Ocular Migranes?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeHeim

I know this has been discussed by a couple threads in the past, but I just wanted to ask a couple questions myself.

Since surgery, about once per month, I have been getting vision disturbances with my eyes (sometimes right, sometimes left). The disturbances are very similar to the effect you get when you look at a bright light (or the sun), and then look away. Usually, I will get a splotch somewhere in my field of vision, and then it will grow somewhat. After 5-15 minutes, it will start to go away. Yesterday was the worst one I have had, and actually completely lost vision in my right eye for about 10 minutes. On the previous posts, people have mentioned that they were told that these are Ocular Migranes and are pretty much benign. By the way, they have NEVER been accompanied by a headache (this is mentioned as a common occurance on some other websites). Here are my questions:

Why would this phenomena have started with my OHS?
I saw some posts where people blamed beta-blockers and other medications for Ocular Migranes. Have people had luck getting rid of these by changing medications?
Are these visual disturbances always benign, or can they be a sign of anything more serious?

I can't believe this, but I'm actually getting one right now as I write about them. Crazy...

I had those when I was in my early 20's for a few years. In time they went away. Same sort of this as you described. I was in my doctors office once when it happened, so he was able to see and define what it was. Almost 30 years later I had OHS, and after years of never suffering from any vision disturbances, they came back. For a time they were frequent, especially right after my surgery, but over time they went away and have not returned.

wow, this happened to me yesterday when I was going for a walk. I could barely see out of my right eye. There was a grey splotch that covered the upper half of my field of view. My left eye was fine. It went away after 10 minutes.
No headache though. Now I know it's at least a common thing.

I get exactly what you describe ever since my heart surgery also. At first it was just my right eye and it would take out either half or my entire vision out of that one eye, but then I noticed it would happen once in awhile in the left eye also. I no longer get my entire eye blocked out anymore, just the splotches like you're talking about. Mine only last a couple minutes though. Anyway, I told my family doctor about it and he set me up an appointment with an opthamalogist (sp?) who said both my eyes were fine, then had an ultrasound done on my carotid which was fine, then another echo to make sure everything was in order there, which it was. So he put me on an aspirin a day and thinks it may just be another form of an ocular migrane. I've been getting them less frequently the further away from my surgery date that I get....I wish they would figure out why this tends to happen to some of us after heart surgery and EXACTLY what it is....

Carista

I also get those from time to time. But for me, it wasn't right after surgery - I've gotten them over the past year or two, and my surgery was 9 years ago! :) I'd never had them before that - but my doctors also think they're migraines (I've also begun to get the headaches that last for 12+ hours at a time, but never the visual and headache together - though sometimes the eye disturbances will occur earlier in the day I get my headache). Don't know in my case if it's just my "time" to acquire migraines in my life (others have also said they've come on in their early 30s) or if it's beta blocker related. The headaches suck, though! :)

I hope you find some answers to yours & they go away soon!
Kerri

I well understand!

I well understand!

I've suffered from them for years! Mostly due to tiredness and working in IT industry.

Regular sleep and good Seratonin levels help prevent it. For me, a natural insomniac, a herbal 5-htp supplement helps me have wonderfully long, deep sleep with vivid dreams of warm sunny days.

I also have some tablets to take (sumatriptan succinate) which, if taken at the first sign of the flashing light, will usually prevent the rest happening.

Good job, too, because I always had horrendous headaches after a migraine (30+ mins feeling like a red hot ice cube was behind my eye)

21+ yrs. later still get them

21+ yrs. later still get them

If you find any answers I'd sure be interested! Carista, I'm glad yours are less frequent! Brian

double check with your doctor

double check with your doctor

Would you clarify what type of visual disturbance you have? I have ocular migranes often and they are the kaleidoscope variety, resulting in a field of vision that is very blurry. If you are talking about a gray or dark cloud that partially or completely blocks your field of vision it may be a TIA, which is serious and should be reported to your doctor.

