On-X and Activity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. David

I am requiring a second avr. My first replacement was a tissue (homograph) valve l2 years ago. I am a marathon runner and tri-athlete. My doctor has recommended an On-X valve for this second procedure. My concern is the level of activity this valve and the accompanying coumadin will allow me to have. Does anyone have experience in this area?

You'll be fine with that valve. It's the newest and most improved, but also has a proven track record. You may be able to have a reduced INR level with the On-X, as opposed to any other mech valve, though that is still in trials.
Coumadin won't affect your running, swimming, or biking, though brain injury should be avoided while on ACT. (Doh!, avoid those even without coumadin).

You'll be fine with any mechanical valve, most bi-leaflets are about same. On-X seems to be a popular choice here. So far coumadin has not been an issue. I am training as hard as ever and putting in 1.5-2.5 hours of gym-time per day. I was asymptomatic before the surgery and now I'm basically working out as hard as I was before. I am a competitive powerlifter and than should give you an idea of my exertion level.

To give you an idea of my program and diet here it is. Below is the list for the whole day. I had a protein shake made of milk and whey protein for breakfast, some oatmeal for snack, lots and lost of chicken and almost 2 cups of green-beans for lunch. Shortly, I am going to have some almonds and peanuts, then more protein shake. For dinner salmon or chicken and cup or two of broccoli (I do not really keep count, but it is always about same), and perhaps a late night snack which I am not sure what it is. This has been exactly what I ate before the surgery without coumadin.

Ok, my workout today (it's a light day for me) was: 10 minute outdoor jog about 11-12mph so a little under a mile. Followed by 4 sets of 10 bodyweight pull-ups with 3-4 minute breaks. 4 worksets of seated cable rows. Some miscellaneous work, some oblique work and land-mine work. Total time was a little over 1 hour.

Have no fear, all will be good with coumadin. You will need to home test weekly and adjust to your diet, but that should all be fine if you are disciplined.

Hi,

I agree with GymGuy on this. You can still be very active. The main thing to keep in mind that you are on Coumadin, and severe bangs to the head are not a good thing to have happen. You also will take longer for a cut to stop bleeding, so be careful and do not get severe cuts. I've had 2 AVR's now, both with mechanical valves, and can still be fairly active. I have been on Coumadin since March of 2000.
I'm a bit more cautious these days too, but then again that could be due to my age.

No fears... You wont be sitting around in a rocking chair!!

Rob

Although not on Coumadin, I agree with everyone else, it is not a factor in your running...cardiac athletes has many members on coumadin and run marathons and ironmans.
And Gymguy, you got my attention with an outdoor "jog" at 10-12 mph! Then I read more and figured you meant 10-12 minute miles....:)

Although not on Coumadin, I agree with everyone else, it is not a factor in your running...cardiac athletes has many members on coumadin and run marathons and ironmans.
And Gymguy, you got my attention with an outdoor "jog" at 10-12 mph! Then I read more and figured you meant 10-12 minute miles....:)

LOL. I did mean 10-12 minute mile. No idea what I was thinking when I wrote that. I am a terrible runner ;) Sprinting for 10-20 seconds is fine, but give me a distance that takes more than a minute to run and I will crawl it ;)

I'm 59 and have had a St. Jude mechanical valve for twelve years and have been on Coumadin that entire time. Been doing triathlons, half marathons and other various things for the past eight years.

My doc has never put any restrictions on my activities and has encouraged me to continue my current activities. I've not had any cardiac-related issues in any of my training. Coumadin has been a non-issue.

I've had one big crash on my tri bike where I literally cracked my helmet on the pavement, but suffered nothing worse than torn bike clothes and some road rash. I also had a slight shoulder separation in another crash, but that kind of goes with the territory if you do enough cycling.

My biggest problems have been with age-related over-use injuries. I've had chronic patella tendonitis in my right knee and Achilles tendonosis in my left heel which sidelined me for about six months in 2010.

Good luck to you.

Mark

My biggest problems have been with age-related over-use injuries. I've had chronic patella tendonitis in my right knee and Achilles tendonosis in my left heel which sidelined me for about six months in 2010.

Good luck to you.

Mark
I agree with everyone else about the lack of restrictions on activity. The valve and coumadin should not be an issue with even serious running.

Mark - I want to add that I developed patellar tendonitis when I was a very serious runner years ago. The solution for me was leg lifts to strengthen the quad muscles, which improves the tracking of the patella. To stay in shape during my recovery I rode a stationary bike very hard, which should not aggravate the condition. I never developed CHRONIC patellar tendonitis, so you may be beyond this. However, marathoning does not strengthen the quads, unless you do a lot of downhill, so leg lifts and other leg exercises to get at the muscles running does not use as heavily (adductor muscles are another), is very helpful in avoiding running injuries.

You will do fine with the On-X valve and being on Coumadin, baring any complications. I was exercising only a week after my surgery, walking 2 miles a day. After 3 months I was cycling 28 miles round-trip to work. Now, after 10 months, I lift things well over 100 pounds, do construction projects, mountain bike up steep hills and get my HR up to 190bpm with my surgeon's blessing. I've also had some huge cuts on my legs, toes and finger that needed stitches. I don't seem to bleed much more than before Coumadin.

In other words, have fun!

Latest posts

Back