Out of the Waiting Room and Time for Surgery...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiemember

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all,

Well, three years ago tomorrow I arrived on this fantastic site after hearing the news that mitral valve replacement was in my future. And although I've done my best to hide behind one of the chairs in the waiting room, somehow or other I was spotted and my number has just been called - told you we needed bigger chairs Steve!!! :p

A quick summary. I'm currently 40 and was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse at 13. Then was told 3 years ago - to my great shock, that I would need a MVR one day. I have been seeing my cardio every 6 months for echos since then and in October 2008 he said that due to the fact that I had had a number of echos that showed severe regurgitation that I would need MVR in March 2009. Today was the follow up appointment to that and my surgery is now officially booked for Tuesday March 17th with an angiogram on March 9th. I have met the surgeon on three separate occasions and have been very impressed with him - he comes highly recommended by many of the Melbourne members on VR.com and has a great bedside manner. He is going to try and repair the valve but is doubtful he will be able to do so in which case he is going with a mechanical valve. He didn't give me an option and at least that doesn't make me choose :cool:

So how am I feeling?? Well, I totally understand it when you all say that the waiting is the worst. Having known this was coming since October has made the last five months rather difficult - I am normally careful to maintain my correct weight but in the last few months have sought comfort in the occasional chicken parma. At this rate there'll be a chance they have to roll me into surgery!! IAlso I am normally an avid reader but have found it difficult to concentrate so have whiled away many an hour with a DVD - so far in the last few months I have watched every season of Grey's Anatomy, The OC and One Tree Hill :D

I don't have any symptoms that I know of but they are keen to operate before any damage is done and it is a big help to know from all of you that this is conventional wisdom followed in many countries...

Having read this site avidly for the last few years I actually don't have any questions - I think you've pretty much covered it all - although I will definitely be living in the Anticoagulation Forum afterwards. Funnily enough I'm actually quite happy about having my surgery - can't wait to have it over and done with to tell you the truth. And as a person with a deep faith I know God will be with me every step of the way - no matter what happens!!

Thanks once again to everyone on here for your continued commitment to keeping us all informed - there's no way I would be coping as well as I am at the moment if it wasn't for this place :cool:

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne ... Congratulations on getting your date .... The waiting is the hard part and is almost over ... You sound like you are ready and a positive attitude and strong faith will help thing go much easier for you ... I am sure Phillis will add you to the calendar and you will be in my prayers .... Godspeed:)

''Congratulations'' Jeanne on having your surgery date, * on ''ST. PATRICKS DAY'' yaaaa ....FANTASTIC'' you are home and dry. :cool:

''Congratulations'' Jeanne on having your surgery date, * on ''ST. PATRICKS DAY'' yaaaa ....FANTASTIC'' you are home and dry. :cool:

Jacqui's thoughts are also mine--congratulations on a St. Pat's Day replacement! Do they make green valves?;):p:p
I've put the date on the surgical calendar, so it's official!:)

Hi Jeanne

The waiting IS the hardest part. We'll be with you all through your surgery, too. My hubby's surgery was almost 7 years ago and he's doing fine, if that's any consolation, and green is my favorite color, so I'm sure you'll be OK!!!

Evelyn

Congradulations on having a date. My puppy Roxy will be 1 on St Patty's day (i'm sure that makes you feel even better lol)

Congratulations on getting your date! I guess that makes a little more room for us in the waiting room (but I'm not getting too comfortable ;)).

May you be blessed with the luck of the Irish on your surgery day.
We'll all be here for you!

I'm glad you got your date. I had AVR surgery January 14th and feel pretty good already. The waiting is the worst -- I hope the time goes fast for you. I read lots of books beforehand and did lots of social things, and read as much as I could about AVR.
All the best,
Dale:)

I'm glad you got your date and I hope the wait is not too anxiety producing. We look forward to seeing you up and over the mountain.

Funnily enough I'm actually quite happy about having my surgery - can't wait to have it over and done with to tell you the truth.

I so know what you mean! It's kind of nice to finally get it out the way and not have it hanging over your head anymore.

Meanwhile, congrats on your date. Where will you be having it done? (and will there be green beer available? ;) ) I almost ended up back in Melbourne for mine, but fortunately they got a qualified surgeon across here in time.

Anyhoo, wishing you the luck of the Irish!! :D

A : )

Jeanne,

Congratulations on getting that date -- that's always a big step. Seems you are very well informed after all that time in the waiting room. Keep us posted, and I, too, am wishing you the luck o' the Irish. :)

Hi Jeanne
All the best with the operation - just one month to go now. You must be coping well with the wait if you can bear to watch medical dramas like Grey's Anatomy!
Good luck,
Andy

ohhh Jeanne the wait is the worst and glad you have your date:)

St. patty's Day,a great day and we well all be cheering you on

this day.I'm positive you as many will do great and have sucessfulness

with surgery and a quick recovery....Prayers for you always.

zipper2 (DEB)

Latest posts

Back