One Step Closer to Stem Cell Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Understand that valves with the patient's own cells grown on this type of collagen scaffolding have been done before, more than a decade ago. They looked and worked great at first, but sadly declined to mush in mere months.

Because of the way the cells are grown onto the collagen, I have long referred to this variety of valves as "chia valves."

This avenue of investigation does have a great deal of promise. I want this to work, but I'll maintain my skepticism for the time being...

Best wishes,

Few breakthroughs happen on the first run. Every major breakthrough around cell development and growth is a step closer. It will happen in our lifetime. A little skepticicism is good, because it never haulted innovation.

A stem cell valve that works (I'm 100% sure in the future this WILL happen) -would be a God-send to all on coumadin for a mechinal valve.
My only worry is how much trouble would it be to take out and replace the old St. Jude valve.
- Would you have to fist fight with insurance?
- How do they replace parachute strings snipped when replacing the bad valve?
- Will the DaVinci machine be able to do this proposed proceedure? I would not look foward to having my chest cracked open again.
Icarus

There is much promise in the use of our own stem cells that I too have hope for the future for valves.

As far as insurance - I can't see them paying to have a fully functioning valve removed to replace it with a stem cell valve. I guess I wouldn't feel a rush to do it unless I was having trouble. (If it ain't broke - don't fix it.) Since all surgery carries risk - I wouldn't want to take on the risk without the need to do so.

Latest posts

Back