Newly Diagnosed with MVP with severe regurgitation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. The personal stories of these friends I knew who had Kaiser and are now no longer with us told me a lot.
I agree to disagree :) We might have different mindsets. (Which is certainly ok!) For me, to compare systems X and Y, I'd need to see a sizable statistics from both.

His clogged arteries were missed by Kaiser.
Was there an angiogram ever done (CT or through catherization)? Or was he asymptomatic until the end?

Something went wrong w the stent and he also died at Kaiser ER.
AFAIK, stents don't always work, although over the years the technology improved to reduce re-clogging.

My conductor found out he had multiple myeloma from a blood test to get more life insurance. He never knew this from going to Kaiser.
Unfortunately, the condition seems incurable... I wonder how it was missed though. Were there any symptoms?
For my blood tests I get the full report online the next day. Where it's rather clear if any parameter is out of expected range. Was kind of amusing to see how they were normalizing after surgery during the hospital stay.

Just different opinions and many have not had the issues with their health like I’ve had.
Well, I had/have issues that were checked, monitored, discovered, or fixed by Kaiser. And my strong preference is to stay with them.

Thanks for sharing the stories. And really sorry to hear you had several friends passed away. I do too, although I'm likely somewhat younger than you.

Last edited:
Maybe you’ll get a kick out of my story of surgery at Kaiser. My best friend, who had Kaiser since she was a child and then was a RN when I worked there, talked me into getting a hernia repaired as outpatient. She said the surgeon was excellent so I agreed. I had the surgery, but when I awoke, tears came down and my nurse asked if I was in pain. I shook my head yes, but I wasn’t in pain. I was so glad they hadn’t killed me, but I didn’t want to say that!

Maybe you’ll get a kick out of my story
I find the story to be disturbing. Sounds like you went in a worried state, which is not great. This is the reason why I'm glad you are happy about your providers, even when my own perception of them may be less rosy.

You didn't comment on the outcome. I hope the surgery was successful.

After my own heart surgery at Kaiser, I ran out of the thank you cards. My wife took a bunch when we were leaving the cardiac unit. When I started to fill them in, there were not enough. A lot of people provided an outstanding care.

Oh dear, sorry to disturb you. I didn’t realize I was concerned about my outcome until I was ready for surgery and the anesthesiologist came in. I asked him if the intubation tube was tapered. He chuckled and said no one had ever asked him that. It was my 2nd hernia surgery but the first time I would be under anesthesia.
So I was nervous about that. My first surgery I was just numbed waist down and was awake in a twilight Valium way.

The outcome was fine. They sent me home with a very numb upper leg and groin area. When it wore off at home it was very painful. I had never experienced that much pain.(and I had my baby natural , so I know I’m good handling pain). I was given some pain meds so I took them. I recovered and never had issues again.

Hey there. I just wanted to introduce myself. 38 y.o. Male. Construction worker, San Francisco.

I have been physically active my whole life. Played sports as a child and teenager, got into construction, and enjoyed physically creating things and working with my hands. Outdoors on the weekends. Stayed in good shape, alot of cardio. Never used steroids or any other supplements aside from GNC protein powder.

I got sick in Sept. of 22 with the flu. I stopped exercising when sick, and waited until I felt healthy to resume. 4 weeks later I resumed running, but noticed I would get winded quickly and so stopped pushing myself. I shortened my workouts and figured I'd get it back with time.

About 10 months ago, I noticed I would get lightheaded when climbing tall ladders occasionally, but in the mornings only. I figured maybe I needed to cut back on the coffee, and would fill my moring thermos with 50% water to dilute my coffee. However these lightheaded/dizzy spells contiued sporadically.

I went to a physician, and after explaining the above, was given a blood panel, physical exam, and ekg. The results came back that I was in perfect health. 6 months later I returned to the same physican and explaned that the dizzy spells had become more frequent, multiple times a week. The same tests were repeated with the same result. At this point I was still working out and lifting weights, but not at the scale I had been previous to catching the flu.

