On mouthwashes and beards

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juan P. Negret

I will undergo mitral valve surgery next week (25 June). I have two questions:

1) My dentist told me that I could use, up to two weeks, a special antimicrobial mouthwash (with clorhexidine). I have not used yet. Perhaps I could start today and finish it one week after surgery. Is it useful? What if it irritates my gums and they start to bleed?

2) As you can see, I am on the hairy side. Should I shave my beard and cut my hair shorter? If I don't do that, should I expect to have a pre-surgery whole-body shave and end up on the hairless side?

Thanks in advance,

Juan

Why did your dentist suggest that mouthwash? Do you have any dental problems? If so, you need to take care of them before you have surgery. Some surgeons even require a written letter from your dentist giving you the all clear.

As for shaving, don't worry about it. They are going to shave what parts of your body they want shaved. I don't think you need to worry about your beard. When I was in the pre-op area before my surgery, the guy next to me had a full beard and they had put some stuff in it that had changed it colors that they said would wash out.

Good luck to you

Kim

http://www.healthopedia.com/drugs/quick/chlorhexidine/

Be careful with chlorhexidine. It can cause yellow staining of your teeth.

I had a conversation about tooth whitening, etc, and other interesting dental things with the dental hygienist, and that was mentioned. She said that patients that have gingivitis problems use it, but the price they pay is the staining.

I guess, if you have to use it, you have to. Probably why the dentist gave you a time limit on it.

I didn't shave my beard off for surgery.

I also echo what Nancy warns you about the staining, and about gingivitis.

If your gums aren't healthy, they usually want you to get them taken care of before the surgery. If your gums are generally healthy, the antimicrobial mouthwash is of no value in regard to the surgery.

Best wishes,

Hello Juan, The surgeon I used required a letter from my dentist stating that my teeth/gums were free from infection. I was given a small bottle of Listerine to gargle with the night before and morning of the surgery, so no special mouth wash required.
They will probably shave the groin area for the bypass machine, and of course your chest, but that should be it. I did have two lines in my neck, so maybe they will just shave up just high enough to expose the vein. At least that was my experience. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Steve

Thank you all. I don't have gingivitis or, as far as I know any other problems. Last week I got a pre-surgical clean-up by my dentist and he wrote a letter for the surgery. He said that he deep-cleaned some "pockets" in my gums. I then asked about mouthwases. I think he told me about the chlorhexidine as an option. I probably won't use it because of the staining and because regular mouthwashes with alcohol (this one also has it) irritate my gums.

Juan

I had some prescription mouthwash I used for 2 weeks before and a week after surgery...im not sure whats in it- i will post once I have a chance to look. I have really healthy mouth/gums but they told me it would kill bacteria in my mouth and help prevent sternal infection from my breathing bacteria down on my chest.....it made sense at the time...I didnt notice any staining....they also gave me some antibacterial gel to put in my nose for the week before and after surgery also to prevent breathing bacteria down on my chest....I used everything, The people at Emory told me they had been working really hard on this protocol to reduce post op infections...maybe it didnt do anytihng, maybe it did- my feelings- better safe than sorry.

They will probably shave the groin area for the bypass machine, and of course your chest, but that should be it. I did have two lines in my neck, so maybe they will just shave up just high enough to expose the vein.

depends on the hospital, depends on who knows. the night before avr,
a little man in a smock marked "housekeeping" showed up with a travel bag
and a long piece of butcher paper. laid the paper on the bed, told me to
get nekkid and lie down. he proceeded to shave me completely, from adams
apple to toes with a 'lectric razor. used the straight razor on mr. happy.

only think not shaved was my face which i did myself, my head which my
cute stylist shaved before i left home, and my butt which i shall not describe
since bina is having breakfast about now.

come to think of it.....i wonder if that man was actually employed by the
hospital?

hospital?

PLEASE write a book...pretty please
Have you given any thought to your own blog?

hospital?

Just your local perv!

It's in the genes ChouDoufu, it's in the genes.

ahhh, i get it.....you be's a scientist. specialty is wimmin's studies....

so that's why you're always trying to get in their genes. :rolleyes:

I think a body wax would have been better. You know like the 40 yr. old virgin movie.

Wow. I gave the little man $5 and told him to go watch the game instead.

My chest was shaved, and few, square inches of one leg (for the cardiac cath). Anything that fits into tighty-whiteys is out of bounds and irrelevant.

The original Tawdry Shirt photo shows a full beard, still intact...even belly hair...

Best wishes,

Back