No thoughts.............

No thoughts.............

just interested as Katie complains fairly frequently of headaches. She's too young, of course, to give specifics, but just pats the entire top of her head when I ask her where it hurts. J.

That is so strange that you mention this because I had a similar experience the other day when I was walking. I have never had them before. My left eye had gray splotchy thing that overtook my site,then in a few minutes it went away. I didn't mention it to my husband because I didn't want him to worry. Wish I could answer your questions but I am just as stumped as you are!

Sophie-
I'm pretty sure that mine are not TIA's because I don't have any of the other symptoms of a stroke, such as numbness, dizziness, etc. The disturbances have taken a number of forms. Sometimes they are like a small, bright splotches, other times they are just "dead spots" in my vision field. When I originally posted the note, I was going through my worst stretch of them that I have had so far. I had pretty much one every day for almost a week. Previous to that, they had been occuring about monthly. I haven't had one for about a week, so hopefully I am out of the woods for awhile.

Mike,
I certainly hope your vision problems are of the "ordinary" ocluar migraines variety and that they will soon stop. Before my OHS I never had any vision problems. My surgery was three years ago and I have several forms of ocular migraines still, the kaleidoscope of prisims of light being the most bothersome. Last year I had an episode where the vision in my right eye went 1/3 light gray for about 1 minute. I felt fine and had NO other symptoms. Coincidentally I had an appointment with my ophthalmologist two days later. I just mentioned it along with the other weird visual experiences. He suggested I call my cardiologist and they both consider what I had was a TIA. I thought they were full of it! I hate the thought. They said it should be taken very seriously. I just want to pass along what I learned. I want us all to be healthy!

Mike. I can't know if yours are visual migraines or TIA's. I would think you should really get a clear definition from your doctor so that nothing important is overlooked.

If migraines, there is lots of discussion from past threads. Visual (occular) migraines do not have to be associated with pain. Gratefully, I've not had painful headaches but have had the prisms and every other blotch -out, glowing wormy thing imaginable.

Since my AVR last tuesday, the one that is "getting" me is the glowing worm type. Like a bright tiny dot that wiggles across and then goes away....almost like a 4th of july sparkler. My blood pressure is all catty-whampus and I'm assuming that BP levels have alot to do with their occurrence since, historically, for me, they have.

These sensations begin in your visual field by getting triggered. If you can learn what your triggers are, you can avoid them, or at least be prepared for them messing with your visual field. My trigger list is something like this: Stress. Flourescent lights, Computer/TV screens, sudden bright lights (like reflecting off water, or a white wall, or a windshield)caffeine, chocolate, very salty snacks, MSG (Asian foods may have lots), Nutrasweet and every kind of imitation sweetener. Sometimes nuts, sometimes citrus (especially tangerines), purple grape juice (my all time worst trigger), red wine. Scents, like overly smelly laundry soaps, some perfumes.

I'm sure there are more for me. But whatever, I don't let it bother me anymore because it has a 23 minute lifespan for me and mine, so far, are not worrisome (not TIA's).

So, see if the weather, or a new restaurant or a new habit has brought you in line with any possible trigger. Avoid that, or have the light show.

I'm getting tired.....where are those vicadin..............hope this helps.:D

Marguerite

I experienced my first ocular migraine at age 19. For the next 50 years I would have them maybe 4 or 5 times a year. At age 69 I had a mechanical aortic valve inserted with the Bental procedure and a single bypass. Since OHS the ocular migraines have increased in frequency to about 4 per week. For 2 years or so I listed them after each occurrence, looking for some cause and effect relationship. I found none. Lately it seems they occur after a workout at my local fitness center, either after swimming or using the treadmill.
My ocular migraines clear up in 1/2 hour and are pain free

Hi, I too had a mitral valve repair and suffered occular migraines before and after. The odd thing is I do not get the headaches anymore since the operation. I am pretty sure my episodes are diet related. There have been many postings on this site relating to this issue and in fact I posted similar question to yours after my OHS. The jury is out on this one and there are many opinions as to the cause and the possible cures. All I can say for sure is that you are not alone. Weird that these occurances started after your OHS. Docs really do not seem to have any explanation that they are willing to share, I had a full on episode where my eyes crossed for a couple of minutes very freaky but the episode passed and never returned.
Best.

