Nooooo, My incision is infected!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry to hear to hear this. Sadly i'm not surprised, I know one of the problems travelling far for surgeries is IF you run into post op complications it can be very hard to get a local (even a larger local) center totake care of you, especially if they would have to "mess" with another surgeons work, I've seen it many times, I think they just wnt to stay clear from any problems and many times they have alot of trouble getting the origonal hospital or surgeon to return calls, send records etc. especially if it is a problem that was caused by the first hospital, they are too busy CYAing. It's terrible.

Even easier Justin had a picline for BE when he was 11, when the homecare nurse came to pull his line at the end of treatment it got stuck in Justin's arm about 10 inches were hanging out the rest wouldnt move. His surgery was an hour away, (which was one of the closest CHD centers) and since it was in the middle of a blizzard, we thought a local ER or his ped would pull it. They all said they didnt feel comfortable since if it broke he would have to go to the OR, so basically refused. So we had to drive to where he had the surgery in the Blizzard it took over 2 hours, Luckily even tho it got late, everyone stayed around until we got there incase he had to go to the OR.

I'm really sorry, I can't believe they didn't tell you the first day, or even a couple days ago when it started opening up and the surgeon told you to wash it with water, that they didnt feel comfortable treating you and sending you to CCF or another hospital willing to take care of you so you could have gotten the proper treatment. Altho second guessing doesnt help anything. Since they DID 'treat" you and had you admitted I'm really surprised something as basic as doing an Xray to make sure the pic-line was in the correct place.

I know of too many cases like yours. especially if it is a child having the post op complications.
I'm curious did you ever call CCF since this started? Also is the local hospital the one you work at?
I'll keep you in my prayers, please keep us updated.

Last edited:
Oh NO!!!

I would be livid (but too tired to do anything other than solve the issue).

I hope you get the treatment you need ASAP. Do you have anyone who can help advocate for you?

Keep us posted.

Sorry to read this, it's enough just for our bodies to recover from OHS , when complications arise it is disturbing to read that your team of Docs are backing away from your well being.

Brad

Okay so, I think the last time I posted was when I was readmitted to Beaumont in Troy, MI. I'm a registered nurse for Beaumont in Royal Oak, MI. Needless to say, I am completely disgusted with the way I was treated at Troy Beaumont and saddened at the level of care I received after sweating, bleeding, and shedding so many tears for other folks and patients on my unit. I feel that the care was not reciprocated at all. I felt left in the middle of an argument or difference of opinion by a Cardiothroacic surgeon at Troy Beaumont, Dr. Robinson and a plastic surgeon, Dr. Meinenger. Like I said before, the only one who I felt actually cared to see me progress and heal as my ID doc, Dr. Aminova. Several times through the three and a half weeks that I've been at Beaumont she stated I should just go back to Cleveland because the docs at Troy would never do anything for me.

So I last I left, I was in the hospital for 24hrs, that turned into a week long pissing contest, with interventions ranging from wound vac placement, muscle flap, or to just close it back up with some sutures. None of those interventions were ever preformed, and I was expected to be sent out the door continuing to do my IV three times a day by myself and now in addition Wet to Dry dressings by myself. My wife had to return to school and work, so I had no support at home to do these things with her being gone from 9am-10pm M-F. I told them this and they would not give me homecare, so my overly concerned family told me to request to go to a Nursing Home. I was discharged after a week of nothing at Beaumont(my second hospitalization in a span of 10 days).

I went to the Nursing Home for a night, had a patient scream all night, be extra demanding and being pretty disgruntled which is understandable being in the later stages of his life with CHF and legs the size of tree trunks. Nice man, but really mean to the staff and vice versa. I had my fill of Floyd and the overworked nursing staff, that I asked to go home. They let me go home after showing them I could do the dressing.

I go home and set all my followup appointments with the Heart Surgeon, Plastics, ID. I still cannot convince my cheap ass insurance to bill for a home care nurse, so I just have a infusionist come to my home once a week to change my PICC line dressing and draw labs. She comes on Tuesday, does her thing, then assess my wound and says, "Whats that white stuff, it doesn't look good you need to get that checked out." <<-----Hence, insurance why I needed a Home Nurse who has a background in Wound Care

We are at Wednesday now, and I'm scheduled for my followup with my local cardio. I ask him to look at my wound and I kid you not. He throws up his hands, like a man who had just been caught cheating and with a squirmy look on his face says, "Whoa whoa whoa, don't take that off, I know nothing about Wounds, that's somebody else's business." I just wanted him to look at the yellow tissue to see if I had a problem or not. He refused, I asked him what I should do, go to the ER? He said, "thats your choice." LOL

