New to site

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judy13

Been reading post for a while now decided it was time to seek others help. I will try to keep it brief. Diagnosed with aortic insufficiency with moderate regurgitation in Oct 2008. Docs are not sure how this could have been undected. i have a tricuspid valve with vegitation they are calling it chronic endocarditis. being controlled on medication. echo every three months since, with no changes. Last month i experienced tingling in both arms left side of face and temporary loss of vision in left eye. Had been of my aspirin for 1 week for unrelated procedure. Docs cant determine if a clot developed on valve due to no aspirin or if a peice of vegitation broke off. Now going for consult with cardiothoracic surgeon in about 10 minutes. Scared to death i may need surgery. Anyone ever heard of vegitation breaking off? any thoughts would be appriciated. 48 y/o female highland, california

Been reading post for a while now decided it was time to seek others help. I will try to keep it brief. Diagnosed with aortic insufficiency with moderate regurgitation in Oct 2008. Docs are not sure how this could have been undected. i have a tricuspid valve with vegitation they are calling it chronic endocarditis. being controlled on medication. echo every three months since, with no changes. Last month i experienced tingling in both arms left side of face and temporary loss of vision in left eye. Had been of my aspirin for 1 week for unrelated procedure. Docs cant determine if a clot developed on valve due to no aspirin or if a peice of vegitation broke off. Now going for consult with cardiothoracic surgeon in about 10 minutes. Scared to death i may need surgery. Anyone ever heard of vegitation breaking off? any thoughts would be appriciated. 48 y/o female highland, california

Welcome, I'm sorry you are having problems. YES the vegitation breaks off pretty frequently,and can cause all kinds of BIG problems. That is why most people who have it from BE, usually have the valve replaced, as soon as they are healthy enough. I'm surprised they didn't do surgery early. What medicane are they using to control it? I have never heard of that before.

PS I wanted to add, I'm not a doctor, but MY guess would be the problem was caused by a clot from your aortic valve, since the Tricuspid valve is on the right side of the heart, if any vegitation broke off, it would go to the lungs, not cause the syptoms you described. But a small clot breaking off the aortic valve goes to the rest of the body so could go to your eyes or brain ect.

Last edited:
I had vegetation breaking off and suffered a stroke as a result.

I am not reading this the same way as Lyn, I thought you were saying that your aortic valve is tricuspid (the normal situation) rather than bicuspid. Perhaps I am the one reading it incorrectly. Regardless of that, I am also suprised that they didn't operate earlier. They cleared my infection then as I was deteriorating fast into heart failure they replaced my two leaking valves.

I had vegetation breaking off and suffered a stroke as a result.

I am not reading this the same way as Lyn, I thought you were saying that your aortic valve is tricuspid (the normal situation) rather than bicuspid. Perhaps I am the one reading it incorrectly. Regardless of that, I am also suprised that they didn't operate earlier. They cleared my infection then as I was deteriorating fast into heart failure they replaced my two leaking valves.

Ah you probably right, her problem is just with her Aortic valve, not both insuffcient Aortic and vegitation on her Tricuspid valve IF that is the case ignore my ps about where the vegistation or clot would go.

I alway thought that was confusing naming the Tricuspid valve that.

Not sure I'am posting correctly. Just got back from surgeon this am. He said he needs to replace my aortic valve ASAP. And yes i did say my aortic valve was a tricuspid valve. Also have leakage with the vegitation. Wants to do angiogram day before surgery to see if i need bypass too. This is happening way too quickly. originally told it could be years before needing sugery. Well came to work after the news and cant seem to keep my mind on anything but surgery. Have lots of questions for you fine folks but not sure where to post. Can anyone direct me?

Not sure I'am posting correctly. Just got back from surgeon this am. He said he needs to replace my aortic valve ASAP. And yes i did say my aortic valve was a tricuspid valve. Also have leakage with the vegitation. Wants to do angiogram day before surgery to see if i need bypass too. This is happening way too quickly. originally told it could be years before needing sugery. Well came to work after the news and cant seem to keep my mind on anything but surgery. Have lots of questions for you fine folks but not sure where to post. Can anyone direct me?

Sorry if I made it more confusing. Probably the best place to post your questions about surgery is the preop forums http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?4-Pre-Surgery Where will you be having your surgery? do you have a date yet?

Check out the presurgery forum, post surgery forum, anticoagulation forum if your thinking of going with a mechanical valve, valve selection forum, just about all your questions can be answered in any of those or you can simply ask what you want to directly. Use the search function also.

It stinks when it's an emergency situation, but death sucks too.

Hi Judy

I am pretty new too. It is really upsetting to find out you need surgery after they tell you there won't be a problem for years. I am facing a aortic valve replacement on Aug 9. So I understand how you are feeling. There is a lot of information here and great folks to offer support. I can't help with many questions since I am in the waiting mode too. I have learned a lot reading here. Pat

So sorry your getting thrown into your surgery. I had a month or so before surgery and your still never prepared . I didn't find this site till after surgery so you have a little luck finding this site . I too was scared and confused after but found the folks here give great answers and support for everything you need to know about valve replacements.

Good Luck

Judy, Sorry about your problems, but glad you found us. When I got the news that I'd need OHS it was such a shock I couldn't face or deal with it. We don't have many choices in that situation, but you do have some chance to choose a valve. Read up, focus on what is important, and empowering, and not on the fear and anxiety. The fact that you found us, shows you are dealing with your news better than I did! Hang on!You are in my thoughts and prayers. Brian

Judy,
Welcome aboard. I do not post often. I also have had aoritc valve replaced, but did the doctor suggest what type of vavle they will replace with? I hope you are doing fine otherwise. We are now have a heat wave for the next few days and am taking precautions. You find out all you can to know what is exactley being done. Education and information is the key to healing. Take care and good luck. We are all here for you. I may be back Saturday. Have a great week.

i also had to have ohs after BE. :( i found it all out really suddenly, just like you. good luck! i know how much it sucks. super amazing thoughts your way! <3

Yep, hearing that you need Heart Surgery kind of gets one's attention and knocks your off your horse for awhile.

The Good News is that you live in a time and age when these problems can be FIXED by Surgeons who have refined Heart Surgery to a Finely Developed Art with an Exception Success Rate (typically 1% risk of morbidity, 1% risk of mortality, on a National Basis. Even Lower Risks at Major Heart Centers).

Keep on Reading and feel free to ask Questions as needed.

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back