no surgeon follow up appt

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan

just wondering if anyone was told its not necessary to have a follow up with the surgeon as long as everything seems to be going ok and ive already seen my cardiologist. im skeptical and thinking of forcing a meeting just so i can shake his hand...thoughts? thanks!

Oh, boy...I can't believe that? Anyone else? I'm relatively knew here but I just thought post-op follow up appt's were/are standard. I had mine at one month. Just my opinion, but that's not good practice.

I was under the care of my surgeon until he released me after a checkup in his office at six weeks if I remember correctly. After that I was turned back over to my cardio
Earline

I was told that I didn't have to follow up with my surgeon, just my cardio and he always checks my incision when I am there. My cardio and surgeon work out of the Herma Heart Center so if I felt like i needed him I could just set something else but no, he released me from the hospital and that was the last time i saw him.

I had one appointment with my surgeon 3 weeks post, he took me off all restrictions and turned me over to my cardiologist. I had an echo and cardio visit at 4 weeks and no new appointments for one year. After that, echo every 5 years.
Gerriann

I did not see my surgeon after about 2 days post op. He left the country and then I flew home. My cardio took over my care from there. I was offered the chance to meet with him at my one year check with my cardio, but I said "No thanks".

Kim

My surgeon saw me two or three times after surgery. He then went on vacation and I flew home. My cardio and pulmonologist took over from that point.

Karl

I saw my surgeon 3 times. The last time Im saw him he said all was good and make a appointment for one year. I never heard of a surgeon not seeing the patient post op no matter what kind of surgery it is

I saw my surgeon daily until discharge and then hung around the hotel for four days for a final outpatient visit (and permission to get out of Dodge). At that point he welcomed me to return in a year, if I happened to be in the area, but we're not planning a trip. Local care seems fine :)

I saw my surgeon once after I was discharged, it was about 4 weeks post op. He came in and was called away on emergency again...busy, but great man, wonderful doctor. So they told you not to bother with a follow up? I think that is kinda strange.

Best I recall, I saw my surgeon (who is the greatest) along with his staff in the hospital before I was discharged, and then I was turned back over to my cardio (who was also great). Of course I was free to call the surgeon's office if I had any questions. I think a pretty quick return to cardio care is the standard. Surgeons are busy, well, doing surgeries.

There doesn't seem to be a standard. I asked before surgery who my body would belong to after surgery. The answer was: surgeon 30 days, cardiologist next 3 months, back to primary after that.
The day of the surgery, my surgeon was committed to my care and also supportive to my husband when it seemed a problem was developing. He went on vacation right after my surgery, but I received excellent care from his practice. The followup appointment one month after surgery was with the nurse practitioner.
You need to find out who to contact with concerns in the weeks after surgery, but it may not be the surgeon himself.

Best wishes!

i saw my surgeon until i was discharged and turned back over to my cardio for any follow-ups. Unfortunately now my cardio is moving back to ireland and i am going to have to find another one.

I saw a PA in the surgeon's office ten days after surgery. She told me to call with any problems or if I needed an appointment during the next six weeks. I am scheduled with the cardio for six weeks post op. I am thanksful that I have not had a reason to call for another appointment with the surgeon's office.

I saw my surgeon several times in the hospital, but not after I was discharged, until I had fluid build up and my cardio referred me back to him for a consult. I didn't see him again until I needed my wires removed. Really, if he has checked the incision in the hospital and all is going well, there's no need to see him again.

Both my surgeries, I saw my surgeon once at about 4 weeks and then continued with cardio appointments.

Not here. Just a follow up with my cardiologist. I guess if things went bad I'd just call 911 It would be kind of hard to get back to Cleveland anyway.

Not here. Just a follow up with my cardiologist. I guess if things went bad I'd just call 911 It would be kind of hard to get back to Cleveland anyway.

Same here. They told me to follow up with my family Dr after one week, and then with my cardio at 4 weeks.

The surgeon didn't say anything about a follow up.

My surgeon saw me afterwards, at 6 mos and 1 yr and every anniversary. I think he likes to keep an eye on his "ross" patients.

Latest posts

Back