News release for BAV

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I asked my cardiologist about the brain aneurysm - BAV association she told me the increased risk was only really present in the BAV'ers with Coarctation of Aorta. That removing those with COA from the BAV samples led to no higher risk for someone with BAV versus those without BAV.

My cardiologist told me that, unless I had Marfans (which I'm far too round and inflexible to have) this wasn't really a concern. Also said that I have a connective tissue abnormality, not disorder. Anybody have any further information on that?

I don't have any scientific data to offer to the discussion, all I know is that Cleveland Clinic recommended that my husband be screened for the possibility of brain aneurysms after his surgery for BAV repair, and ascending aortic aneurysm repair. We followed up with this after we returned home from surgery. To be honest about it.....if there is a possibility and you already have been treated for an aneurysm.....I would push for the test. Better safe than sorry with BAV concerns.

I wrote about my friend Carol last year. If you ever have had an (aoritc) aneurysm, you are more prone to brain aneurysms. But should we all have our brians irradiated? I have been bombarded with so much radiation in the last 20 years, it is amazing I do not glow. I guess we should just hope that our doctors should recognize this possibility.

Did I ever tell you I saw Sharon Stone eating out at an Italian restaurant in San Francisco in 2002, when she was recovering from a brain aneurysm? She looked so thin and weak, but beautiful and HUNGRY! Totally unrelated, huh? Oh, well, she has obviously bounced back from her brain aneurysm.

We probably should all work with our neighborhood emergency rooms so that they know what sorts of things to screen for if we VR people come in with brain problems.

It is my understanding that the connective tissue disorder can manifest in the heart, brain, or legs -- Sammy's twin, Giovanni, has migraines and they did an heaqd MRI to rule out the connective tissue disorder. They thought that since Sammy has it that Giovanni might as well-- just not in the heart.

PAD has a similar range of areas that it effects. I wonder if there is any connection...

Here's a Youtube video of Dr. Schievink presenting this study briefly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeScT2hD0GI

This may be a new study, but the connection between the two has been known for a while. I gather Dr. Schievink first reported the association in the mid 1990s. I think he presented this information, with a smaller number of patients at the International Stroke Conference in 2008. I read about that and saw a video of his earlier presentation on Youtube. I brought this up to my surgeon's staff a few weeks before my surgery and they acknowledged it and said I could have a brain MRI to investigate this. I did and was cleared. Here's a thread I posted about that:

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?32826-Getting-Brain-MRI-on-Wednesday
The Youtube video I linked in that thread of the earlier presentation on BAV and cerebral aneurysms is gone.

There is an association with coarctation, BAV and brain aneurysms, as shown here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16532727

but I believe Dr. Shievink's study found it independent of coarctation.

Thanks for sharing, Ruth :)

A cardio told me about this possiblity in 1994. But it's interesting to see how further studies seem to be closing in on various bicuspid tendencies. And yet there are still so many unknowns.

One thing I wonder about, that is yet unknown, is , while a person may not currently have a brain aneurysm, why and when might one occur? The medical authorities still don't seem to know.

So many variables.

Thanks for sharing, Ruth :)

One thing I wonder about, that is yet unknown, is , while a person may not currently have a brain aneurysm, why and when might one occur? The medical authorities still don't seem to know.

So many variables.
Yep, Dr. Schievink appears to recommend MRI every 10 years.

Coarctation Aorta MRI imaging

Coarctation Aorta MRI imaging

I have Coarctation of the Aorta , which has been resectedand bav. I have five yearly MRIs with brain scan to check circle of willis for anersym. I have been advised by cardiologist that the BAV and coarctation apperently increase the risk of developing one . Am happy to say that so far all has been normal;) . Seems a sensible idea as it is a painless test ( numb backside excluded ! ) and is reassuring ...

Yep, I had a brain MRI, too -- it was empty -- showed nothing. :p:p

Personally I think I have reached worrywart overload -- if more perils of hidden maladies are out there, I don't want to know about them. Head now going in the sand. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back