Marguerite53 said:
These sensations begin in your visual field by getting triggered. If you can learn what your triggers are, you can avoid them, or at least be prepared for them messing with your visual field. My trigger list is something like this: Stress. Flourescent lights, Computer/TV screens, sudden bright lights (like reflecting off water, or a white wall, or a windshield)caffeine, chocolate, very salty snacks, MSG (Asian foods may have lots), Nutrasweet and every kind of imitation sweetener. Sometimes nuts, sometimes citrus (especially tangerines), purple grape juice (my all time worst trigger), red wine. Scents, like overly smelly laundry soaps, some perfumes.
Marguerite

Wow!!!. That list seems to include everything except air and dirt! :)

I haven't had enough of them (thank God) to figure out exactly what my triggers are. I'm kinda hoping that they just fade away...

Long time migraine sufferer!

Long time migraine sufferer!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that have these. I've been having migraines from the age of 18. First, It was my untreated high blood pressure. They were so bad I did not know who I was or even see. They went away for 5 years, then thay came back strong with no warning. After looking on the internet and talking to the Dr. I found my high blood pressure med. Diovan was the cause. After changing my med. they went away. Now I'm 13 days out from my surgury and I've had one everyday I've been home. Only now there is little or no headache. (Thank God!) If anyone finds out how to stop the migraines let us know. MikeHeim, Thanks for starting this thread!

The link Johnny Stephens posted does a very good job of visually representing the auras I have seen since my early twenties. Mine seem to be linked to a thrombophilia disorder I was diagnosed with in my late twenties. The treatment for the clotting disorder was to take a baby aspirin a day, and when I started doing that the auras (and headaches that used to follow) ceased. Because I have had many doctors over the years and because I've never been very good about taking vitamins or meds, I have not always taken the aspirin, so I found that if I was not taking the aspirin, but I was running regularly, I rarely experienced the auras/headaches and, when I did, taking a baby aspirin at onset would cause the aura to dissapate and prevent the subsequent headache. I haven't had the accompanying headache for (maybe 5?) years now, even if I don't have any aspirin handy. My current doctor has me take the aspirin daily, which I am being 90% to 95% compliant about, and I don't remember the last time I had an aura (probably better than a year!). Anyway, this makes me suspect my auras are caused by (probably micro-) clots, since I don't have them when my blood really gets pumping (and hydrated, and oxygenated, I suppose) or when It gets a little thinning boost. I have no idea if this has any implications for the rest of you--just thought I'd throw it out there. Another point, I haven't seen in print here is that my auras definitely originate in my brain, not my eyes. I see them just as much with my eyes closed (although with a less contrasting background) and I see them in the same area of my field of vision with both eyes, as well as with one eye (either) open. I also notice that their shape (usually a modified "C") is fairly compact at first and enlarges and spreads out until it finally disappears.

Good points all around, PJ. I, too, see them with my eyes closed. What's really wierd is when you have that partial blackout, close your eyes, and you can see the blackout portion!! Oftentimes just thinking about them can make you sensitive, as if the memory kicks in. I, TOO, have had fewer and fewer with the aspirin regimine. I take Diovan, volsfan, and I have not found it to be relating to it (although I swear it brought my menopause to a screeching, painless conclusion!! for girls only, of course)

And Mike. I did not say anything about BEER!! :eek: :eek: Heaven forbid that a man can't have his beer!! ;) I think that beer does get to me, but I can't remember. I've never had a fondness for beer even though I live in the micro-brewery capitol of the world!

Watch out for those bright lights!! :D

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back