Palpitations After Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc1991

Hi all, I'm 23 years old and I had my bicuspid aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude mechanical valve last Thursday (January 15th). All has been well except for some palpitations. They don't last all day long, just for a few seconds. Sometimes it's a flip flopping, and others its where it skips a beat. Is this normal after surgery?

Palpitations and PVCs (fluttery feeling) are normal after valve surgery. Your heart is adjusting to the new valve and remodelling itself. Abstain, during recovery, from eating salty food as the retained fluid will add some stress on the heart ...it will have to work a bit harder!

If they increase in frequency and duration, it's better to let your doctor know especially if your pulse goes above 100 beat/minute.

ajc1991;n852006 said:
All has been well except for some palpitations. They don't last all day long, just for a few seconds. Sometimes it's a flip flopping, and others its where it skips a beat. Is this normal after surgery?
It might be normal but definitely tell your cardiologist or GP so they can check you out.

Yes, Definitely let your Docs know. I had something they thought was a little Afib for a few weeks. They gave me a couple of drugs to take for a month until it cleared up.

I have a follow up appointment with my cardiologist on Wednesday, so I'll bring it up to him. Thanks everyone.

Went to my cardiologist today and he said its normal. Told me that if it lasts for more than just a few seconds to let him know so they can put a holter monitor on me. He said my scar is healing very nicely and it's one of the best healed scars he's seen.

Latest posts

Back