New to the Forum and gathering info!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skhs

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi, I am new to the forum, have read a lot of posts and just got a copy of my July 2010 Echo. I tried to do research and make sense of all the numbers, but it seems there is a wide variety in how things are abbreviated and measured so I will throw them out here for your knowledgeable feedback! I think I am struggling the most with the ‘waiting room’ aspect of all of this. Some days I am so tired it’s like a 500 lb weight is on my head but I wonder if that is just stress of life (and a 6 and 4 yr old) or related to BAV? Do you just feel increasingly worse for years?

I am 38 years old and have been an athlete my whole life, but now my cardiologist recommended not to do anything too strenuous as I have some history of syncope and they throw out that ‘sudden death’ fun topic. About 12 years ago I had my first episode on a stairmaster when I just didn’t feel right and woke up on the floor with a black eye and a lot of people staring at me. I had 2 tilt table tests and was given diagnosis of ‘neurocardiogenic syncope’ and put on beta blockers. After 5 months being a zombie they took me off and said to eat more salt, and I became good about monitoring my exercise and heart rate. Amazingly nobody at the time gave me an echocardiogram even though I have been told I had a heart murmur since high school.

Fast forward to 2004 had my first Echo when pregnant and heart murmur was really loud. Diagnosed with BAV but not given any info other than it will be something to deal with when I am old, and to have another Echo in 5 years, so I just put it on the back burner. Just had an updated one in July, and with the rec of the echo tech off I went to a cardiologist and was floored by the news that valve surgery was more of a short term thing, and that I should be careful with exercise, etc. Since then I have done a ton of research, and am making a questions for my next visit this summer.

I also struggle with frequent auras and migraines (4 this week), and am fascinated that they might somehow be related to BAV! I have some high fatigue days and some days that I feel like my heart is ‘skipping’ around. I wonder if these things are just normal for the average joe and now I am just more paranoid….Nice to have a great forum I have appreciated reading everyone’s posts and am slowly finding a way to just process all this given it might be years before surgery, but it is hard not to think about it daily.

Aortic valve 1.57 cm2.

Last edited:
Alright! Welcome to the waiting room! :D

FWIW, your echo numbers are pretty damn similar to mine. I've felt about the same... I just know things aren't where they should be in my chest. I've felt that way for a long time. I get tired easier than other people my age, etc.

This might go without saying, but you should try to stay as healthy as possible while you're here in the waiting room. Keep your blood pressure low, don't smoke, stay away from steroids, lose weight or maintain your weight and keep an eye on your pulmonary health. There are some professionals that think there's some benefit to the ARB Losartan Potassium with aortic disease, and it may be worth a conversation with your doctor about it. If you're having trouble maintaining a decent resting heart rate, it may be worth talking to your doc about a beta blocker too. It may also help with the palpitations... I know it did me. All beta blockers are not created equal, and some have more of a zombie effect than others. It's a process of trial and error sometimes to find the right one. There are also calcium channel blockers....

Last edited:
I can't help with all the numbers (someone here probably can, though!) but if you have experienced recent migraines AND palpitations along with a diagnosed BAV, I would guess that some surgical intervention is in your near future. Comparing your Aortic Valve Area (AVA) at 1.57 cm2 to a normal 3.0-4.0 cm2 for a normal valve is, as indicated, mild stenosis. I would want to keep a close eye on this number as time passes - for some folks the degradation is slow but for others it is relatively quick. Regardless, find a cardiologist you feel comfortable with and be sure he is fully aware of all the conditions you spoke of above.
I mirror what Duff Man said:"I've felt about the same... I just know things aren't where they should be in my chest. I've felt that way for a long time. I get tired easier than other people my age, etc." I think we all try to rationalize what is happening as something minor in order to avoid the thought that it may be something more serious - like our heart. Enjoy the site, as there is tons of good info from folks who have "been there, done that". Oh, and Welcome!

Latest posts

Back