I kind of simmer on that notion for 24 hours. I change my dressing on Wednesday and notice the white part has grown, its not painful, but it's very spongy to the touch and shiny. After having a painful dressing change, I decide to nap. I wake up thirty minutes later with Heart Palpitations and having this impending doom feeling you read about in text books. I felt like I was going to die. I stand up, my heart still feeling like its going to rip out of my chest at any moment. I'm kind of in this fog, then I realize I have to pee. With every bit of strength I had left, I urinate which shockingly caused my HR to slow down. It's still a little fast, and all of a sudden I get the urge to urinate again. This time it burns, is very foamy, and I pee twice the amount. My HR goes down again, but ten minutes later, I urinate again probably another 200ccs. I work on a urology floor, I know how to "eye-ball" fluid amounts. I'd say in the span of 25-30 minutes I urinated close to a liter of fluid.

Obviously, with the heart symptoms and the urination, I call my mother-in-law because I'm by myself and it's 3 in the afternoon. We go to the ER at Troy Beaumont on Wednesday for three hours. They test my urine, look at my wound, call my ID doc, and send me home. Oh I forgot to mention, the last time I was hospitalized my PICC line became out of place twice, I complain about arm pain and itching at the site. Practically beg them to do a Chest X-ray. It flushes and pulls blood, so its fine according to the guys making the big bucks. I told them that the line did the same when it was out of place. I get ignored yet again.

So we are at Thursday now, I had scheduled an appointment with my ID doc after my first discharge from Troy. We go in, she takes a look at wound. Uh-Oh, theres sutures popping out of everywhere. We discuss talking to my treatment team, but again, she gives me another little off the record chat. She doesn't think they are going to act and I should go back to Cleveland.

Being of level mind, I decide to give my colleagues another chance and move up my appointments. I was to see my Heart Surgeon at Troy on friday at 2pm, and my Plastic Surgeon monday at 11am.

Now we are at yesterday, Friday. I wake up do my first dressing change, do my IV and am preparing to see one of my consulted heart surgeon, Dr. Robinson at 2pm. I'm just about to crack an egg to make some brunch, when I get a phone call. Dr. Robinson will not be able to see you can we schedule you for late next week? I explain to the lady that my ID doc thought this was more urgent and that I needed to see him sooner. Nothing, no flexibility, it is what it is.

So by this point, after having go through all my turmoil with Troy Beaumont and their physicians, I'm starting to look at Dr. Pettersson's card and wondering, maybe I should call them. I think to myself, nah, I'll just wait till Monday, have a nice weekend with my wife.

For some reason, I put the eggs back in the fridge because possibly I'm nauseous that this Dr. Robinson is letting me down yet again. I hop in the shower, do another dressing change and the second I slap the last piece of tape on my dressing, my phone starts ringing.

I approach the phone with the Caller-ID reading "Meinenger Plastic Surgery." In my head, I'm thinking, "hey my ID Doc got through and they want to see me sooner." NOPE. They call within a hour to cancel my appointment for Monday and to schedule later in the week. This was the tipping point for me. After 12 days, in Troy Beaumont, leading me nowhere, I decided to pick up the phone and call Dr. Pettersson's secretary Mary-Ann. She referred me to Dr. P's Nurse Practioner. I told her everything that happened, and she set me up for a direct admission to Cleveland.

My wonderful in-laws dropped everything, my wife came home from work and we went to Cleveland last night. Oh I forgot to mention, the second time I was Hospitalized at Troy Beaumont, my dad flew up on a Monday after I called him at 515am his time and stayed with me through the MLK Holiday. A truly wonderful Man. The Cleveland Docs are getting up to speed on everything. I'm trying to avoid a Chest CT. Hopefully the results from Troy will suffice. I've had so much radiation with all my Chest X-rays and two CTs in the past three weeks.

I know I probably gave you guys too many details, but I'm trying to piece together a diary of all the little events or at least an outline of everything that happened. One day I would like to write a memoir of all this. I guess this is payback for my quick recovery 7.5 years ago. I know it could be a lot worse, my spirits are high. I'm ready to have a relatively minor surgical wound vac placement. I wasn't mentally ready for that just yesterday. I apologize for being away. As you can tell, I've been kind of busy. Some days have been very painful while others are pain free.

If for some reason, you need to get a hold of me, then text me at 504-452-5669. I always have my phone or my family does.

Thank you for reading, thank you for the support, and I pray and wish that nothing like this ever happens to you. Maybe this could be listed on the con side of the table for having surgery at another facility. LOL.

