On Antibiotics

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalmist

Okay, I had an ear infection and I am on 10 days of antibiotics 1 pill every 8 hours of amoxicillan. I home test. I am on my 4th day, do I need to test again? Will increase or decrease my INR. It was 2.8 a week ago.

How much amoxi are you taking -- 250 or 500mg?

Amoxi has never affected my INR. I take it for dentals and when I get bitten or scratched (badly) by a cat. When I get bitten or scratched, I take 2,000mg immediately, then contiinue with 500-1,000mg every 6-8 hours for about 2 days. Never had any affect on my INR.

Seth, I have been on amox. many times, usually prior to dental appointments. Never had a problem with INR going up or down. If you test weekly, I'd test at the normal time. Since you will be on the antibiotic for many days, it might require some warfarin adjustment. But, then again, it may have no effect at all.

Hi and leaving your question to the experts
But i hope seth,your ear infection is better too.

zipper2 (DEB)

Check out:

http://www.hemosense.com/docs/5500331_TechBull110_DrugInteractRevA.pdf

Does not appear that amoxi will affect the INR, at least not enough to worry about.

There's a French study underway on INR & amoxicillin-clavulanic acid (I think that's Augmentin; I know it as Clavamox in veterinary medicine):

The aim of the present study is to determine if AM-CLAVAC can increase the pharmacodynamics of warfarin among patients at steady state Double blinded cross over controlled study vs placebo performed in 12 evaluable patients treated with warfarin with an INR target 2 to 3 and a stable INR and a stable dose.

http://www.druglib.com/trial/17/NCT00603317.html

I would test after you've been on it about a week just to make sure. Antibiotics are just weird. The same one may raise, lower, or do nothing to the INR, depending on the person. The only antibiotic I've ever taken that did nothing is Clindamycin.

Hey Seth! Sorry about the infection. They suck. I've never had a problem with amox. but think Lisa's advice is good just to set yourself at ease, and be sure you don't need an adjustment while your on it. Hope you are feeling better. Brian

Back