One week post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texsc

Well its been 7 days since my surgery. Things are going as good as can be expected. Today I made almost a mile walk (22 min) before stopping. I will try that same walk for the next week twice a day. Pain is manageable. The coughing still hurts like h---!!!!!!!! Seems like after I eat the coughing is worse, still havent sneezed. Any salted food taste bad. Sweets taste normal but any meat or salted food is horrible. Does anyone know how long that will last?

Overall I feel good. Slowly but surely getting there.

You sound great. I really did not have much of an appetite at all. Nothing really taste good for me. Did not last long. Glad to hear you have not sneezed and I hope you don't. The coughing is bad enough. Still in all, you are doing great for 7 days!! Best of luck to you.

It's a few weeks before things start to taste right again. I had hoped it would stay nasty for a while, but it didn't, so it gets easy to gain weight when things start to taste good again.

Too bad you're coughing. That can't be fun. But it's important to keep the lungs clear and take full breaths, so I suppose the coughing is necessary. It's not usual, though.

Best wishes,

Sounds like you're doing well with the exception of your coughing.....ouch! But you need to get all that stuff out of your lungs...very important.

Slowly but surely.....things will start tasting better eventually. Take care.

Well its been 7 days since my surgery. Things are going as good as can be expected. Today I made almost a mile walk (22 min) before stopping. I will try that same walk for the next week twice a day. Pain is manageable. The coughing still hurts like h---!!!!!!!! Seems like after I eat the coughing is worse, still havent sneezed. Any salted food taste bad. Sweets taste normal but any meat or salted food is horrible. Does anyone know how long that will last?

Overall I feel good. Slowly but surely getting there.

hey texsc. Food did not taste good to me for about a week post op and still does not taste exactly normal (I am almost two weeks out). But it is better every day and if mine did not change now, I could live with it.

You are walking longer than most. That is great, but don't overdo!

Happy trails.

My coughing is allergies. My sinusis are running down the back of my throat causeing a tickle making me cough. I think a pulled a chest muscle this evening coughing. Called the doc he gave me something to dry them up.

I am six weeks and it sounds very similar to myself. I had a cough and a tickly chest. This was due to the breathing tubes used during the operation and also one of the drugs I am taking (Ramipril) can cause chest irritation. The cough and tickly chest has now gone but it was quite irritating for the first two weeks.

I really hope this dont last 2 weeks. My chest muscles hurt bad. I am back to taking pain meds for now. This is by far the worst I have felt yet. I will continue with my walks as planned but not much other than that.

Question: When you cough does it feel like one side or the other of your sternum is raising up to the point where it feels like they are seperated?

I hope your cough stops soon. When you cough are you hugging a pillow or crossing your arms infront of your chest if you don't have a pillow right there?

Question: When you cough does it feel like one side or the other of your sternum is raising up to the point where it feels like they are seperated?

Yes, mine did and you could actually feel the movement too. It takes 6 weeks for the sternum to heal together and a good while after that before it's completely healed, so try like heck to minimize it's movement.

Everything tasted good for me right away. I ate like a pig....LOL. Hang in there and like everyone has said over and over. Walk, walk, walk, and one day at a time. Progress come fast. I'm 16 weeks and some days I forget that I even had it done.

Later, Mac

AVR, single by-pass 11/19/09, Carbomedics mechanical, Dr. Suri, Mayo Clinic

Everything tasted good for me right away. I ate like a pig....LOL. Hang in there and like everyone has said over and over. Walk, walk, walk, and one day at a time. Progress come fast. I'm 16 weeks and some days I forget that I even had it done.

Later, Mac

AVR, single by-pass 11/19/09, Carbomedics mechanical, Dr. Suri, Mayo Clinic

My brother had this same surgery 6 months ago and said he forgets all the time but is easily reminded when he does the wrong thing.

Latest posts

Back