New to the site, and in the waiting stage. AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, the On-X Valve was first introduced to the World Market in 1996 (? - I need to double check that date) and approved by the FDA for use in the USA in 2001. When I last checked, On-X had produced over 70,000 valves.

Thanks Al. Any info is helping me at this point. The On-X is still at the top of my list. I spoke of it with my surgeon today and he thought it was a fine choice.

Welcome Pat! I had a Ross done and a AVR and aneurysm repair. Why the Ross? Click on the 'search' feature and type in Ross. You'll see why I ask.

Hi Colleen! Thanks for the welcome :)

So you had a Ross in '97 then a whole bunch more done in '08 ? Sounds like you had a tough time. But I don't understand your post, sorry :( I tried the search like you said and still don't understand. Maybe I'm too tired for this tonight:D

Thanks Al. Any info is helping me at this point. The On-X is still at the top of my list. I spoke of it with my surgeon today and he thought it was a fine choice.

Have you visited the On-X Websites? See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com or call their Headquarters at 888-339-8000.

To use the Search Feature on VR.org, click on "Advanced Search" on the Red Line at the top of the page.
Try keywords "Ross Procedure" or maybe just "procedure" (Ross is also the name of the moderator of this website so that could lead you to his many posts). Be sure to scroll down and use the drop down menu to select "Any Date".

'AL C'

Have you visited the On-X Websites? See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com or call their Headquarters at 888-339-8000.

To use the Search Feature on VR.org, click on "Advanced Search" on the Red Line at the top of the page.
Try keywords "Ross Procedure" or maybe just "procedure" (Ross is also the name of the moderator of this website so that could lead you to his many posts). Be sure to scroll down and use the drop down menu to select "Any Date".

'AL C'

Thanks again Al for the info. Yes, I've been on their sites but I have not called yet. I do plan on it though.

Yeah, I used the search function just fine and came up with many threads that I have already read. I just didn't understand what Colleen meant. Maybe she'll clarify for me.

Hi Pat,
The welcome wagon here...rolling on in! You will find lots of good people and advice here!
I'm not a Ross procedure fan, and I'll tell you why and you can take from it what you want. I have congenital bicuspid valve disease also, of the aortic valve. In 1997 I had the Ross, which already makes you a double valve patient. I didn't take this into consideration, then. Flash forward to 2006 and I had a dilated aortic root of 4.8 which progressed to a 7.0 at the time of the last measurement before OR. At my 2nd OHS it was 8cms in the OR held in place by scar tissue, according to my world reknowned surgeon. My aortic valve was "shredded" and fell apart in his hands. While everyone's situation is different, I have come to see on these boards and while looking up stats, that many "Rossers" become aneurysm patients. The thinking being that the pressure of being in the aortic position is too much for the pulmonary valve, thus aneurysm.
Now, back to you. It would seem time is on your side with this, barring any other complications. If I were 1. asymtomatic and 2. under 4cms, I would not worry, just get your regular checks done and follow up with any questions you have. The benchmark is around 4.5 for surgery from what I have gathered over the years and in my research. I'm not a doctor, just giving you my two cents.
Again, welcome...

Hi Pat,
The welcome wagon here...rolling on in! You will find lots of good people and advice here!
I'm not a Ross procedure fan, and I'll tell you why and you can take from it what you want. I have congenital bicuspid valve disease also, of the aortic valve. In 1997 I had the Ross, which already makes you a double valve patient. I didn't take this into consideration, then. Flash forward to 2006 and I had a dilated aortic root of 4.8 which progressed to a 7.0 at the time of the last measurement before OR. At my 2nd OHS it was 8cms in the OR held in place by scar tissue, according to my world reknowned surgeon. My aortic valve was "shredded" and fell apart in his hands. While everyone's situation is different, I have come to see on these boards and while looking up stats, that many "Rossers" become aneurysm patients. The thinking being that the pressure of being in the aortic position is too much for the pulmonary valve, thus aneurysm.
Now, back to you. It would seem time is on your side with this, barring any other complications. If I were 1. asymtomatic and 2. under 4cms, I would not worry, just get your regular checks done and follow up with any questions you have. The benchmark is around 4.5 for surgery from what I have gathered over the years and in my research. I'm not a doctor, just giving you my two cents.
Again, welcome...

Hi Colleen,

Thanks very much for your post and your advice. I had done a bit of reading on the subject prior to my surgery and came to pretty much the same opinion as you have now.

My wife and I decided not to take the chance and become a double valve patient with the RP, when my only reasons were to avoid anticoagulants and to be able to exercise normally.

Through my pre-op research I learned that warfarin use is much more easily managed than I first thought. And that I would be able to exercise pretty much any way I see fit after under going valve replacement surgery.

Now I'm about 13 weeks post surgery with a 23mm On-X valve in the aortic position and a full sternotomy too! I feel great! I feel at least as good as I did before any symptoms if not better, and I expect that with my ongoing rehab I will feel even better soon.

I'm very happy with my decision, and feel extremely lucky to be back to "normal".

Good to hear from you again Pat! Glad you're doing well. I feel great too and am WAY better than I was before surgery - in fact better than I've been in years. Isn't it great to be back to normal?!!!

Latest posts

Back