Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pweeder

Hello Folks i am a newbie here. Both from the surgery and to the forum. Just 12 days removed from Surgery. I am glad i found this Forum. Wish i found is sooner. It is great to hear of others success stories. I have been up and about walking more and more each day. Doctor said it was and is important to keep on walking. Walked about a 1-1/2 miles yesterday. I do not want to push it. Any ideas on what is ok this early after Surgery?
Patrick

Aortic Valve Replacement. Ascending Aortic Aneurysm removed. Bypass done. Mechanical Valve installed.
August 13th 2009.
Pat Pappas Christ Advocate Hospital Oak Lawn, IL
Heart History
Blockages in three non main arteries. 30/40 and 60%
Medications
Coumadin and aspirin and a statin.

Hello Folks i am a newbie here. Both from the surgery and to the forum. Just 12 days removed from Surgery. I am glad i found this Forum. Wish i found is sooner. It is great to hear of others success stories. I have been up and about walking more and more each day. Doctor said it was and is important to keep on walking. Walked about a 1-1/2 miles yesterday. I do not want to push it. Any ideas on what is ok this early after Surgery?
Patrick

Aortic Valve Replacement. Ascending Aortic Aneurysm removed. Bypass done. Mechanical Valve installed.
August 13th 2009.
Pat Pappas Christ Advocate Hospital Oak Lawn, IL
Heart History
Blockages in three non main arteries. 30/40 and 60%
Medications
Coumadin and aspirin and a statin.

Do what you can tolerate, though a mile and a half is excessive this soon. Back off a little unless your body is fine with it.

Welcome, Patrick! It sounds like you're doing really well.

People have a wide range of abilities after surgery. This early it's probably a good idea to take periodic short walks spread out over the day--it's just good to move. At one month, my cardiologist told me to walk until I got tired, and then come home. If you're doing 1.5 mi at 12 days, you're doing a lot better than I was at that point!

Welcome to the zoo:D ... As far as walking / exercise goes, listen to your body ... there is no rush in recovery ... at twelve days you have a lot a healing that has “not” taken place ... be sensible.

Patrick

Wow, walking 1 1/2 miles after surgery is fantastic. At 12 days post op I was barley walking around the block one time. I'm almost 4 weeks post op myself and just started walking a mile 3 days ago. As Ross stated don't overdue your exercise at this point. If your body is tolerating the walking well then I guess I would keep it up too. I hope to walk 2 miles in one day some time this week. Good luck with your recovery.

OK PeeWee, you have aroused my curiosity.

WHICH mechanical valve did you select?
(ATS, Carbomedics, Medtronic, On-X,
St. Jude Master's Series, St. Jude Regent)?

How did you go about making the selection?

Or did you simply go with whatever Mechanical Valve your Surgeon offered?
If so, which valves did he offer?

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome! Another Chicago area member! Be sure to stop by the Anticoagulation Forum here and read the stickies. The info there will either confirm that your Coumadin managers know what they're doing, or don't. There's still lots of old old myth and protocol being used today that shouldn't be.

Al at the time i didnt know enough and wasnt aware i had options as far as which valve i could choose. The Surgeon chose the valve. It says it is the ATS Open Pivot Bbileaflet AVG
Pat

I think it's probably more important to walk a reasonable distance, at a reasonable pace, several times a day than try to get one long walk in. Of course, maybe your 1 1/2 was the cumulation of a day's walking. If so, it sounds great!
Welcome to VR!

Patrick.

that sounds like a loong walk, to me. Be careful and don't go alone that far or have your phone w/you.

Welcome to VR. Lots of info here.

Welcome! That is a lot of walking for 12 days. I was in the hospital for 11 days. I know I was no where near what you are doing. Good for you. Just don't overdo.

Al at the time i didnt know enough and wasnt aware i had options as far as which valve i could choose. The Surgeon chose the valve. It says it is the ATS Open Pivot Bbileaflet AVG
Pat

Same thing with me. I had no idea I there were other valves. Oh well, welcome and take it easy, little at a time.

Welcome...sounds like your doing really well !

If you have a heart monitor I would say wear that and keep your heart rate in check. Resting rate + 40 for the first few weeks of exercise was the figure I was given. Beyond that I think you can do as much walking as your body will tolerate, you will know when you have done too much.

I would stay away from any kickboxing or pushups for at least 3 months :)

Welcome and congratulations on what seems to be a fantastic start on your recovery. If you haven't already done so, check out the References section - click on the Must Have Reference Links. There's a good one on recovery guidelines (the operative word is guidelines - everyone's different!)
Life After Open Heart Surgery:Frequently asked questions
http://www.heartsurgeons.com/ed5.html

Thanks everyone for the great welcome. I will continue to post updates and progress. I really wish i knew about this forum before the surgery it would have made things a little easier knowing so many other were going thru the same procedures.
Pat

Back