Now I wonder? Trasylol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

Stating this drug could cause death for up to 30 days.

When I had my Tamponade, week 3, major bleed, window, fully transfused and knocking on "deaths" door. Wonder if I was given Trasylol? What are some of the other replacement alternatatives? And....how safe are they?:confused:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23259981

Your Surgical Report should include a list of Medications.
Just go to (or write) the hospital requesting a copy of Medication List for your stay, including the surgery.
You will probably have to sign a release form that they will provide.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks Al. I have all of my records. Meds are not inclued:confused: Do you think they will have that record after 9 years?

Gina, Contact your surgeon. My surgeon said they were using it on everybody
at the time I was operated in 1998 and he presumes I got it. He also reassured me that I was well past the time any bad side effects might show up.

Marty, understanding I am well past danger. It just makes me wonder IF the bleed and tamponade had something to do with the Trasylol:confused:. I started showing signs of illness around week 2, event week 3. Usually Tamponde happens pretty quickly after surgery. This may explain why it happened a later date!

Gina, I don't know how you are going to get a scientific answer to that question. Your surgeon might help.

I don't know if it matters, but the reports I've seen specifically only mention the use of this med in heart bypass surgeries. Was this a med that is known to also have been used with heart valve surgeries? I was kind of assuming, "yes" in my mind, but I don't know.

Also, one report I read last night also mentioned a generic version by name; so if anyone is searching their records, they might want to search for the name-brand and the generic. Edit - aprotinin.

How long post bypass surgery are they suggesting there are possibilities for harm from this drug? I saw a small news piece yesterday but never heard about outside time windows. I also specifically heard them say it was used for bypass surgery but did not hear mention of valve surgery.

Thanks if you can help.

Susan BAV said:
I don't know if it matters, but the reports I've seen specifically only mention the use of this med in heart bypass surgeries. Was this a med that is known to also have been used with heart valve surgeries? I was kind of assuming, "yes" in my mind, but I don't know.

Also, one report I read last night also mentioned a generic version by name; so if anyone is searching their records, they might want to search for the name-brand and the generic. Edit - aprotinin.

At my hospital they apparently used it on all heart surgery. I had a valve replacement and no coronary surgery.

Hi Susan,

The 60 Minutes piece featured a 52-year-old man who had a valve replacement surgery. He developed problems right after surgery and had prolonged difficulties. They eventually had to amputate his legs and he died less than a year after the surgery.

So I guess it was also commonly used for valve replacement surgeries.

Jeff

Jkm7 said:
How long post bypass surgery are they suggesting there are possibilities for harm from this drug? I saw a small news piece yesterday but never heard about outside time windows. I also specifically heard them say it was used for bypass surgery but did not hear mention of valve surgery.

Thanks if you can help.

Can't help here. I am nine years post-op and they said I was beyond the time for side effects to develop but they didn't say when that time began. Your surgeon might know. If you find out please post.

I would *ASSUME* that they really mean that the drug is used for all types of OHS. ByPass is by far the most common, accounting for probably 90% of all OHS with Valve Surgeries coming in at around 10%.

Assuming again......when they mention bypass......they are referring to the technique, i.e, machine. Not so much the proceedure itself.

ALCapshaw2 said:
I would *ASSUME* that they really mean that the drug is used for all types of OHS. ByPass is by far the most common, accounting for probably 90% of all OHS with Valve Surgeries coming in at around 10%.

Seriously??? I had no idea. I absolutely did not imagine that valve surgery comprises only about 10% of all heart surgery. I thought it was a much larger percentage.

Gulp.

I wish I hadn't read this just now with my surgery only a week away. :eek:

I definitely will ask my surgeon about the time span about which they are referring for potential problems from trasylol. He is the same surgeon who did my bypass four years ago. Thankfully, bypass still in very good condition and no bypasses needed this time. Just Mitral Valve, as if that isn't enough.

ALCapshaw2 said:
Your Surgical Report should include a list of Medications.
Just go to (or write) the hospital requesting a copy of Medication List for your stay, including the surgery.
You will probably have to sign a release form that they will provide.

'AL Capshaw'

I'm glad you brought that piece of information up Al, because I was just wondering if I may have been given that drug when I had my surgery & how a patient could go about finding out what meds were given to them during the surgery. (not that I'm having any kidney problems but out of curiosity.) I remember I getting an itemized bill from the hospital in 1975 when I had my first surgeries but I never received one after my surgery in 2006. Thanks!:)

Jeff S said:
Hi Susan,

The 60 Minutes piece featured a 52-year-old man who had a valve replacement surgery. He developed problems right after surgery and had prolonged difficulties. They eventually had to amputate his legs and he died less than a year after the surgery.

So I guess it was also commonly used for valve replacement surgeries.

Jeff

I saw this segment in 60 minutes too & the drug was given to this man during heart valve surgery so it wasn't just administered during by-pass surgeries.

LUVMyBirman said:
Assuming again......when they mention bypass......they are referring to the technique, i.e, machine. Not so much the proceedure itself.

OOPS!

The word "Bypass" can have 2 different meanings when it comes to Heart Surgery.

Bypass Surgery generally means Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery with "Bypass Grafts" sewn into the Coronary Arteries to provide an alternate source of blood supply. These grafts are mostly (sapheous leg) vein grafts (or arm) vein grafts but can also be Mamory Arteries which are typically used for 'bypassing' the Major Coronary Arteries.

Then there is the Heart Bypass Machine used to circulate blood during Open Heart Surgery.

Hope this clarifies the references.

Regarding my 90 / 10 % statistics, those numbers may actually be more representative of Coronary Artery Disease PATIENTS and Valve PATIENTS rather than surgeries. Your (anyone's) Cardiologist or Surgeon should have a good feel for those ratios.

'AL Capshaw'

I was assuming again..it was heart bypass, i.e. old term "heart lung" machine;) Something is getting lost in the translation here. OR, the publisher is not aware of the differences. It's like comparing "bypass"surgery" to open heart valve surgry or other. Bypass not being the open variety.

Latest posts

Back