One year echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunMartin

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have had my only echo since surgery a year ago. It looks like the heart has returned to normal size:). The left ventricle was about 7 cm before surgery and I think it is now about 4.5cm. I am back to yearly visits now. I do see another cardiologist at another hospital due to emergency admission due to SVT. I thought it would be best to see them both as it is not costing me any money.

Apparently they do not do regular echos now with mechanical valves - does anyone know why?

Martin, its always good to have a report that backs up what you have been feeling. With respect to the annual echo, my Uncle's St Jude became fouled by tissue growth and had to be replaced. Most mechanical valves can be expected to function for the rest of one's lifetime but many cardiologists now think that an annual inspection is still a good idea. It provides a running history of how well the valve is working and allows early warning of any disruption in the valve's performance. I, too, am on an annual schedule now.

Larry

Latest posts

Back