Nuclear stress test.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhayley

Hello and I'm having a nuclear stress test (Adenosine MPI?) next Tues. and I am so very frightened. I have read the post here regarding some of the expectations I should have BUT I am curious as to weather there are more current and better ways of doing this so as I can be spared (if needed) any problems I am reading about. Ok Im freaking out!:eek: Any info will help and I Thank YOU greatly in advance.

Hi Hayley. Since you have already had your valve replaced, I don't think you need to be worried. It is a lot like working out on a treadmill. They take a minute to inject dye into you first, take a picture with a groovey camera (ask to watch the pictures!), put you on the treadmill (okay with the electrodes everywhere, too, I think). You walk, they increase the incline, they ask you if you are experiencing any discomfort, they get you where they want you heartrate wise. Then you stop, and they whisk you back in, maybe inject you with the dye again, take another picture, and you're done.

Whatever the reason, because you are a woman, I understand that the nuclear part is essential for a correct assessment. Women and regular treadmill tests do not offer the best information. That's what my GP told me 4 years ago. I'd almost want to take another.....it would feel so much better with my new valve!

Hope this helps. Are you scared of the results? Sorry, I haven't been watching your threads as much as I should. What is the reason for the stress test?

Hang in there! Marguerite

Since having mine, I'm 100% against them. There is nothing that they cannot find out by some other means and place you in less danger. I'm not trying to freak you out, but I had and so have a couple of others, a very bad time with them.

Nuclear Stress Test

Nuclear Stress Test

My test was done a year before the OHS and for me it was approximately 5 hours long. They first injected the dye, waited about 1 hr. before doing the pictures which was at least 30-40mins long. Waited another hour or so then went in for the treadmill. At 6 mins. they injected the rest of the dye and had me go till I darn near passed out (read stupid doctor). After the treadmill I finally was allowed to eat and drink something and waited another hour for the rest of the pictures to be taken. My friend who just had one done was injected with something while he was laying down which sent him into what he described as a 4min mile run. So they can do it two ways that I am aware of.

rwsp768 said:
My test was done a year before the OHS and for me it was approximately 5 hours long. They first injected the dye, waited about 1 hr. before doing the pictures which was at least 30-40mins long. Waited another hour or so then went in for the treadmill. At 6 mins. they injected the rest of the dye and had me go till I darn near passed out (read stupid doctor). After the treadmill I finally was allowed to eat and drink something and waited another hour for the rest of the pictures to be taken. My friend who just had one done was injected with something while he was laying down which sent him into what he described as a 4min mile run. So they can do it two ways that I am aware of.
You had two different procedures 1. The Stress Test and 2. Gamma Camera Imaging.

I'm glad you posted that, Ross. I feel the same way. I didn't have the nuclear stress test. I just had the regular stress test about 10 months after my valve replacement. I've had several in my lifetime. But I am convinced that the last one was too much for me and set my post-op recovery back for awhile. There is nothing I do, nor have ever done in my life, that is that rough on me for that extended period of time, except maybe childbirth (which I also wouldn't want to go through again at this age and situation). I refuse stress tests now. They make me ill anyway. And my dad's heart quit beating the last time he was on one. Code Blue. They had to use the electric paddles on him three times, increasing the electricity twice, to get him back to life. There are better and less dangerous tests.

I had the nuclear Adenosine stress test and thought I was going to die right their in the waiting room. I could not breath and was turning blue within 10 minutes of the injection.

I Agree With Ross.....I have had an AWEFUL time with them as well...

I Agree With Ross.....I have had an AWEFUL time with them as well...

Ross said:
Since having mine, I'm 100% against them. There is nothing that they cannot find out by some other means and place you in less danger. I'm not trying to freak you out, but I had and so have a couple of others, a very bad time with them.

Like Ross has said, I too have had a couple and with my lung issues, coupled with the heart issues, I thought I was going to simply explode...the sensation is absolutely the worst I have ever experienced...It made me feel SO bad that I really became unbearably anxious and irritable (not intentionally, but I just could not tolerate the feelings). Truthfully, it scared the H-E- Double Hockey Sticks out of me....I don't mean to frighten you, I just don't want to see you go through what we did...

