One year and a marathon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodi

I ran St. George Marathon yesterday. It was one year and one day after my valve replacement. It was my 51st marathon, my 11th St. George and my 1st one since surgery. Here is a short report on my run.

My first seven miles were pretty good and on target. I had a little trouble between mile 1 and 2 where I dropped almost a minute from my projected pace. Not sure exactly what happened other than I was struggling with my breathing because of the cold I?m recovering from. Veyo, the major uphill, was a little rough on me too. Given the fact I train on longer and steeper hills I thought I?d be okay. I ended up walking just before mile 8. Even walking my pace was better than I thought it would be.
My time at the half (2:27:43) was a little slower than I hoped but was acceptable. On the downhill side I really worked at hold my pace back. I love the downhills but didn?t want to chance blowing up at the end.
My biggest struggle was after 23 miles when I really started hurting everywhere. I managed to do my normal run between aid stations, walk thru them then start running again up until this point. Thanks to my friend she kept me going
My satisfied time was 5:00 hours. My chip time was 4:57:08. I?m really more than satisfied. Two little stories: I wrote on my running singlet ?AORTIC VALVE REPLACEMENT ONE YEAR, ONE DAY?. I received a lot of comments (mostly from women) and of course thanked everyone that did so and said it was my way of getting a message out. Two that stuck in my mind: One lady said ?congratulations on what you are able to do. You have some really good looking calves?. The other a young girl said ?Congratulations, I was trying to find an excuse to quit, now I can?t?.

I also had the priviledge of being one of the runners on one of the Akron Marathon Relay teams Mark Siwik organized. What a wonderful time and a great way to meet others that have gone thru similar experiences.

Congratulations, Kodi!
Your experience proves that there is plenty of life after valve replacement!:)

Congratulations! Your post is very inspiring. I have had two OHS this year, the second one a replacement. I feel like I am in the worst shape ever... yesterday I went on my first walk outside my culdesac, which included a couple of hills. I was very proud of myself (although it was a very short walk),but I realized I have a long way to go to get back into shape. Your post was the perfect timing - I can do it!

Fantastic! I hope to get back to marathon shape within the next year. For you to do it at one year is unbelievable.

You are my new inspiration! I AM going to do the Indianapolis Mini Marathon in May of 2008! That will be 1 year and 1 week after my OHS, and 7 months after arthorscopy on my right knee!

WAY TO GO!

Thanks all of you for the kind words. :eek: I'm humbled by being an inspiration but if that helps, I'm glad. I do what I can to get the message to the public there is life after what we have all gone thru. Maybe that's part of my mission in life.
One of my friends called me an animal and maybe I am, but it's either a donkey or jackass, they are both known to be very stubborn. :)

Congrats!! I am 6 months out from my AVR/Aortic Aneurysm repair and I want to do a marathon just to say that I have done it. You have truly inspired me!:D

Latest posts

Back