News from Dennis S?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Dennis

"The fire is close, and we are dealing with a fair amount of smoke so far. We are fortunate that the strong prevailing winds are blowing the fire away from us. I feel pretty calm about that fire hitting us, but things are so dry that there is a real danger if someone is stupid about camp fires or fireworks. We traditional start getting our summer monsoon season in the beginning of July, and the experts I read are predicting some significant moisture. We remain watchful in the meantime."

Thanks to all of you for your concern and prayers. Spring is a windy time in New Mexico, but the extent and velocity of the wind for the last 60 days exceeds anything I have ever experienced here. it is looking to me like this is one of those fires that will burn until the it rains or runs out of fuel.

This is usually a busy time here, but no one is being allowed into the back country, for obvious reasons. The roads on our end of the fire are pretty much deserted. Those business's that depend on holiday traffic are taking a terrible beating. The only real business in town is feeding various groups of firefighters.

Imagine working at elevations in excess of 8,000 to 10,000 feet, covered by heavy, fire protective clothing. In some places, the water they use to fight the fire has to get there on the strength of their backs. It is hot apart from the fire, but these guys are working in a much hotter environment. It can be difficult to get the oxygen required for hard work at these altitudes-but these guys are fighting the altitude and the smoke for the oxygen they need to do their work. They are hero's, and we have no trouble remembering that, or treating them like heroes when we meet them in our little town. When they are able to get into the village for a hot meal, everybody insists that their meal orders go first. Again, we appreciate your prayers and concerns.

this posted 12mins ago on FB by Dennis

We just saw several slurry bombers fly over, as well as a helicopter. There is some ash falling out of the sky, but this has happened before. There is some concern that one of the back fires (started intentionally to deprive the main fire of fuel) may have gotten out of control. I have been working the phones for any additional information, but no dramatic news so far

I just got off the phone talking to my niece who is an employee at the Los Alamos Plant! She's been off work since Wednesday and the fire is still raging --- only 6% contained.

Apparently the fire does not pose a threat to the plant because the fire crews were able to deter it by doing intentional burns all around the perimeter. However, the winds are blowing hard and they worry that the fire may shift directions again, back in the direction of the plant. At the moment, the fire is north. in the Santa Clara Mtns.

My niece and family live in Espanola, NM which is about 28-30 miles from the plant. She said it is raining ash where they live and they have been cautioned against using their swamp coolers and to stay indoors as much as possible.

So New Mexico, Arizona, parts of Texas, are literally burning up! Let's pray for rain......oh boy, but then comes the lightening.....!!! :eek2:

Dennis, I am glad you are safe and not doing any "storm chasing" with your camera! Thank you for the updates. Thinking of you. Stay well.

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back