-Trey

Sorry to hear of the crap time you had!!! Really hope cleaveland can help you, thinking of you,
Love Sarah xxxx

It is so painful hearing how you have been treated that my heart literally breaks to read this is how trained, medical professionals are treating you...... you who are one of 'their own'. It's a disgrace. This is such a shameful case of CYA that it is sickening.

I so sincerely hope Cleveland takes the best care of you and soon you can look back at this time as a bad nightmare that thankfully ended well and you are on the fast road to recovery.

You are a very brave man and by sharing this terrible experience with all of us have done a great thing. Any who read this learn there are so many things to consider when making pre op choices.

No one could wish you more good luck and the best of good wishes than I do at this moment.
Please get well soon and be sure to come back with a big smile and tell us 'you showed them'!!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear this. i'm really shocked for some reason I thought you went to Cleveland after last update when they said they wouldn't treat you at the local hospital. Hopefully the fact you've ben on antibiotics all this time kept the infection from spreading. and you finally really are on your way to healing.

PS PLEASE REMOVE you phone number

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear this. i'm really shocked for some reason I thought you went to Cleveland after last update when they said they wouldn't treat you at the local hospital. Hopefully the fact you've ben on antibiotics all this time kept the infection from spreading. and you finally really are on your way to healing.

You are right, my ID doc wanted to ship me back to Cleveland last Monday or tuesday, then Mr. Wonderful, plastic surgeon stepped in. We were planning for surgery last Thursday at beaumont,but the two surgeons argued and I was sent to the nursing home Friday. I forgot to mention that. Looking back, I was naive, but having worked at Beaumont, I thought I could find someone to care for me, so my family and I wouldn't have to endure another procedure and follow up care 3.5 hours away.

I've been having anxiety tonight about the potential wound vac because I know the require a ton of follow up and since I cant find a doctor in metro Detroit to treat me, I am concernered about travel since I can't drive.

Anyway, that's not worth worrying about right now.

Trey

You are right, my ID doc wanted to ship me back to Cleveland last Monday or tuesday, then Mr. Wonderful, plastic surgeon stepped in. We were planning for surgery last Thursday at beaumont,but the two surgeons argued and I was sent to the nursing home Friday. I forgot to mention that. Looking back, I was naive, but having worked at Beaumont, I thought I could find someone to care for me, so my family and I wouldn't have to endure another procedure and follow up care 3.5 hours away.

I've been having anxiety tonight about the potential wound vac because I know the require a ton of follow up and since I cant find a doctor in metro Detroit to treat me, I am concernered about travel since I can't drive.

Anyway, that's not worth worrying about right now.

Trey

I'm surprised you found a plastic surgeon willing to operate when the CT surgery said they wouldnt touch you. I know when justin has his postop infection he had both CT and plastics doing different parts of the surgery,(He was happy plastics was going to be doing the closing since their part of the surgery was last)
altho his was in his bone too. Why were they thinking of doing the muscle flap? Did they clean your incision out at least? I can undestand tryning to stay closer to home to make things easier for you and your family. Once we were trying to decide between 2 very good hospitals for justin's surgery (nationally ranked 1 an 2 for CHD) one of the reasons we chose where he had his surgery, was it was 1/2 hour from us and the other 5 hours by train, longer by car and I thought about what would happen if he ran into complications after he got home.

I AM glad to hear you ARE at CCF now since they did your surgery, they will do all they can to make sure things turn out as good as possible. I wouldnt be surprised if CCF wanted their own CTscan if only to make sure things didnt change since the last one.

As for the wound vac, concerns, I would at least bring it up when you are discussing the options, nd IF you do need one, start have them working right away on getting homecare approved for you when youget home.

Ill keep you and your family in my prayers. I can imagine what everyone is going thru

Last edited:
You can't make up a story like that. Truth completely outstrips fiction again. Astonishing. I trust now things will take a quick turn for the better.

I'm amazed & awed at your tenacity, I would have asked for lots of pain meds & ?passed away quietly. Many prayers & wishes on the way. Keep yourself together for all of us, it unfortunately is a learning experience.
esvaja

Woah! To tell you the truth, I'm surprised ou are still kicking. You keep at it, and keep us up to date.

I hope that they are giving you proper treatment in Cleveland. Do you know anyone there who you could stay with for a week or so? I kow it's terrible to impose, but when it comes down to it, it may be better than driving back and forth, at least right after discharge with your history...

And do get that homecare script from your surgeon. You have enough stress as it is. You need to heal, not worry. Worrying doesn't help the healing process!

