Off the Beta-Blocker...Yay!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanoeBob

Hi Everyone

Sorry for my abscence, I've been busy. When I was on the beta blocker, atnenol 12.5mg/day my HR resting was low 50's BP 110/70 average. Felt lethargic quickly when exercising tired quickly...yup thats what beta blockers do.

Last Monday I had a perfect storm. Didn't eat breakfast, rode my bike 15KM to a stressfull appointment and I had the feeling something was going to happen riding up a hill. After the appointment passed -out like a ton of bricks, ambulance, ER, stitches in my head. ER docs with consultation with a staff cardiologist said go off the beta-blocker. My GP agrees with them yesterday as the atenenol was the main culprit of the pass-out.

Now...my weight is 183lbs,(Throwdowners...hang in there) doctor says range for my height is max 195. least 155. lb. I am healthy, very active and loving every miniute of no restrictions on my heart except for aspirin 81mg. No more lethargic and getting tired quickly and I can Really live life the way my heart wants to.

Bob
Maybe moving to Newfoundland..I was told they have good doctors,lol!

Bob
Getting off Beta Blockers is a great reason to celebrate. :eek:
Beta Blockers and I do not get along and I was relieved after both surgeries once I got the approval from the cardio to stop them.
If you’re anything like me you will certainly notice the difference when doing any type of vigorous exercise.

I have been on them for 20 years due to cardiomyopathy, and guess they are part of me now. I often wonder if I would not go down hill if I stopped them. I take coreg and found that the time release version seem to prevent the valleys many complain about.

It is great to hear of people who keep up the good fight, nice work Bob

I'm hoping that my cardiologist will let me start to wean off my beta blockers at my visit next month. I would really like to get over this fatigue, since I feel that's a big factor in my weight gain during the last year or so. Joining a throwdown is probably in my future, but it would be nice to do that if I'm off the Toprol.

Bob - Great news! I'm glad at least some of us can dump the B/B's. I'll probably never be rid of mine, but with or without it I would have to work around the limitations of having a pacemaker. I will keep talking with my cardio about the beta blocker, though, to see if he changes his mind as time goes on. It does cause some other problems, too. . .

Latest posts

Back