Omega-3 Fish Oils, etc.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

I am certain this subject has been kicked around. Apologize for being repetitive. Questions, wondering if those taking fish oil could share type and how effects the INR.
Would like to add some sort of product to my regime.

Recently had a good check up. Valve looks great, EF 55, BP Normal. I am showing a marked increase in scar tissue on the right ventricle. Asymptomatic. This is from surgery.

Was thinking about fish oil and how it could help the pliability of the heart. At least that is what they advertise.:D Understading it's not a cure for scar tissue. Anything to help strengthen the chamber can only help!

I did not bring this up at my appointment. Would it be wise to check with my card before starting fish oil? Seems like it would be pretty harmless.
Thanks!

Took Omega-3 when I was on Coumadin

Took Omega-3 when I was on Coumadin

Hi. I took Coumadin for a year after my MV repair (long story). From the beginning, I mentioned that I usually take Omega-3, and I was told O.K. Once the Amiodarone was out of my system, my INR was very regular. Since you are not taking it at the moment and are planning to add it, you should probably just make sure your INR is checked more often at the beginning. Adding it could produce a change, but once you are on it for a little while, it should present no problem.

My wife recently started fish oil, on our doctor's recommendation. Not me, yet. I have an appointment Monday, so maybe I'll discuss that with him. Others may disgaree but I always ask my doctor before I try any supplement. They can interact with your prescription meds.

Taking Omega-3 really didn't affect my INR at all. Either when I started it or when I stopped it. A few weeks ago I had my annual cardiology appointment. I had listed Omega-3 on my list of medications. He asked me how long I had been taking it and I told him for just a couple of months. He actually asked me to stop it. Even though my total cholesterol is a bit high, my HDL (good cholesterol) is very high and the LDL and VLDL (more problematic cholesterol) nice and low. He said the Omega-3 might upset that balance. Has anyone else heard of this? In fact, we even postponed doing my lab work for several weeks until my next appointment and that was part of the reason. I haven't researched the topic yet but has anyone else run into this?

Thank you everyone.

Betty, great to see you. Hope you have been well!
Very interesting about your cards suggestion. If you find out more, please let us know. It sounds like it can give a false reading. Curious why he wanted you to stop? Just short term?

..........Questions, wondering if those taking fish oil could share type and how effects the INR.
Would like to add some sort of product to my regime.
Seems like it would be pretty harmless.
Thanks!

I started 2 months ago a new brand: OMEGA-3 Purified Fish Oil by Nordic Naturals. I take 1000mg every morning. The oil is extracted from deep sea fish (anchoviews and sardines). According to the herbalist, the fish in the deep seas are the cleanest.

It did not affect my INR. I LOVE IT.

My cardiologist doesn't want me on it at all. I was a little surprised by the whole thing. I only started it because I have a friend's daughter who sells supplements so I thought I would try it. I go back the middle of April and I'll ask him a bit more about it. My St. Jude mitral valve is now 8 1/2 years old and doing just fine. It is aging better than I am!

Well, it does sound like you don't really need it anyway, Betty, but I've never read anything about it having a negative effect. I guess the cardio doesn't see good numbers like yours very often, and is afraid to do anything that might affect them.

Some thoughts based on my own understanding of it...

- the basic dosage considered effective in most studies is 1,000 mg of the omega 3 fatty acids themselves - not of just the oil that contains it

- it can have a mild, anticoagulative effect that won't show up in your INR

- I've never seen it referred to as affecting the "pliability" of the heart. That seems a very insubstantial and unlikely descriptor.

- It is specifically not for people who have advanced CHF, although it seems to be beneficial for most other heart patients. Check with your cardio.

Best wishes,

I started 2 months ago a new brand: OMEGA-3 Purified Fish Oil by Nordic Naturals. I take 1000mg every morning. The oil is extracted from deep sea fish (anchoviews and sardines). According to the herbalist, the fish in the deep seas are the cleanest.

It did not affect my INR. I LOVE IT.

Expensive but a excellent brand. I am sure you will be flying high.

Back