I'm surprised you found a plastic surgeon willing to operate when the CT surgery said they wouldnt touch you. I know when justin has his postop infection he had both CT and plastics doing different parts of the surgery,(He was happy plastics was going to be doing the closing since their part of the surgery was last)
altho his was in his bone too. Why were they thinking of doing the muscle flap? Did they clean your incision out at least? I can undestand tryning to stay closer to home to make things easier for you and your family. Once we were trying to decide between 2 very good hospitals for justin's surgery (nationally ranked 1 an 2 for CHD) one of the reasons we chose where he had his surgery, was it was 1/2 hour from us and the other 5 hours by train, longer by car and I thought about what would happen if he ran into complications after he got home.

I AM glad to hear you ARE at CCF now since they did your surgery, they will do all they can to make sure things turn out as good as possible. I wouldnt be surprised if CCF wanted their own CTscan if only to make sure things didnt change since the last one.

As for the wound vac, concerns, I would at least bring it up when you are discussing the options, nd IF you do need one, start have them working right away on getting homecare approved for you when youget home.

Ill keep you and your family in my prayers. I can imagine what everyone is going thru

Lynn raises a VERY good point and I wonder the same , my infection was in fact in the bone and it was my cardiac surgeon that insisted on doing the complete procedure himself and when comparing the results http://sternectomysupport.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/6257449-how-different-are-each-of-us-he came out miles ahead however Justins result is even better with a partial

When I had my chest reopened to remove all my wires, debraid any infected tissue (thoracic surgeon) and remove scar tissue & close (plastic surgeon) last November the plastic surgeon suggested she needed to do a muscle flap to provide a blood supply to the skin graft. I had been open enough (this would be the 4th time) that she said the skin couldn't just lay on bone, there needed to be something there to provide a blood supply. She was able to move ths pecs inward a bit without having to sever at the shoulder, but apparently is still considered a muscle flap. She was also able to stretch the skin enought not to require a graft.

another surgery was unavoidable. Scheduled for the OR tomorrow with Dr. Pettersson, my heart surgeon in Cleveland to open up my incision, clean it out, and close it with sutures, use a skin graft from my leg, or possibly use a muscle flap if my sternum has damage to it. Thanks everyone for all the support. I will have another update for you soon.

I copied that from my FB. Hehe. So I'm waiting to speak with the Boss. Apparently this was supposed to be Dr. P's week off, but the man is here operating on folks like me. What. A wonderful human being. I haven't seen him since it was decided I would have surgery tomorrow. I've been shot down by the nurses, so I called his office directly. Hopefully we can talk for a few minutes. He always seems to put my mind at ease.

I'll be talking with you all again soon.

OcuNurse,

I too am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. It has been quite the journey for you and I hope that the 'bumps' are over soon.
Glad that you will be in good hands with Dr. P. It is time that someone 'had your back'.

Hang in there.... :)

We are all rooting for you!

Last edited:
another surgery was unavoidable. Scheduled for the OR tomorrow with Dr. Pettersson, my heart surgeon in Cleveland to open up my incision, clean it out, and close it with sutures, use a skin graft from my leg, or possibly use a muscle flap if my sternum has damage to it. Thanks everyone for all the support. I will have another update for you soon.

I copied that from my FB. Hehe. So I'm waiting to speak with the Boss. Apparently this was supposed to be Dr. P's week off, but the man is here operating on folks like me. What. A wonderful human being. I haven't seen him since it was decided I would have surgery tomorrow. I've been shot down by the nurses, so I called his office directly. Hopefully we can talk for a few minutes. He always seems to put my mind at ease.

I'll be talking with you all again soon.

Sorry to hear that. but hopefully it will be a relief to know everything is cleaned up. Saying prayers the infection didnt get too deep. Hopeully they wont have to do a skin graft and are able to close it without one. Justin had his right pec muscle used for his muscle flap. he's left handed and the plastic surgeon asked before surgery which was his dom hand, so they would use the muscle rom the other side if they only needed one side, since it takes some work to get all the movement back. IF they dont ask, you might want to let them know what your dom side is IN case they do need to use a pec muscle.

Hey everyone,

I'm baaaacccccck. So happy to be in the caring hands of the Cleveland doctors, nurses, housekeepers, food service workers, and volunteers. They cleaned out my wound and slapped on a wound vac, Going to have this with home care for two months. I'm following up with Cleveland the entire time. I think I'm going to get a weekly rate hotel for the first week should something go wrong. I'm on tons of pain meds, so my writing msy be a bit sloppy.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayersl

-Trey

Latest posts

Back