Newbie looking for a cardio in Northern VA

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nearyneary

Hi everyone-- I've been lurking here for a while, but decided to finally post. I had my mitral valve repaired last summer by Dr. Colvin at NYU, but I am unsure how long this repair will hold up. I have had three echoes since the surgery-- the first showed severe regurgitation, the second showed moderate to severe (which is where it was before surgery!), and the third one showed moderate regurgitation, but also showed torn chordae, which is new.

My cardio thinks that the repair was effective, as my left ventricle has shrunk more than a centimeter since the surgery (this is particularly impressive since I have a 30-year history of cardiomyopathy, so my left ventricle has always been slightly enlarged). I'm really hoping that the repair will last, as I'm a 30-year-old woman who's still hoping to have kids, and I'd hate to have to decide between tissue and mechanical valves at this point in my life.

I'm moving to Northern Virginia in the next couple of months, and I'd like to find a cardiologist who specializes in valves. My cardio in NYC suggested finding someone at Washington Hospital Center, but I will be living way out in Loudoun County, and would like to find someone in NOVA if possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Neary

Neary,
I can't help you with the cardio but I did want to welcome you. I hope your repair lasts you through any pregnancies so you won't have to worry. Just remember, if a replacement is needed, you can always go tissue if you want children (of course, more surgery would be indicated down the road). Some people have also had children with mechanicals although it is apparently pretty tricky. Very little is impossible these days.
Hopefully someone will be along soon with cardio suggestions.
Best of luck to you.

Marty will know!

Marty will know!

Neary,
We have an MD member Marty, who always has great advice and he is from VA. Check out his profile and send him a PM as your posting
can sometimes be missed. You can take his advice to the bank!
Welcome and good luck!:)

I lived in Northern Virginia the past six years, and am now resettled in the mountains of western Virginia. I am sure there are lots of great cardios in NoVa and DC/MD but I just wanted to pass along that mine, Dr. Siriprakorn (or Dr. "Siri," as everyone calls him) was great. I saw him in his office in Woodbridge but he had other offices, perhaps including up near where you will be. He was the first to detect my aortic stenosis, and he monitored it VERY closely and explained to me in great detail what I would have to have done. He also did me a great favor in recommending Dr. Alan Speir at Inova Fairfax Hospital to do my valve surgery. Dr. Speir and his group (Cardiovascular & Thoriac Surgery Associates, with several NoVa offices) are great.

Were it not for Dr. Siri and Dr. Speir I probably would not be around today, or at least I would not be doing as well as I am. So I wanted to offer this recommendation from my experience.

I wish for you the best in your move to NoVa.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Neary and welcome !

I have lived in Fairfax County for more than 20 years, and agree with Bob about the excellence of INOVA Fairfax Hospital (http://www.inova.org/inovapublic.srt/index.jsp) and Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery Associates (http://www.cvtsa.com). They took very good care of me when I had my MVR surgery.

For a cardiologist, I highly recommend the Cardiovascular Group (http://www.virginiaheart.com) and especially my guy, Joseph Kiernan. All have been top rated on national and local surveys.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome & helpful responses! My doctors in New York have recommended that I come back here for follow-up, but I don't think that's going to be necessary, as it looks like there are plenty of great doctors in NOVA.

Neary

Latest posts

Back