Out Of Hospital after Surgery on 22nd February 2010

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colsha

Hi All

It appears that all my previous posts, etc were lost due to the website changes in late February. Anyway to those who passed on good wishes and thoughts and prayers, thanks!

It wasn't quite smooth sailing.

Apparently the actual operation went OK - although on bypass for over 5.5 hours. St Judes 25mm valve implanted and dacron graft used to replace the aorta including part of the "arch".

I also didn't wake properly and suffered some level of "Delerium" (where, although not totally unconscious, you aren't in control of much at all). Due to my flailing arms and head, it was decided to further sedate me for a while.

After a week of not improving a lot, it was decided to give me a tracheostomy (performed by the surgical team in the operating theatre (not in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU)).

Although I consider tubes stuck down your throat, etc to be one of the major forms of modern torture for the conscious patient, this procedure did help me greatly and I improved markedly from then on.

Consiousness returned slowly - although my recollections of the world were tinted/tainted/coloured by the quite strong drugs I was on.

I also had some (mild?) form of pneumonia, centred on one of the lung's lobes and was on stong intravenous antibiotics for that.

Due to the trach, and my lung infection, I was also coughing LOTS. I developed chemosis (bloodshot eyes) - (check out chemosis in google images to see what I looked like - or remember the final scenes with Arnie Schwarzenegger in Total Recall). The only upside of this was that I got rid of all the anesthetic in my lungs, so the "huffing exercises" weren't really required.

Anyway, the tracheostomy was performed on Monday and I had improved so well afterwards that I had the trach removed on Friday. On Saturday I was considered well enough to transfer out of the CICU into the Cardiac Ward.

Here I continued to improve - with the exception of the first night where I suffered from Atrial Fibrillation with my heartbeat sitting between 120 and 167 for several hours. I didn't feel bad, just remembered that I'd had this happen following my original (1999) surgery. However, I was placed on a drip and monitored closely for about 20 hours, until it settled down again. No problems with rapid heartbeat since then.

As a matter of fact, since the operation, my heartbeat now sits between 60 and 75 and my Blood Pressure has been about 110/60 - quite amazing!

I still have another aneurysm to be monitored which is at the base of the 1999 dacron graft repair to my coarctation. I've got an appointment to see a Vascular Surgeon on the 19th April, so I'll see what and when he wishes to repair this final aneurysm - hopefully with a stent.

Anyway, I'm at the ex-wife (she’s been fantastic) and daughter's place, recovering slowly. Some days are great and some are a little slow. I can manage to walk a couple of kilometres in one go, so I'm slowly getting my energy back.

I have no real chest pain (except for coughing and sneezing), but do have some neck and shoulder pain which is also slowly diminishing.

My only other complaint is that my fourth and little fingers on my right hand (I'm right handed too) are numb/tingly. The doc said the nerve had probably been damaged and will need to regrow (at the rate of 1 mm per day). Just frustrating rather than painful.

Anyway, I survived. Even the surgeon suggested I had "done a Lazarus" and "had them all really worried." Getting used to the "thumping" from the valve is taking some time and seems to wake me once or twice during the night.

I'll update when I've some more news. Sorry if this depresses or worries people with upcoming surgery, but it's probably worthwhile knowing that this is MAJOR surgery and things can and do go awry!

Cheers to all!

Col

So glad to see you posting Col and boy that was some ordeal that you went through. I concur that it is major surgery and I think everyone would agree with you.

As others have said, few of us go through this with a bump free recovery. Unfortunately, some end up with bigger bumps like yourself.

I am glad that you are getting good support, take good care of yourself and one day at a time.

Well, Col... you made it. Sounds like it it was a rough ride, but here is wishing you much better days ahead. Welcome Back !!

My goodness, you sure kept the docs busy. Glad to hear things are improving - sure hope you're following a steady upward trend. I think it's good for folks (and their loved ones) to read about journeys like yours... even when there are bumps in the road there is hope. Thanks for posting your story. I'll be looking for more positive updates:)

Thanks to all those who commented.

Still improving each day.

Today, the ex-wife, my carer, went out for a couple of hours. She rang 2 hours later saying she was at a nearby medical centre with acute abdominal pains which the doctor thought may have been appendicits or really bad IBS - which she suffers from.

I caught a cab to the medical centre with our 9 year old daughter. The medical centre had called an ambulance which arrived just after we did. These paramedics were great. Whilst they were getting some medical history, they were also preparing several types of pain management medication to relieve the symptoms (including some morphine - which helped a lot).

Anyway, she was taken to the hospital (the same one I recently left) and wheeled into the emergency department.
Blood tests, more pain medication, x-rays, etc and a few hours passing and they're still not sure exactly what's wrong. I was able to speak with her whilst she's awaiting further test results - could be twisted bits internally - ouch!

