On-x valve w/aortic aneurysm repair or replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I understand this correctly?

Do I understand this correctly?

Since I have the Edwards bovine valve (will act as a "frame" for the new valve if PVR is available) I am hopeful that the technology will be ready & certainly Edwards is preparing for a large portion of its busness to go that way...
I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I am talking with surgeons about both the newest Edwards bovine pericardeal and the Medtronics Mosaic (pig). What you're saying suggests that the Edwards bovine, if implanted now, would best situate a person for a later percutaneous valve insertion. Or did I misunderstand? This has not come up as a consideration. Could you explain this a little more?

Good luck to you...

Good luck to you...

After consulting with several surgeons (CCF, RWJ) and my own research and analysis, I've done a 180 with my whole view. The sole reason I would opt for the ON-X is the lure of low/no coumadin therapy. I'm not looking to start a debate, I know its a touchy subject, and I fully support both sides of the argument for/against the whole 'living with coumadin' thing (which only makes it that much more difficult to make the decision), but I'm going with a tissue valve which carries the greatest chance of no need for coumadin. If the trials don?t prove successful, then for me the ON-X would be of no benefit over any other mechanical valve ? in which case, I?d probably choose a mechanical valve that has more proven history and follow up (ie. St. Jude, etc.) ? again, not looking to start a debate over this, this is just my opinion. Of course, I make this decision putting my chips on the tissue valve assuming I can get 10+/- years out of it before need for re-op (with latest generation bovine valves, claim is that even at my age its very likely 15+ years according to advice of two separate surgeons), and assuming that's the case I'll reassess where I'm at then, where advancements have gotten to if any where significant, and then go through the whole process again. If by then the ON-X trials have concluded and things are positive, the decision for replacement of my then defunct tissue valve will be one of the easiest decisions I ever make. I?ve always been quick to heal, have a very high tolerance for pain, so knowing I?m guaranteed a second surgery in ~10 years isn?t something I can?t deal with (of course, I?ll let you know my view on this after this surgery when I can comment from experience!).

Best of luck for everyone else going through the same process of choosing their path. I don't have a date set yet, but within the next few months. I'll be sure to check back in before and follow up after. Its the least I can do, considering the best counseling I've received throughout my journey so far has been reading the experiences of others who have gone through this.

I am going through the same thing myself and I am getting a tissue valve (medtronic freestyle) to be able to have kids, but when I have the next operation I want the On-x. My hope is the trials will go well and I won't have to take Coumadin ever. I'm not big on pills or medicine, in fact I kind of have a fear of foreign things in my body. That's just the way I feel.
It took me 2 months to work up the courage to take Lisinopril and that was nothing, I don't even know I take it now. I just had to tell you that I feel the same way. Good Luck with everything, and let us know when there is a date. You will like this site, these people are wonderful. The most welcoming I have ever had. :D

The On-X Clinical Trial, http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00291525?show_locs=Y#locn
if successful will not result in not having to take any medication at all. If successful you would have the choice of antiplatelets (Plavix/Aspirin) or lowered Coumadin (with Aspirin). Also, there are some folks that get biological valves that have to take anticoagulant medication to prevent clots (particularly if you have Atrial Fibrillation - AF), so getting a biological valve is not a guarantee that you won't have to take Coumadin. I believe the percentage of folks with biological valves that have to take Coumadin is roughly 25% - 33%, but I may be wrong on this.

follow up

follow up

I realize this isn't the right place, but just wanted to do a brief follow up. I'm 2+ weeks postop, had the surgery & had a carpentier-edwards bovine valve, dacron graft 'installed', luckily the surgeon felt the root was stable and worth sparing, so no messing with the coranaries. I'll follow up with my complete 'journey' for benefit of us 30ish year olds that are going through this to read.

Hello Andrew,

I have a meeting in NYC St. Lukes to discusshaving the ON-X and joining the study. Any advise on prepetory questions for the meeting would be appreciated. Did you have any issues with your health insurance or life insurance policies you needed to address before the procedure?

Did you experience any complications with the ON-X post op?

I'm hopeful to be allowed into the non-warfarin anticoagulation treatment group.

AV patient, 53 years old.

Latest posts

Back