One less cat

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I didn't know how to title this thread; I'm not a devotee of "rainbow bridge."

Last night, we lost our 14YO Abyssinian, Fred, after dealing with renal failure for about 6 months. I had decided to call our vet Monday morning to make that last appointment to take him in Monday afternoon. But that wasn't meant to be. John got up, and found that Fred had passed away during the night.

Our house is awfully quiet now. Fred was a very "needy" :D cat -- he needed, no he craved, attention. He would stroll into the den, hop onto my lap, lie across my laptop computer, brace his legs against me and demand attention. He was our welcome wagon -- he made friends with any stranger who came to our home. He visited my office twice and wasn't the least bit scared.

We offer an animal a home, food and loving companionship, but we get so much more in return. Unfortunately, animals' lives are much shorter than our own and are over too soon.

Oh, this is very sad....but we know that Fred had some medical issues going on and at age 14 the choices are limited.
Please pass on my condolences to John, he must be missing his Fred-cat so much.

Marsha
Sorry for your loss. Pets can become such good companions. I consider my cat my "Heart Buddy". He comforted me many a day after surgery.
Take care,
John

Marsha:

I am so very sorry for your loss for it is great. Some people have been consoled with the message entitled, "Lend me a Cat." I won't include this here and I know that you are aware of this prose.

Sometimes I think that we are indeed "loaned" many things, people, animals and the like. They find us when we need them, and they leave us when they need to. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.

Blanche

Marsha,
I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your Fred. Cats have such a comforting presence in our lives. Little Nicky sends his best, too.
Hugs,
Luana

Attachments

• 000_0025..jpg
    000_0025..jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 85
You know how much Lyn and I love cats. Not much we won't do for them and it tears our hearts out each time we lose one. Sorry to hear of Freds passing.

John is the one who is grieving the most.

On our first date (late March 1980), after asking me if I wanted children (not necessarily, since I was almost 30 and he was 34), he asked what I thought about cats. That was a giveaway as to priorities. I guess if I had said I couldn't stand them, our relationship would have ended there.

Oh Marsha, I'm so sorry.
I know how empty your house must feel right now.
The furkids just get old too soon.

Ooooo so sorry for the loss of your kitty, Marsha. But, perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that he passed away quietly during the night in order to spare you even more pain by not having to put him down.

I remember last year, when I took my 16 or 17-year old tabby, Wally, to be put down because he was so far gone, dementia, uncontrolled body functions, etc., he still fought that needle to the very end. It was agonizing to watch. :(

May Fred rest in peace now!

Hi Marsha,

I am very sorry to hear about Fred. It is hard when you loose a beloved pet. My Annie is alot like Fred was. It would be strange for awhile without her. All of my pets are very special to me.

Hugs to you and John on the loss of Fred. As one animal lover to another, I understand how hard it can be so hard to say goodbye. He was blessed to be in your loving care for so long.

Another thought on the subject of animals lives being so much shorter than ours. I can't take credit for this and I'm not phrasing it as eloquently as I first heard it, but it made sense to me.

Animials live such shorter lives than us to teach us how to love and how to grieve at their passing and to learn that the pain of their passing does get better over time. This process helps prepare us for handling grief when a human loved one passes.

I just got an e-mail from Fred's breeder. Fred's older brother, same parents, died one month ago at age 15 or 16 (don't remember which). Lee was sending me a photo of Ricky taken at Thanksgiving by a friend.
I responded with the sad news about Fred.
Lee had named Ricky and one of his littermates, Lucy, for Ricky and Lucy Ricardo. Fred and his littermate, Ethel, were named for the Mertzes on the "I Love Lucy" show.
Lee loved Ricky to pieces (she and her husband never had children).

It's hard to watch them go. I still get "moments" where I think about one of my lost friends a bit too much. They touch a part of your heart, and your heart misses that touch when they're gone. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Be well,

I really feel for you, Marsha. Our cats rule our house. I have one very quiet cat and the other, like Fred, is a very needy talkative cat. Our last cat lived to almost 18 and also died of kidney problems. I think Fred had a wonderful cat life with you as his owner.

Back