Numbness around neck area..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenebug

Just wondering if any of you experienced any numbness around your neck area after surgery? It is the strangest feeling-almost like feeling someone elses skin instead of my own. LOL I have noticed that my incision area is a little to the right of center, which is the same side as the numbness. It starts at the chin and goes almost down to the clavical. I am supposing this is just a nerve that was compromised and will heal in time (?).

Nerve damage would be my guess as well. At 7 months out, I still have a few numb areas and some sore spots here and there but as both sensations are less than they were a month ago, which was less than the month before,which was less than the....well, you get the idea!....i don't worry about it. Soon you will have the perspective of time which can be a big stress reliever.
Nerves can take months to regenerate. Hopefully as time passes, you will notice steady improvement.

Has the surgeon cleared you at your six week appointment? If not, you might mention it to him. I'd want documentation in case you continue to have long term problems, but as Karla says, it's very possible that it will heal with time.

I was cleared on last visit on Monday, but forgot to mention this to him...uggh. I will see him again next August for yearly checkup (had surgery in Sept, but met with him first in Aug.) Next scheduled visit with cardio is in Jan. Hopefully by then all will be well.

Did you have a large line placed in your neck during the surgery?
Both my OHS, I awoke to find a line running in my neck that remained there for a few days. I forget what they call it but it is a 'heavy duty IV' is the best way I know to describe it.

Perhaps if you had the same, it could have caused an irritation that resulted in the sensations you now feel.
I did not suffer any after effect from those lines but wonder if that could not be the case for some folks.

My central line ( in neck) gave me pain and numbness for the first month post op. it was bruised and sore but that because they had issues getting it in. I'm 8 weeks now and have no further pain or numbness. Always worth asking your surgeon about any issue like this.

At seven months the numbness should have abated by now. Talk to your cardio or surgeon about the still numbness you are still experiencing. There are those of us that had that problem in our hands and fingers that is easily treatable, for neck, not as easy to care for. Just ask the Doctor or surgeon or someone in the cardio world. I hope you find out something soon. Do not wait till next year if you are still experiencing numbness. Hugs for today.

Back