Hayley, I will be keeping you in my prayers as you go through this and please know that I, along with the others are routing for you. Harrybaby:D :D :D

Perhaps it is more dangerous for those with lung problems also?

Hayley - sending you hugs and prayers and will be cyber holding your hand.

I am thinking that too Gina...

I am thinking that too Gina...

geebee said:

I was just thinking that myself....when I had mine done, I thought my chest was going to explode by the sensation of extreme pressure and "exertional pain" simulation....It was horrible...Harrybaby:eek:

Hayley,

Nothing to add ... except....

Thoughts/prayers coming your way.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's time to take a leap of faith" ... Steven Curtis Chapman ... 'Dive'

64 Slice CT

64 Slice CT

Please check with your doctors about having a 64 slice CT rather than the thallium test.

Prior to his aneurysm surgery in 2001, my husband had the thallium test to check his coronary arteries. They were very gentle with him because he had a known aneurysm, and he walked on the tread mill only a little - just enough to help the blood move around, but no exertion at all.

Prior to his 2006 surgery, he had the 64 slice CT instead, which had become available in the mean time. In both cases, his coronary arteries were squeaky clean - as the majority of bicuspids seem to be - but it did show a spot of calcification that turned out to be the reason his mitral leaflet was having a little trouble.

Below is a recent link from CNN about potential screening use of the 64 slice CT in the ER. This would be a great help, because it also would detect aortic dissections and aneurysmal pain that today are confused with heart attacks.

However, a regular CT is widely available now, and anyone going to the ER with chest pain should ask for one when it is determined there has not been a heart attack. A regular CT will not show all the detail of the heart that a 64 slice does, but it will show whether there is aneurysm or dissection of the aorta.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/03/01/chest.pain.ap/index.html?eref=rss_health

The world of imaging seems to be a very fast moving area in medicine, and hopefully will produce better and better options for patients.

Best wishes,
Arlyss

geebee said:

I don't think so. I could breath fine through the test. Heck I was fine until about 15 minutes later, then everything went down hill in a hurry.

Im Speechless to say the least!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:Thank God I take enough anxiety medication to kill a horse.

cooker said:
It will be fine, you will be fine. Don't ride the waves of others fears:cool: :p :cool:

Tom
Tom she may well be, but there are more then one of us that had a bad time with it and if there is even a chance, I'm telling her so. I'll never let them do another on me again. Especially when there are others tests they can do to see the same things.

Read This Article, it may well be the cause. What do you think Harry?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/409255

Results: Mild to severe symptoms were experienced by 81% of patients during adenosine infusion. More than half the patients had dyspnea, but there was no associated bronchospasm. Although the patients with COPD showed parameters indicative of bronchial resistance compared with those without this problem, there was no further deterioration after adenosine infusion. Similarly, patients with a history of tobacco abuse, despite showing a tendency toward increasing airways resistance, had no bronchospasm during the administration of adenosine.

You're the best!!

You're the best!!

Well I am so grateful that I was given HONEST responses to my questions and although I dont want to accept them I must!:D It sounds like its a crap shoot & that I will have to just take my chances....besides, I live in Reno and gambling is in my blood.;) I really appreciate everyone sharing their experience with me...good or bad as that helps me in making the BEST decision for ME. Thanks again everyone and please know VR.com feels like a family I've never had....I'm so very grateful for that.:)

I'll just add my 2 cents here also. I really think that if you could have a 64 slice ct scan, it will give them the same if not better information about your arteries than the stress test. If they are looking for heart function, an echocardiogram is the method of choice.

Can't hurt to ask about those alternatives!

I had a 64 slice CT scan and it clearly showed the blockages that a cath later also showed.

Are they checking you for blockages?

Good luck to you whichever you decide to do!

Let us know.

Latest posts

Back