Newbie confused between diagnosis of Cleveland Clinic and Chitwood :

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash either one are outstanding surgeons. You might want a face to face interview with each to see who gets along with your demeanor better. Yes, it's just that crazy.

I am a 30 yr. old male from Indianapolis diagnosed with Severe Mitral Regurgitation recently. I am pretty much asymptomatic and never felt breathlessness or other stuff.

With severe MV regurge, I'm surprised that you say you're "pretty much asymptomatic." My guess is you're not realizing the symptoms you really have.

And with "severe" regurge, look at scheduling surgery very soon. That severity could go downhill PDQ, and when valves go, the faster they go downhill.

With severe MV regurge, I'm surprised that you say you're "pretty much asymptomatic." My guess is you're not realizing the symptoms you really have.

And with "severe" regurge, look at scheduling surgery very soon. That severity could go downhill PDQ, and when valves go, the faster they go downhill.

Just a personal experience, but I was in the same boat with severe 4+ mitral regurgitation before my surgery three months ago. I thought I was asymptomatic and was exactly that. I don't feel any different now than I did the week before my surgery when I ran approx 30 miles. It probably depends on the person.

Regarding your two surgeons at the Cleveland Clinic, personally, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Ash...I knew I wanted the CC.....but had to choose a surgeon. It was difficult but realized how blessed I was the I was choosing between two of the best in the world.
I also consulted with Dr Lytle......wonderful....I opted for Da Vinci so I went with Gillinov. Interestingly, when I had the "final" pretesting I was not a candidate for the Da Vinci....Had the thoracotomy.....very happy...wonderful experience....I had no symptoms prior (that I recognized) but an sure glad I had it repaired. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Hey Ash. Just want to let you know, as a veteran of robotic mitral valve surgery, i'm here if you have any questions about the experience. feel free to send me a pm. -ryan

Hello Ash, I had Dr. Mihalijevic performed my surgery, Aortic Valve replacement. I would bet if compare the two diagnoses they wouldn’t be far apart from one another, regardless these guys are at the top of there game, when you consider the volume of work these guys do you find that there is not much that they haven’t seen.
Best, Adam

AVR – oct/16/09

Latest posts

Back