NINE years and ready to party

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg a

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Copy and paste of my journey
May 8, 2007 enter hospital short of breath and have an angiogram that shows numerous blockages
May 11 open heart surgery lasting 7 hours and comprising of five bypasses and one valve ring support
May 11 -25 Life support as the Dr's cant awake me and they tell my family that they don't know if i'll ever come out of it
May 26 fourteen days after surgery I wake up
Still unaware of my situation i am weaned from all of my IV's
I am moved to a recovery floor where a groin infection plagues me
I am then moved to a rehab floor where upon complaining about a sore lower back a surgeon removes a cyst
June 13 my original surgeon looks at my incision and he sticks a finger in it up to his knuckle and then informs me that he is going to have to tiighten a wire holding part of my breast bone in place and so..............
June 16 i am back in surgery to tighten the wires holding my sternum and ribs in tact
I was home in July but dropped in our drive in August
Gee since then i was back in hospital with a massive infection and that resulted in them removing my sternum/breastbone in August again i was out of it (coma) for 14 days and the family was all gathered but i pulled through and was finally out of hospital mid october
I am still off work (don't know if I even have a job) but it is GREAT to be alive
I was implanted with an ICD pace/defib in July of 2008 and am part of a study from the Ottawa Heart institute ( RAFT study) I attended a Cardiac rehab exercise pgm and continue at a a diabetic clinic on a regular basis as well as quarterly visits to a Heart function clinic and cardiac implant clinic ...I was at a Renal clinic today ...our health care system really works when you need it here in Ontario.
I have been in touch with butterly50 and openchestman here on this forum both have had radical sternectomy and have given me hope in knowing that I am not alone. If you feel the need I can provide you with more personal contact information for us ( I say us as my wife may be better able to see it from your side) I will provide you with email info and from there we can send phone numbers...I think Sharon would be great to talk to as she was there all along doing the hard work while i slept LOL

epstns;n865158 said:
Hey, Greg! How have you been? I've missed you around here. Thanks for stopping back to check in.

How have you been doing?
​Doing well thanks ,
Now up to six grandchildren (one at the start of the journey) so in reality GREAT ....my ICD has revived me a few times so I guess the Good Lord just is not ready for my shite .. LOL My wife has not kicked me out or changed my phone number despite the challenges of having me around :Happy:

How are you doing?

Hey Greg a thanks for posting.

as you may know I'm still on antibiotics and there is a possible infection of propioni bacteria in me ... I say possible because I'm asymptomatic but have remained on amoxicillin for the years since my last debridement op.

I guess you can say its a background concern of mine.

Thanks for the link for the support group. I hope to not need it but may ask a few questions of you none the less.

Best Wishes

Greg - I'm still here, and still married to the same semi-patient wife. We now have a grandson who is nearly a year old -- and the last time you and I "talked" our daughter wasn't even married. She now lives in western MA, so we only see them a few times a year.

I'm still working 50+ hours a week and trying not to show signs of slowing down. Mentally, I'd like to slow it down, but physically I feel good enough not to have to. I can thank my valve and pacemaker for that.

Actually, I'm expecting that at one of my next couple of pacemaker interrogations that I will be told that it is time for mine to be replaced. At time of implant, the pacer estimated 6.5 years of battery life, so it is getting closer.

All-in-all, life is good. It is nice to "see" you again.

Hi Greg!
So nice to see your post and update. As Steve said, we have missed you on the forum. So glad that things 'are holding' and life continues with another grandchild.
Congratulations to you on this special date.
Always appreciated your posts and insight here.
Don't be a stranger.
Wishing you all the very best!

Back