty acids per 100 grams of fish - similar to amounts found in flounder and swordfish. Farmed salmon and trout tested a little better, but still contained only dismal amounts.

I would not characterize eating farmed tilapia as "dangerous," but there are certainly better choices out there. If I were you, I would avoid tilapia and stick to the fish I recommend for their omega-3 content. Wild Alaskan salmon is much more expensive than many other types of fish - if you can't afford it or can't find it locally, canned salmon and sardines will give you omega-3s. I especially like canned wild sockeye salmon from Alaska.

Hate to the bearer of bad news for you Talapia lovers but the following is some info I found on Dr. Weil's website:

If you haven't caught up on the news about tilapia, here's a recap: a study from researchers at Wake Forest University School of Medicine found that farm-raised tilapia, a very popular fish in the United States today, has very low levels of omega-3s and very high levels of omega-6 fatty acids (also found in seeds and nuts, and the oils extracted from them, such as cottonseed and soy oil). We get much more of these fats than we need ? they're found in most snack foods, cookies, crackers, and sweets. The body constructs hormones from omega-6s that tend to increase inflammation (an important component of the immune response), blood clotting, and cell proliferation. Omega-3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory.

The Wake Forest researchers said that the combination of fatty acids in tilapia could pose a danger for some patients with heart disease, arthritis, asthma and other allergic and auto-immune diseases, all of which are linked to chronic inflammation. In fact, the investigators said that the fatty acid profile of tilapia is worse than that of 80-percent-lean hamburger, doughnuts and even bacon.

U.S. tilapia consumption was 1.5 million tons in 2003 and is expected to rise to 2.5 million tons by 2010, the researchers reported. After analyzing farmed tilapia from various commercial sources, they found that it contained less than a half a gram of omega-3 fatty acids per 100 grams of fish - similar to amounts found in flounder and swordfish. Farmed salmon and trout tested a little better, but still contained only dismal amounts.

I would not characterize eating farmed tilapia as "dangerous," but there are certainly better choices out there. If I were you, I would avoid tilapia and stick to the fish I recommend for their omega-3 content. Wild Alaskan salmon is much more expensive than many other types of fish - if you can't afford it or can't find it locally, canned salmon and sardines will give you omega-3s. I especially like canned wild sockeye salmon from Alaska.

Well, holy crappola! There goes my fish day!!! :( :eek:

Well, the only reason I eat fish is for the health benefits, because I don't like it. Tilapia is less fishy than others, especially when I prepared it using this recipe. I don't like salmon or sardines, and yes, I've tried salmon several different ways and salmon patties are the only thing I even halfway like. Guess if this news is true, I'll stick to walnuts and walnut oil for my Omega 3.

Ross sent me these two links concerning the consumption of Talipia. Read them & then come to your own conclusion.

Personally, I feel that if we believed everything that experts & researchers & what not, have to say about some of the foods we eat, there wouldn't be a thing left to eat! :eek:

http://www.aboutseafood.com/press/press-releases/coalition-drs-reassure-consumers-about-tilapia

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/9243/1

And too, I don't eat this fish everyday so I'm not particularly concerned about the Omega-oil contents or high cholesterol or blah, blah, blah, for that matter! :D :)

Latest posts

Back