Meanwhile. I had to drive the car (5 weeks since surgery). Felt fine and was able to get it home no worries. Thank goodness for power steering and automatic transmissions.

Cooked dinner for me and my daughter - nothing like a little emergency to make you "step up to the plate" a little more.

By the way, I picked up my personal INR measurement kit on Friday (which comes complimentary when you have a St Jude's Valve inserted). Have to play a little more this week. Last doctor's visit (on Friday) had me at INR of 4.1, so we reduced my wafarin (by 1 mg).

From this and reading other people's posts, life rarely goes smoothly, does it?

Anyway, I'll let you know of further developments.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Col

Update

Update

It turns out the ex had a burst cyst - very painful - but no operation required. She was discharged the next evening - 24 hours in hospital.

Now it's both of us hobbling around. (Made me get more mobile quickly)

Cheers

Col

you're a real warrior to make it through all of that!

Can I ask how an aneurism can be repaired with a stent?

From my initial discussions with my Cardiothoracic Surgeon I believe the stent is inserted via a catheter inserted into the femoral artery. I also googled this and it's correct. Apparently, however, not everyone is a suitable candidate for this type of surgery, so I guess I'll find out more on the 19th of April.

I'll keep all informed.

Col

You will certainly remember this period in your life. I am glad to hear things are improving for you and your family - Congrats on getting over that mountain

A quick update. I'll be 7 weeks post surgery on Monday. Feeling pretty good.
Saw the Cardiologist on Friday. Did EKG and examined me and he is very happy with my progress.

Medication reduced (cancelled Amiodarone (1 X 200mg daily) and Magnesium capsules (3 X 500mg daily)).
Also decided to change me from my 5mg of Amlodipine (Norvasc) to Atacand (suggesting that there's some
recent evidence that Atacand may be "kinder" to arteries on a cell level).

Now just Atenolol (25mg morning and night) and Atacand (1 X 8mg daily).
Also taking daily Coumadin (6.5mg).

Received the offical all-clear for driving, etc. Seeing him again in 6 weeks for follow-up.

Now just Cardiothoracic Surgeon for post-op review on Tuesday and then Vascular Surgeon on Friday for initial consultation.

I'll keep you informed.
C

Last edited:
Good to hear you moving about and getting back to a normal - well, a rather dramatic - life, actually. Funny how these things fall together. The timing was right for her to be there for you and you to be there for her.

Be very careful driving, as you may not be as ready to crank that wheel hard as you think. And don't cheat when you have to turn your body to see one of those blind riving angles behind you.

Hope you are a candidate for the stent procedure.

Best wishes,

Update time:-
Saw the Cardiothoracic Surgeon on Tuesday last week. He was very happy with my progress, the sound of my heart, etc, etc. Wants to see me again in 6 months.

We discussed my impending visit to the Vascular Surgeon and I was told that RPAH was one of the world leaders in Endovascular Stenting and my surgeon was one of the best in Australia.

I met him (Dr Raffi Qasabian) on Friday. He remembered many of my case details from the meetings between the cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons (and others) which occur regularly in the hospital to discuss the status of patients who've just had or require surgery.

Anyway, following a fairly brief examination (feeling for pulses throughout the body) he said he'll see me in 6 months with the results of a CT Scan I am to have a few days prior to the appointment with him.

I am (at this stage) a viable candidate for the Endovascular Stent to repair my remaining anuerysm, which currently sits about 4.3cm. As with my repaired anuerysm, the figure where surgery is recommended is 5cm.

For those who'd like it in inches:-
4.3 centimeters = 1.69291339 inches
5 centimeters = 1.96850394 inches
The difference is about 1 quarter of an inch to grow.

Two other interesting points made were:-
a) This surgery will be nothing compared to the BAV & Anuerysm repair I'd just undergone. (easier and quicker recovery)
b) The main risk with stenting in the aorta is paraplegia. His suggestion was that a drain may be inserted to relieve any possible buildup of pressure with my Cerebrospinal Fluid.
(If you wish to learn more about this, check out
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab003635.html

So, my next op isn't urgent at this stage and I have several months to "relax" and recover from this one.

I'll chat later, and once again, thanks for all the positive comments.

Cheers
Col
---------------------------
Coarctation Repair 12th August 1999.

Aortic Valve Replacement with St. Jude mechanical valve and aneurysm repair 22nd February 2010. Now Dacron aorta from the new valve to the end of the Coarctation repair. (over the arch).
1 X remaining thoracic anuerysm @ 4.4cm

Latest posts

Back