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in my car taking morning break at work and felt very weak. Confused, dizzy and lightheaded. I called to make an appt with my physician. As I went to get out of my car, I fell back into the car seat. I felt pressure in my chest, and expelled a powerful cough. My heart was pounding and thudding in my head. I thought to myself 'here comes a heart attack' and called for an ambulance. At the hospital I was told that I was experiencing arrythmia, not heart attack or stroke.

I followed up with my physician, and was referred to a cardiologist. I was given a Holter Monitor to wear for 2 days, and a echocardiogram was scheduled for the following week. I felt especially ill the day of the echo, chest pains, weakness and fatigue. After the echo I was told I have MVP, and the cardiologist expressed suprise that I had not complained sooner. A Transesophageal echocardiogram was scheduled for a few days later, with a follow up 2 days after that to go over the results. After the TEE I was told its likely my mitral valve would need to be repaired or replaced. This personally does not suprise me; I have gone from climbing ladders and working physically 8 hours a day, to being strained taking out the trash or going to the grocery store. In 2 days I have the follow up with my cardiologist, in which they will discuss my diagnosis and possible courses of action.

I have found a great deal of useful information lurking on this site. In particular are the comparisons of MVP repair vs replace, Bio vs Mechanical, and possible courses of medication with each. From this point on, I am interested in educating myself so I am able to recieve the best care possible in the Bay Area. The big name hospitals I keep hearing about are Stanford and UCSF. My current Cardiologist is with Dignity Health. After some conversations I have also heard the name on the building is not as important as the experience of the surgeon performing the operation. If anyone has any recomendations for a PPO health plan with generous coverage in the Bay Area regarding MVP, please let me know.

Thank You.
Hey Motion4663,
MV patient and a Northern California resident here as well.
I don't have an answer to your specific question, but don't limit yourself considering plans with coverage only in the bay area (you mentioned PPO's, I think they should work nation wide). I had my first OHS at dignity. Knowing what I know now I would have chosen some place else, I'll say this much. I was naive thinking that this area has the best of everything, including heart surgeons, lol. There are large high volume mitral valve centers back east, particularly mount sinai, they used to have free virtual consultations for out-of-state folks. As you mentioned UCSF is the largest regional research center here as well. I have not had personal experience at Stanford. Talk to as many surgeons as you can, to make an informed decision. For us mitral valve patients the best shot for repair is the first surgery, and as a patient you want to have a lasting repair for a mitrial valve. Feel free to dm me if you'd like.

Last edited:
I disagree. The personal stories of these friends I knew who had Kaiser and are now no longer with us told me a lot.
Besides my neighbor, my friends husband fell over and died on a bike ride. His clogged arteries were missed by Kaiser. Another trumpet playing friend had a stent put in. He had done a 40 mile bike ride the day before. Something went wrong w the stent and he also died at Kaiser ER. My conductor found out he had multiple myeloma from a blood test to get more life insurance. He never knew this from going to Kaiser. He died in just a few months. And these are just in a small circle of friends.
Anyway, I know my friends that have Kaiser and love it would never switch.
Just different opinions and many have not had the issues with their health like I’ve had.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. In my observation, Kaiser is for people who are healthy, while if you have a problem -- good luck – you get gaslit and doctors refuse to listen to you.

Last edited:
There are multiple ways of dealing with mitral insufficiency. As mentioned repair, replacement and mitral clip. The details of the type of valve defect may determine what is the appropriate procedure. By far the mitral clip is the easiest to go through. Ask if you are a possible clip candidate. If you have repair that can give you an indeterminate amount of time before the next procedure which would be replacement. If you have the clip there is also an indeterminate time for the clip to work. I had a mitral clip placed 7 years ago. So far no deterioration. The anatomy of the valve defect may drive what is done. But at least ask about the clip. Generally it has been used for older patients but not exclusively. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back